How much does your face cost?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I originally saw this question posted on a blog, and thought it was a fun question to post - can be scary as well when you add up the cost of the items you use on a daily basis to do your face makeup.

So how much does your face cost?
Here's mine - it will change from day to day because I don't wear the exact same thing everyday - so Im just going to go with what I have on today - this is an estimate of course - Prices based on online, or estimates of what wound up paying for it:

**For my MAC Products, you'll notice the prices are lower due to my PPID membership status - so I always get at a discount

Acne Treatment - Vichy Effaclar Duo $9 *what i paid with a sale and my discount

Face:

Primer: Philosophy The Present - $30

Foundation: Revlon Photoready - $11

Covergirl 3 in 1       - $11

Becca concealer - $0 (this was given to me - yay saved me $28 bucks)

Revlon Photoready bronzer - $4

The Balm InStain Blush (Lace) $10

Milani Mineral Face Powder - $8

Eyes:

Maybelline Instant Age Rewind - $10

Garnier Dark Circle Corrector - $10

Eve Pearl Salmon Duo Corrector - $23

MAC Paintpot  - $14

MAC pigment - $15

Mac e/s 2 used - $14 total

Urban Decay Skull Pallette - $12

Stila Liquid Eyeliner (from set) $19

Revlon W/P Eyeliner - $10

Almay w/p mascara - $4

Maybelline Lots of Lashes  - $6

Lips

NYX Nude Pink lipliner $2

Revlon Peach Petal gloss $4

TOTAL - $226 - and that's mostly drugstore/sale items!

I have 2 other products that I used today I don't know the price because they were sample sizes and I cant remember if or what I paid for them, they are for

Benefit - Porefessional  

Lorac Spotlight highlighter

I'd love to see what everyone's comes up with 

Don't be scared!

eek.gif

Today's makeup that I have on right now (not going to even go into skincare stuff haha). 

Face:

Primer: Smashbox Photo Finish Primer $36

Foundation: Makeup Forever HD Invisible Cover Foundation $42

Concealer: MAC Studio Finish Concealer $18

Powder: Cover Fx Matte Setting Powder $32

Setting Spray: Urban Decay Chill Makeup Setting Spray $29 

Bronzer: Tarte Bronzer in Park Avenue Princess $29

Blush: Tarte Blush in Dollface $26

Highlight: Stila Shimmer in Kitten $12 (Black Friday, woot)

Eyes:

Eye Primer: Lorac Behind the Scenes Eye Primer $21

Eyeshadow: Urban Decay Naked 3 $52

Eyeliner: MAC Fluidline in Dipdown $16

Eyelash Primer: Jane Iredale Purelash Conditioner $16.50

Mascara: Buxom Lash $19

Lips

Lip liner: ELF Lip Lock Pencil $3

Lipstick: Nyx Extra Creamy Lipstick in Ceto $4 (From Ipsy)

Lip Gloss: BareMinerals Marvelous Moxie in Smooth Talker $18

TOTAL - $TOO MUCH ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

But are you factoring the total cost of the product OR the actual amount used?

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  But are you factoring the total cost of the product OR the actual amount used?
It would be way to hard to figure out the exact amount used, and it's all for fun (or a stark realization of how much I overspend on makeup) anyway hehe. 

Face: Benefit porefessional: $30 Covergirl 3 in 1 foundation: $9 Hourglass ambient light powder in diffused light: $48 Blush: elf tickled pink $3 Highlighter: theBalm Mary louminizer $15 from haute look Bronzed: too faced sun bunny- part of the few of my favorite things palette so not sure how to breaks this down? Eyes: Too faced chocolate milk and Bouche de Noel from the a few of my favorite things palette. Same issue with cost. Sephora waterproof eyeliner in brown $9 maybe? Not sure it's old. Benefit they're real: $20 Cover girl clump crusher on my bottom lashes: $8 maybe? Too faced shadow insurance: $20 Lips: Clinique almost lipstick in black honey-free from sephora! Rosebud salve-$6 Not too bad today!

Uhhh. I know mine is going to be bad. And this is stuff I use on normal day. Primer - Paul & Joe Foundation Primer - $42 Foundation - Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua - $58 Concealer - YSL Anti-Cernes - $35 Highlighter - YSL Touché Éclat - $40 Highlighter 2 - Smashbox Soft Lights - $30 Bronzer - Too Faced Chocolate Soleil - $30 Powder - Chantecaille White Tiger Poudre Delicate - $82 Lip Balm - By Terry Baume De Rose - $59 Lip Liner - Etude House Soft Touch Automatic - $5 Eyebrow Pencil - Etude House Drawing Brow - $5 Eyeliner - Guerlain Liquid Eyeliner - $40 Eyeshadow Primer - UD PP - $12 Eyeshadow - UD Naked 3 - $52 Mascara - Chanel Le Volume - $35 Total: $525. Holy Crap.

