Traveling Journal

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babs28

Marine Corps Barbie
Reaction score
Hi ladies!

This is the thread that will figure out how the Traveling Journal is going to work.
icon_biggrin.gif
 I will be the one coordinating it's travel, picking it up (unless someone has one they want to donate), and getting a consensus on how everyone wants it to work.  

A few things we should figure out:

1. The order in which it's sent in (I was thinking alphabetical by screen name)
  2. What to do when someone new wants to join
  3. Whether to put pictures in it (it will increase the cost of shipping) 
  4. How long someone gets to keep it 
  5. When to resend it to the first people who write in it (so they can read what others wrote)
  6. What to do when it's filled.

I'll be keeping a spreadsheet with everyone's name and address (so PM me if you are interested)  and I'll send a copy to UsofJessamerica in case I get hit by a bus or fall off the face of the earth.

I think a good time to start the journal on it's US journey would be in the beginning of January so hopefully we can figure everything out by then.

Also, I'm supposed to let everyone know that you are not providing this information to a MUT Staff Member. So MUT is not responsible or liable for the sharing of personal information.

Oooh, I want to join. Here's my initial take on the things we would need to figure out. I'm not saying my way is the right way, just giving my thoughts on it, like everybody else who wants to participate should do. It'll be too late to make suggestions after it's sent. 1. I like the idea of it going by where we're located, rather than alphabetically. Or maybe put all the names in and draw randomly for the order. 2. There should be a specific date to join by. After that, start the sign ups for the next Traveing Journal. Unless it's a really big journal, it's got maybe 100 pages, and if we start with 25 people, having 25 more join while it's making the rounds is going to severely limit space available for each individual to write. 3. I say Yes to pictures. 4. How long each person keeps it? 7 to 14 days seems long enough. For a 25-person group, it will take almost a year to make the full rounds at 2 weeks each. 15 people would make it about 30 weeks max., which is still about 7 months. 5. When to send it back? I would say we should try to make sure the person at the beginning gets it back with enough room left so she can also be the last one to write in it--finish it up, so to speak. 6. When it's full? Set a general guideline of the number of pages each person can write/decorate/glue pictures to. I would not want someone at the end of the list to miss their turn because it was full before it got 1/2 way through the group. I guess if it did get full, the person who has it at that time should start a new one and send the full one back to the starting person. There definitely needs to be a consensus on this before any sending gets done. Other Stuff 7. What kind of journal? It should have a lot of pages, but not be flimsy. I use Canson brand from Barnes & Noble. They're sturdy, but maybe don't have enough pages for a group thing. A regular notebook won't stand up to life in my purse, let alone traveling in multiple purses and being shipped back and forth all the time. 8. If a lot of people want to participate, can we do multiple Traveling Journals? Like by region or something? Or say every 15 people who sign up are 1 group, and the next 15 are group 2, and so on? 9. Shipping costs. Make sure everybody knows it could increase quite a bit by the end. My journal weighs a good 5 ounces (or more) empty. 10. Everyone needs to have input on the things we need to work out beforehand. 11. I strongly advocate preventing people who have only been on MUT a very short time from taking part in any sort of traveling swap. Everyone needs to be vetted to lessen the chance the Traveling Journal will disappear.

Quote: Originally Posted by peridotcricket /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oooh, I want to join. Here's my initial take on the things we would need to figure out. I'm not saying my way is the right way, just giving my thoughts on it, like everybody else who wants to participate should do. It'll be too late to make suggestions after it's sent.

1. I like the idea of it going by where we're located, rather than alphabetically. Or maybe put all the names in and draw randomly for the order.

2. There should be a specific date to join by. After that, start the sign ups for the next Traveing Journal. Unless it's a really big journal, it's got maybe 100 pages, and if we start with 25 people, having 25 more join while it's making the rounds is going to severely limit space available for each individual to write.

3. I say Yes to pictures.

4. How long each person keeps it? 7 to 14 days seems long enough. For a 25-person group, it will take almost a year to make the full rounds at 2 weeks each. 15 people would make it about 30 weeks max., which is still about 7 months.

5. When to send it back? I would say we should try to make sure the person at the beginning gets it back with enough room left so she can also be the last one to write in it--finish it up, so to speak.

6. When it's full? Set a general guideline of the number of pages each person can write/decorate/glue pictures to. I would not want someone at the end of the list to miss their turn because it was full before it got 1/2 way through the group. I guess if it did get full, the person who has it at that time should start a new one and send the full one back to the starting person. There definitely needs to be a consensus on this before any sending gets done.

