December 2013 -- Square Hue SPOILERS

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meaganola

Uh Huh Her
Reaction score
We have the preview picture for December!  And warning:  The caffeine is kicking in.  I got...   verbose.

I'm thinking maybe a Statue of Liberty turquoise, a taxi cab yellow (someone was complaining that they send out tons of yellows, but they have only sent out two so far -- because that lightest color in September is chartreuse, which is definitely green to me -- and taxis are an iconic NYC thing, so it makes sense to me), and a City That Never Sleeps night sky blue with microglitter?  Ooh, there's red in there, too, so Big Apple red would make sense.  The picture actually confused me when I initially saw it because I didn't notice the red, and it seems *weird* to have something themed around NYC and *not* have that reference at least in the preview picture.

I'm intrigued by this preview because they have been really good at picking colors to fit each month, whether there's a holiday (all the pinks for Mother's Day, the orange/gold/green for St. Patrick's Day) or just a general traditional feeling for the month (happy florals in April, leaves-are-losing-their-colors-and-falling for September), and at first glance, this doesn't look particularly Christmasy, but I find it hard impossible to believe that this collection won't have an under-the-surface Christmas theme to it, like October:  It was the Moto Collection, but it was definitely a *Halloween* collection.  

Although it's not a traditional Christmas color, I would love a Statue of Liberty/Tiffany blue sort of color.  I know a lot of companies make them, and I have China Glaze For Audrey, but I would prefer a SH version, especially if it wore like Iron Horse and Oil Slick did for me.  Four days without a chip and practically no tip wear!  That's unheard of for me, both because I DO NOT wear the same color for four days and because I usually get quite a bit of tip wear by the second day.  If I capped, I probably wouldn't have *any*.  They probably could have gone longer without any chipping, but I got bored and changed colors at the fourth day in both cases.  Anyway.  Tiffany blue might not be a Christmas sort of color, but it is iconic NYC, and it's a store that gets a *lot* of business this time of year, so there are a *lot* of little blue boxes being opened, so it could actually fit in with the theme *and* the season.  

I kind of feel like I'm learning to read their preview photos, and the colors are usually *obviously right there* in retrospect, but then every once in a while, we get a collection where the colors are perfect for the theme but were definitely not expected given the preview.  April in particular stands out:  I was *shocked* when they had that purple because it was nowhere in the preview picture!  And the colors were unexpectedly vibrant.  I loved that box.  I was very pleasantly surprised by the July box because I was expecting the usual red, white, and blue that everyone does, especially since they had an American flag in one of the photos, but they went in a completely different direction.  Sure, they had a blue, but because the other colors were olive and gold, the collection worked in a completely different way.

Anyway.  I'm excited because of the way the theme is named:  "The Passport Collection:  New York."  It makes it feel like this might be a new series and that we can look forward to, say, Tokyo, London, Seattle, and Sydney collections.  

(I'm also really excited for December because that means that I will be able to break out the Santa Luxe collection again!  I just can't force myself to wear collections outside of their issue month, and I *love* champagne toast, so I've been looking forward to being able to wear that again all year!)

I kept seeing a lot about Square Hue over on the polish-that-shall not-be-named threads and it caught my interest. I think since I just got a new job I'll be signing up! So I think that means December would be my first? If so that preview looks like a good month to start :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hopefully a nice blue or purple, a red would be awesome too.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  We have the preview picture for December!  And warning:  The caffeine is kicking in.  I got...   verbose.

I'm thinking maybe a Statue of Liberty turquoise, a taxi cab yellow (someone was complaining that they send out tons of yellows, but they have only sent out two so far -- because that lightest color in September is chartreuse, which is definitely green to me -- and taxis are an iconic NYC thing, so it makes sense to me), and a City That Never Sleeps night sky blue with microglitter?  Ooh, there's red in there, too, so Big Apple red would make sense.  The picture actually confused me when I initially saw it because I didn't notice the red, and it seems *weird* to have something themed around NYC and *not* have that reference at least in the preview picture.