Yes it can get pretty complicated but I'd like to think of it like this:

If you had to recreate your FOTD and buy all the products at once, how much would it cost you (even if its using 1 shadow from a palette etc.... )

Its always gonna be a guesstimate - but I think its a fun way just to gauge how much our 'beauty' costs us on a daily basis.

wow  - yea that's a pretty penny - 

but on your behalf I will say makeup is an investment.... and I think a majority of the products we buy can last us years to come

(I had MAC blush for about 8 years before I finally used it up - obviously I didnt wear blush on a regular basis those days, but it was still good)  so don't feel too bad.

My eyes were drawn to that $59 lip balm though - goodgod!  is it worth it? LOL

and how is that Chantecaille poudre?  it looks too pretty to use (the lion engraving)

Let's see: Today's face cost was:

Bye Bye Redness $34

MAC Blot powder $25

Josie Maran Cheek gelee $22

Maskcara illuminator $13

Cover girl mink eyeliner as lipliner $5

Le Metier de Beaute lipstick $16 (purchased at half price)

Starlooks brow kit $30

Le Metier de Beaute liquid liner in Armetis $15 ish(was on sale can't find price though)

YSL faux cils Shocking mascara (free sample)

$160! Not too bad. This admittedly was a light makeup day though.

Quote: Originally Posted by MUMami /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  wow  - yea that's a pretty penny - 

but on your behalf I will say makeup is an investment.... and I think a majority of the products we buy can last us years to come

(I had MAC blush for about 8 years before I finally used it up - obviously I didnt wear blush on a regular basis those days, but it was still good)  so don't feel too bad.

My eyes were drawn to that $59 lip balm though - goodgod!  is it worth it? LOL

and how is that Chantecaille poudre?  it looks too pretty to use (the lion engraving)
Yes, the $59 lip balm is worth it. I used to have dry, peeling lips that would flake off in gross bloody pieces. I couldn't wear lip colors for a long time because of how horrible my lips were. I've tried every drugstore lip balm plus nearly every lip balm sold in Sephora. I also tried tons of lip scrubs. Every one of them failed to produce lasting results. It took me at least 3 years to find something that worked. This balm works. Even when it gets wiped off during the day, the effects of it remains even if the balm isn't there anymore. I will gladly pay $59 every time I need more. But the jar is huge and the amount you need is so little. One jar can last more than a year if needed.

The Chantecaille powder is also exquisite. It made my skin both look and feel softer. But I'm sure you can find the same quality for less. I got it on sale. I don't think I'd pay full price for it. But the proceeds from the powder go to tiger preservation.

Face:
      Hard Candy Glamoflauge concealer- $3
      Flower beauty tinted moisturizer- $8
      TKB Trading Silica Micro-spheres- $~3
      ELF Studio Blush- $3

Eyes:
      Too Faced Shadow Insurance- $0 (got it free with points)
      Urban Decay Naked Basics (used for eyebrows and eyeshadow)- $27
      Maybelline Falsies Mascara- $6
      Hard Candy stick concealer (came in a set with the concealer so I split the cost in half)- $3

Lips
      One of the Maybelline Baby Lips- $3

TOTAL: $56

I have a pretty basic everyday makeup routine. A lot of these products last me forever so I'm pretty happy with my ending total :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This would be super interesting for those who are fairly consistent and would actually be able to calculate a price per day based on how much is used per day. For curiousity, I've tried to observe how long things like foundation last for me, but obviously eyeshadow, when you use a huge variety, is really difficult to calculate! But foundation is something like this for me:

1 container of Alima foundation lasts 3 - 6 months. Cost of $25.

3 months (to be on the expensive and on the conservative side to avoid underestimation) x 30 days = 90 days use

$25 / 90 days = 28 cents a day

It gets interesting when you can break it down like this...

