How long is too long to go without washing your hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently wash my hair every other day with shampoo without fail. In another thread some people were saying to only wash once a week. That sounds absolutely disgusting. My scalp gets itchy, flakey and greasy the second day after washing. I could never imagine going even an extra day with out a wash. I also use a palm sized amount of shampoo on my hair which is super curly and thick and a bit past my shoulders when straightened. What is the longest you could go without washing your hair?

Disgusting or not, it works for some. I shampoo only once every 7-10 days because it's better got my hair, which is naturally very curly and quite dry. I can use a glob of serum or oil and after 10 minutes, you'd never know I bothered. I condition my hair every time, letting that sink in and cleanse my hair. It feels nice and soft afterward. Standard shampoos are loaded with sulfate s, parables, whatever chemicals that just strip your hair... which leads to your scalp producing more oil to compensate. Oh.. I use a clarifying shampoo, too. No itchy scalp or product buildup for me.

Disgusting or not, it works for some. I shampoo only once every 7-10 days because it's better got my hair, which is naturally very curly and quite dry. I can use a glob of serum or oil and after 10 minutes, you'd never know I bothered. I condition my hair every time, letting that sink in and cleanse my hair. It feels nice and soft afterward. Standard shampoos are loaded with sulfate s, parables, whatever chemicals that just strip your hair... which leads to your scalp producing more oil to compensate. Oh.. I use a clarifying shampoo, too. No itchy scalp or product buildup for me.
I have very curly coarse thick hair as well but my scalp and skin are very oily. Like I washed my hair on Friday and on Saturday my scalp was oily and filled with white greasy flakes. I washed my hair today and by tomorrow the flakes will be back:(.

I wash my hair about every 2 weeks or so in the colder months, and about once a week in the warmer months. But my scalp and hair don't get oily unless I actually put oil on/in it. I'm African American though, with natural hair, so it is a bit different for me. I don't use traditional shampoo either. I use a sulfate free, low suds shampoo made specifically for curly hair (DevaCurl Low-Poo).

I usually wash my hair every 3-4 days but I can go to 5-6 without any problems. My hair won't get greasy and I won't get any flakes or itching.

In the summers where it's 100+ degrees I prefer to wash it every 2-3 days because I can sweat a little, but in the winters I usually average about 4 days, longer if I've kept my hair up in a bun or braid.

Do you have dandruff? What kind of shampoo do you use? Once I switched over to a clarifying and anti-residue shampoo, I noticed a marked change in my scalp. I use everything from hair spray to serum and styling cream in my hair...lots of room for product buildup lol. All that itchy, dry scalp is no more. Also, in switching over to a cowash style hair regimen, your scalp will eventually stop producing as much oil. It's just the adjustment period. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wash my hair about every 2 weeks or so in the colder months, and about once a week in the warmer months. But my scalp and hair don't get oily unless I actually put oil on/in it. I'm African American though, with natural hair, so it is a bit different for me. I don't use traditional shampoo either. I use a sulfate free, low suds shampoo made specifically for curly hair (DevaCurl Low-Poo).
I am african American as well.

Do you have dandruff? What kind of shampoo do you use? Once I switched over to a clarifying and anti-residue shampoo, I noticed a marked change in my scalp. I use everything from hair spray to serum and styling cream in my hair...lots of room for product buildup lol. All that itchy, dry scalp is no more. Also, in switching over to a cowash style hair regimen, your scalp will eventually stop producing as much oil. It's just the adjustment period. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I'm not sure if its dandruff or what but its really gross. I alternate between four shampoos: Philip B Russian Amber Imperial Shampoo Bumble & Bumble Seaweed Shampoo Terax Miele Hydrating Shampoo Terax Collagene Reparative Shampoo No matter which one I use, my roots and the top of my head always wind up greasy by the next day. I always use a palmful of shampoo and massage it in really well.