I'm intrigued by this preview because they have been really good at picking colors to fit each month, whether there's a holiday (all the pinks for Mother's Day, the orange/gold/green for St. Patrick's Day) or just a general traditional feeling for the month (happy florals in April, leaves-are-losing-their-colors-and-falling for September), and at first glance, this doesn't look particularly Christmasy, but I find it hard impossible to believe that this collection won't have an under-the-surface Christmas theme to it, like October:  It was the Moto Collection, but it was definitely a *Halloween* collection.  

Although it's not a traditional Christmas color, I would love a Statue of Liberty/Tiffany blue sort of color.  I know a lot of companies make them, and I have China Glaze For Audrey, but I would prefer a SH version, especially if it wore like Iron Horse and Oil Slick did for me.  Four days without a chip and practically no tip wear!  That's unheard of for me, both because I DO NOT wear the same color for four days and because I usually get quite a bit of tip wear by the second day.  If I capped, I probably wouldn't have *any*.  They probably could have gone longer without any chipping, but I got bored and changed colors at the fourth day in both cases.  Anyway.  Tiffany blue might not be a Christmas sort of color, but it is iconic NYC, and it's a store that gets a *lot* of business this time of year, so there are a *lot* of little blue boxes being opened, so it could actually fit in with the theme *and* the season.  

I don't think it's Christmas, for all that NYC is home to a lot of pop-Americana Christmas images. It think it's New Year's Eve. Just think of what they could do with the Ball at Times Square. =D Although, looking through the past collection there doesn't seem to be anything with super tons of glitter in it, so many not that.

And while I don't subscribe to SH, I have so been debating whether it's worth buying a leftover October box from them. I hate the look of the orange and am indifferent to the black, but that Oil Slick! I want that.

Quote: Originally Posted by Boots /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I kept seeing a lot about Square Hue over on the polish-that-shall not-be-named threads and it caught my interest. I think since I just got a new job I'll be signing up! So I think that means December would be my first? If so that preview looks like a good month to start
smile.gif

Hopefully a nice blue or purple, a red would be awesome too.
Yes, if you sign up now, December would be your first box.  I've been subbing since January and have mostly been very pleased.  Like meaganola has said on another thread, sure, I haven't loved every polish but that's mostly because of personal taste, nothing wrong with the polish itself.

meaganola, your post is verbose but great.  Now I really, really want a color specifically named Big Apple Red!  It and a Statue of Liberty aged patina green, plus I hope a purple, would indeed be both New York-ish and holiday-related.  However, I think my wanting both a red and a purple is unrealistic because their first box in December of last year had a red, a purple, and a champagne gold.

When I say "too many" yellow polishes, I don't actually mean sheer numbers, just that in my opinion yellow polishes are hard for a lot of people to wear because they don't flatter a lot of skin tones the way, say, pinks and neutrals do.  Yellowish polishes generally look dreadful on me so I don't own many.  I do like the butter yellow SqH had in the April box -- I loved all the colors in that box!  Seems like a taxi cab yellow would look like the bright yellow from the August box, but if it was a metallic or glitter or duochrome it'd be different.  A dark gold glitter or foil, much darker than July's Honor, would be pretty.  It's fun to speculate.

Quote: Originally Posted by Boots /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I kept seeing a lot about Square Hue over on the polish-that-shall not-be-named threads and it caught my interest. I think since I just got a new job I'll be signing up! So I think that means December would be my first? If so that preview looks like a good month to start
smile.gif

Hopefully a nice blue or purple, a red would be awesome too.