Face: Clinique Moisture Surge Intense: $80something (got the jumbo size from the nordstrom sale) Kiehl's BB Cream: $37 Tarte Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder: free - I traded for samples until I had the equivalent of 2 full sized ones. We can say $22 for one based on the Sephora sale Eyes: UDPP - $20 (but I do have a ton of samples which will get me through if the full size EVER runs out lol) Mary Loumanizer - $24 (currently finishing up the BB sample but I do have this in my Balm Jovi so $24 is an estimate) Sometimes a Couple Other Eyeshadows Probably UD or Stila - $10-$18 ea. UD 24/7 liquid liner or Eyeko: $16-22 (but I hoard Eyeko samples) They're Real: $22 (I have multiple samples and a full size of this) Lips Hurray lip balm: $4 OCC Liptar OR UD Revolution: $18-$22 Wowzers! My cost saving efforts come via trades and stocking up on samples of things I like

Never really thought of it like this before!  But I guess if I wanted to recreate my exact makeup look I would need to buy:

Too Faced Primed and Poreless Primer    $24  I buy this cheaper than retail on the military base, just wish they carried more brands!

Stila Brighten and Correct Concealer        $5  from their warehouse sale!

Stila Perfect and Correct foundation         $44

NYX HD Setting Powder                          $10

Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush                    $26

Urban Decay Primer Potion                     $20

Urban Decay Vice 2 Palette                    $59

Urban Decay 24/7 Liner                          $19

Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara       $19  I buy this cheaper than retail on the military base

Maybeline eye brow pencil                      $6

Urban Decay 24/7 Lip Pencil                   $8  I bought several of the vintage ones

Urban Decay Lip Junkie gloss                  free mini I got with an order awhile back

Grand total: $240!

I used retail prices but I got most of these items in sets, GWPs, or during BOGO 1/2 off sales.

First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser - $20 (came in set)

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Face Moisturizer - $22 (I only buy their stuff in sets)

Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer - $8 (BOGO)

Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer - $42

CoverFX Illuminating Setting Powder - $10 (travel size)

Lorac Behind the Scenes eye shadow primer - $21 (came in set)

Kat Von D Ladybird palette - $36?

Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner - $10 (BOGO)

Urban Decay Zero pencil liner - $10 (came w/palette)

Buxom Lash mascara - $10 (GWP)

Anastasia Brow Wiz - $21

Anastasia Brow Gel - $22

Maybelline Color Sensational High Shine Lip Gloss - $7 (BOGO)

Urban Decay All-night spray - $6? (travel size/GWP)

Touch-ups: Urban Decay De-slick powder - $32

Grand total: $277

edit: I just realized that I forgot about my brows :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

*Prices approximate based off local drug stores (or online if not available local)

Today:

Maybelline Foam Foundation - $10

Rimmel Stay Matte - $10

Rimmel Natural Bronzer - $10

Pixi Bronzer - $15

UD Primer Potion - $15

Unknown Brand Eyeshadow Palette - $15

EM Cosmetics Liner - $20

Rimmel Gel Liner - $10

NYX Jumbo Pencil - $5

Avon Eye Shadow - $5

Essence Brow Pencil - $3

ELF Lashes - $3

Essence Mascara - $5

No Bleeding Lips - $20

EOS Lip Balm - $5

Rimmel Kate Lipstick - $8

Total: $169

Wow I love this question! Thank you for asking us to share. Here's my price:

Benefit Porefessional Primer-$30.00
Makeup Forever Concealer - $ 32.00
Makeup Forever Foundation- $34.00
Kat Von D Blush- $25.00
kat Von D Lipstick - $19.00
Anastacia eyebrow pencil -$21.00
Makeup Forever Eyebrow Seal - $18.00
Smashbox Hyperlash Mascara- $22.00
Tarte Cream Eyeliner -$24.00
Urban Decay Makeup Setting Spray -$29.00

Total- $254.00

Obviously, most of my paycheck goes to Sephora...

Here's my average daily makeup for a regular day (assuming I woke up on time xP) Face: Nature Republic Green Tea Emulsion - $16 (day moisturizer) Maybelline Dark Circle Eraser - $12 Sephora Smoothing and Brightening Concealer - $21 Lioele Water Drop BB Cream - $14 Etude House Face Designing Brightener in Wannabe - $8 Benefit Rockateur Blush - $40 Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Ethereal - $50 Eyes: The Face Shop Make Me Star liner in Snow Angel - $8 NYX jumbo pencil in Milk - $12 Lancome le stylo liner in Black -$30 MAC extra dimension shadow in Havana - $19 Chanel Illusion d'Ombre shadow in Emerveille - $45 Too Faced Boudoir Eyes Palette (colour In The Buff) - $45 MAC fluidline in Blacktrack - $20 Lancome Hypnose Doll Lashes mascara - $32 Lips: Burt's Bees mango lip balm $5 MAC lipstick in Shy Girl - $15 All prices are approximately what I paid in CAD. Total cost = $380

$12 for nyx jumbo pencil ?! Then I saw you listed Canadian prices...heart attack averted lol. Thanks for sharing!

Back