Try using a clarifying shampoo once a week. Nuetrogena Anti Residue shampoo is great and a go to for me. I had psoriasis on my scalp as a kid and always had flakies. They resolved after treatments and around the age of 16, but I began to notice my scalp itching and some flakies again two years ago. I picked this up after a stylist I knew recommended it and I've been good ever since.

Try using a clarifying shampoo once a week. Nuetrogena Anti Residue shampoo is great and a go to for me. I had psoriasis on my scalp as a kid and always had flakies. They resolved after treatments and around the age of 16, but I began to notice my scalp itching and some flakies again two years ago. I picked this up after a stylist I knew recommended it and I've been good ever since.
Oh my god thanks so much! I will buy it to use for my next wash.

If I wear my hair back I could probably go a long time without washing but since I usually have it down and in my face I wash it everyday.  Just seems right to me. 

I wash my hair about once a week give or take a day. I use living proof prime extender which keeps my hair from getting oily or gross.. I do use dry shampoo but I use it for volume not so much oil and the best dry shampoo I have found and must have tried damn near all of them is bumble and bumble and then on only the ends I use bumble and bumble's hairdressers oil which is amazing!

It depends on how I wash my hair. Usually I can go 3 days and on the fourth I wash it again. But I don't use a lot on my hair, so that's probably why.

every 2-3 days if i go daily my hair gets "fluffy" if i go after 4 days my hair starts to get oil build up

Originally Posted by BajanPrincess /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am african American as well.
Is your hair natural? Relaxed? Texturized? That makes a difference too.

I can't imagine washing my hair as much as you do...it would be awful if I did!! And by awful, I mean my hair and scalp would be so dry that my hair would probably fall out!!

Is your hair natural? Relaxed? Texturized? That makes a difference too. I can't imagine washing my hair as much as you do...it would be awful if I did!! And by awful, I mean my hair and scalp would be so dry that my hair would probably fall out!!
Natural well transitioning still with some relaxed ends left over ( i dont plan to cut them off until my natural hair hits armpit length or bra strap length)but my curls and kinks behave better the day they have been freshly washed. My relaxed ends dont seem to care. I have very oily skin and scalp though. My hair actually has a shine to it from all the oil my scalp produces by the second day lol.

Natural well transitioning still with some relaxed ends left over ( i dont plan to cut them off until my natural hair hits armpit length or bra strap length)but my curls and kinks behave better the day they have been freshly washed. My relaxed ends dont seem to care. I have very oily skin and scalp though. My hair actually has a shine to it from all the oil my scalp produces by the second day lol.
That's very interesting. You're the first natural I've met who washes their hair so often! 

That's very interesting. You're the first natural I've met who washes their hair so often! 
My stepmother is Imdian so we were brought up that it was nasty not to wash daily or every other day at least. My sister only washes twice or three times a week because her scalp isn't as oily as mine and her hair dries out any more than that. What shampoo and conditioner do you use?

I'm not sure if its dandruff or what but its really gross. I alternate between four shampoos:

Philip B Russian Amber Imperial Shampoo

Bumble & Bumble Seaweed Shampoo

Terax Miele Hydrating Shampoo

Terax Collagene Reparative Shampoo

No matter which one I use, my roots and the top of my head always wind up greasy by the next day. I always use a palmful of shampoo and massage it in really well.
Do you have itchy red bumps ever?  I have to wash every 3 days and once a week I use the head and shoulder in the dark blue bottle. It keeps my flakes and itchiness under control. I have mild scalp psoriasis that causes all the flakes.

Do you have itchy red bumps ever?  I have to wash every 3 days and once a week I use the head and shoulder in the dark blue bottle. It keeps my flakes and itchiness under control. I have mild scalp psoriasis that causes all the flakes.
No but i do breakout along my hairline from the oil if I don't wash my hair for longer than 48 hours. I also get white flakes all over my scalp if I prolong a wash.

Back