Yes, if you sign up now, December would be your first month.  Future charges will be at pretty much the exact same date and time you sign up, so if you sign up at 7:35pm tonight, next month will charge at pretty much 7:35pm on the 3rd.  Daylight Savings may shift the hour forward or back, and the minute may move around by a couple of minutes, but this is a company that charges like literal clockwork.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think it's Christmas, for all that NYC is home to a lot of pop-Americana Christmas images. It think it's New Year's Eve. Just think of what they could do with the Ball at Times Square. =D Although, looking through the past collection there doesn't seem to be anything with super tons of glitter in it, so many not that.

And while I don't subscribe to SH, I have so been debating whether it's worth buying a leftover October box from them. I hate the look of the orange and am indifferent to the black, but that Oil Slick! I want that.

They have historically matched the colors to the holiday of the month, whether the theme seems to match or not.  Given who runs this company, I can't believe that they would not do a sort of hidden second theme where the stated theme is NYC, but then the colors will also fit in with Christmas *in addition to* New Year's.  They *could* work for New Year's, but since Christmas is *the* holiday for Christians, it would just seem weird for *this company* to not address it, even if it's not the official theme.  I really appreciate their first box for this:  The colors are *perfect* for Christmas, but it wasn't like Target's holiday section where it's RED AND GREEN AND CHRISTMAS AND ANXIETY ATTACK everywhere, and they were also just a great set of colors.  I think champagne toast (which felt like their nod to New Year's) was my go-to color for any sort of social event last year aside from my office's holiday luncheon (we had a bigwig attend it, and I wasn't sure how it would go over with him, so I went with holly berry.  I normally DO NOT wear red, but I fell in love with that one!).

And if you like Oil Slick but not the other two, I would suggest essie for the twill of it or OPI Peace Love & OPI.  They're all pretty much dupes.  I have all three, but since I prefer Square Hue bottles, I'm sticking with Oil Slick whenever the mood strikes for this shade.  The color shift might be a little different, but given the price of the box versus the single bottles, I'm not sure it's really worth buying the leftover box just for that single color.  

Quote: Originally Posted by TheSilverNail /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I say "too many" yellow polishes, I don't actually mean sheer numbers, just that in my opinion yellow polishes are hard for a lot of people to wear because they don't flatter a lot of skin tones the way, say, pinks and neutrals do.  Yellowish polishes generally look dreadful on me so I don't own many.  I do like the butter yellow SqH had in the April box -- I loved all the colors in that box!  Seems like a taxi cab yellow would look like the bright yellow from the August box, but if it was a metallic or glitter or duochrome it'd be different.  A dark gold glitter or foil, much darker than July's Honor, would be pretty.  It's fun to speculate.

I don't think you were the person I was remembering saying are there were too many yellows.  I remember someone complaining somewhere that they were getting too many yellows from SquareHue, and they *were* talking about sheer numbers, but the impression I got was that they were getting SH mixed up with Julep, who *does* seem to have a yellow pretty much every month.  I wish sub boxes would lay off the yellows because it seems like it's just a hard color to get in a decent formula.  I have no clue how colors affect formulas, but the vast majority of yellows I've tried -- regardless of company -- are streaky and a royal pain in the ass to work with.  I love that yellow from April, and it does look good on me, but it's a nightmare to apply.

I don't think you were the person I was remembering saying are there were too many yellows.  I remember someone complaining somewhere that they were getting too many yellows from SquareHue, and they *were* talking about sheer numbers, but the impression I got was that they were getting SH mixed up with Julep, who *does* seem to have a yellow pretty much every month.  I wish sub boxes would lay off the yellows because it seems like it's just a hard color to get in a decent formula.  I have no clue how colors affect formulas, but the vast majority of yellows I've tried -- regardless of company -- are streaky and a royal pain in the ass to work with.  I love that yellow from April, and it does look good on me, but it's a nightmare to apply.
Well, maybe it wasn't me, especially since I've never tried Julep (constantly tempted, but never tempted enough!), but I **have** said "Please, no more yellows!" about SqH on several occasions.  I just know of very few people who want to wear yellow polish and who look good in it.

I don't think it's sheer numbers of yellows, it just seems like a lot of golds and yellows in the 6 months I've been with them.  I don't want anymore right now!

Based on the picture, I'm wondering if it might be a turquoise or aqua-ish glitter?  Purple and red are both frequently associated with Xmas but last December they did red, purple and that gorgeous champagne colour, which I am sad I don't have, so I dunno if they would do a repeat.  Whatever it is, I just love the surprise of it...even if there is another stupid yellow!

My fav yellow is China Glaze Happy Go Lucky.   I've never had a problem with it.  Whites, however, are the bane of my existence.  I don't know what it is about white that makes it so hard to get right.

Yes, if you sign up now, December would be your first month.  Future charges will be at pretty much the exact same date and time you sign up, so if you sign up at 7:35pm tonight, next month will charge at pretty much 7:35pm on the 3rd.  Daylight Savings may shift the hour forward or back, and the minute may move around by a couple of minutes, but this is a company that charges like literal clockwork.
Wow, seems like a pretty reliable company so far. And December is their year #1, so that's also a neat box to get. Interesting to see what they do for their anniversary box, if anything special or not. 

And if you like Oil Slick but not the other two, I would suggest essie for the twill of it or OPI Peace Love & OPI.  They're all pretty much dupes.  I have all three, but since I prefer Square Hue bottles, I'm sticking with Oil Slick whenever the mood strikes for this shade.  The color shift might be a little different, but given the price of the box versus the single bottles, I'm not sure it's really worth buying the leftover box just for that single color.  

Successfully enabled! Now to twiddle my thumbs while I wait for the Essie to arrive.

It was probably me. I count as yellow gold and yellow-green - basically anything with a strong yellow hue - which brings my total to five since I started in February.

March - Pale Ale

April - Yellow Submarine

July - Honor

August - Bikini Beach

September - Grassland Safari

It just seemed like overkill for awhile, especially on a shade that's so difficult to wear, depending on one's skin tone. And the formula issues you mention are so true for both yellows and whites, which make them even more finicky. Julep has a yellow every month, but I usually don't choose that box. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

To be fair, I use Honor, BB, and YS often, even though they all look terrible on me. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I would add Paris and Milan to the list of predicted cities, purely for fashion reasons. Mumbai would be a gorgeous box -- and probably include a saffron, LOL! I wonder if the starburst pattern of color in December's image indicates some sort of holo finish? Or at least iridescent glitter?

Well, now that we're seeing the November colors in the other thread, I don't think the December box will contain a

teal blue
 or any

blue
for that matter.  I'm going to guess red, purple, and dark gold.  :)

@meaganola Thanks for the dupe recs! I got the Essie today and have not been able to stop staring at my nails. I love it so much! 

Quote: Originally Posted by TheSilverNail /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Well, now that we're seeing the November colors in the other thread, I don't think the December box will contain a

teal blue
 or any

blue
for that matter.  I'm going to guess red, purple, and dark gold.  :)

But would they do a purple, red and gold for a second year in a row for December? My guess is some sort of green and silver.

Quote: Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But would they do a purple, red and gold for a second year in a row for December? My guess is some sort of green and silver.
You're right, probably not.  Duh, me!  I don't think they've done a pure silver yet.... a silver foil and a bright emerald green shimmer would be awesome.

You're right, probably not.  Duh, me!  I don't think they've done a pure silver yet.... a silver foil and a bright emerald green shimmer would be awesome.
No silvers yet! The closest was champagne toast. I really hope this is an all-shimmer/foil/frost/metallic box. It's festivities season! Let's skip the creams!

No silvers yet! The closest was champagne toast. I really hope this is an all-shimmer/foil/frost/metallic box. It's festivities season! Let's skip the creams!

After going back and looking at the preview picture, maybe they're doing a holo of some sort? Or at least another duochrome, I really don't know. But I'm guessing something sparkly and metallic.

This!!!!!  :-D

Latest posts

Back