Other Stuff

7. What kind of journal? It should have a lot of pages, but not be flimsy. I use Canson brand from Barnes & Noble. They're sturdy, but maybe don't have enough pages for a group thing. A regular notebook won't stand up to life in my purse, let alone traveling in multiple purses and being shipped back and forth all the time.

8. If a lot of people want to participate, can we do multiple Traveling Journals? Like by region or something? Or say every 15 people who sign up are 1 group, and the next 15 are group 2, and so on?

9. Shipping costs. Make sure everybody knows it could increase quite a bit by the end. My journal weighs a good 5 ounces (or more) empty.

10. Everyone needs to have input on the things we need to work out beforehand.

11. I strongly advocate preventing people who have only been on MUT a very short time from taking part in any sort of traveling swap. Everyone needs to be vetted to lessen the chance the Traveling Journal will disappear.
Great suggestions, Tammy! 
My responses are directed for everyone's input. So if you are interested, please respond.

1. I suggested using screen names alphabetically as that was a way I thought we could do it randomly since not everyone's screen name is their name but geographically works too. 

2.  What is a good join by date?  We need to establish that now so that everyone has time to submit ideas and we can come to a consensus. Does Jan 30th sound like a good date to get everyone's input?

4. 25 is a great number to limit it to.  4 pages per person over a year. If we have more than one journal, we will need 1 person to coordinate for each journal.

7. I can go to Barnes and Noble and check out a few other paper places near me to find different options for hardcover journals/books.  My post office guy is awesome so I can go in with weights and ask him about costs, etc..
10. Post your suggestions, please!!

11.  We could use the same guidelines as the secret santa for the journal 50 posts and a one month membership.  We would only be sending a journal, not a box of pretties and such so the likelihood (i hope anyway) would be less for the journal to disappear.

If we have multiple one's going on I don't mind volunteering to be the starter journal.

It would be fun if we did something like a story that everyone keeps adding to at the bottom of the page or something lol.

I vote sketchbook (blank pages) vs one with lined pages. 

I'm already so excited!

I think January 30th is a good date to shoot for. It will give people plenty of time to sign up, and enough time to hash out the details, but it's not too far away, and I like the idea of getting started sooner rather than later.

The deadline for signups is submitting suggestions is Jan 30th.

Once we have more suggestions, I'll be creating polls so we can "vote by majority" to see how the journal will work.

I totally agree with [@]peridotcricket[/@] 's suggestions. [@]Babs28[/@] and I are working out some deets right now! The type of journal is definitely important and there are those nice Picadilly ones at Barnes and Noble that are fairly inexpensive but sturdy. As for shipping costs, I think we can get away with using media mail which is cheaper but typically slower. I also agree that order by region is the most logical! Considering how this is a journal rooted in a beauty community, I would imagine that pictures and stickers and the like are natural!! The worst traveling journal I experienced was when someone used liquid glue instead of a stick or tape and it weighed down the whole thing and gummed up some pages >.< Hopefully we have more people signing up!

I'm fine with it going by username because it seems the most random, now that I look at it, but I was thinking that shipping it to the nearest person might save on postage. Media mail sounds like a good idea. It's essentially an altered book. I used to do Artist Trading Card swaps from 2005 to 2008, but I've never participated in a Traveling Journal.

Do we want to have some common prompts? i've never participated in anything like this, so not sure what one writes in a traveling journal!

I would like to participate, although I am agreeing with @Dayo Steph and I am nit sure what one would write in it. I am fine with the alphabetical order and I think people could message the organizer if they are going on vacation or something similar (if it is something plannable) to make sure it doesn't get stuck somehwere. I am fine with photos od post cards to be included. Considering there will be shipping time inbetween each member, I think 14 days tops on keeping the journal. I bet that can be hard agains the end when you want to read through everything written so far.What kind of shipping method is everyone thinking of?

Oh! *stumbles in* I know it's been a few days since the last post but I think this is an awesome idea. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'd love in!

@Dayo Steph  And I like the idea of some prompts in case you can't think of what to write. But I've never done a traveling journal so what do I know?

Also, are there any requirements or pre-requisites to join? Thought I'd ask, just in case. 
smile.gif

Hi!

I'm working on posting the guidelines and prompts.  Its been a busy few days for me and I've been sick since New Years. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I hope to have them posted by tomorrow.  

Sorry for the delay!

Quote: Originally Posted by Babs28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hi!

I'm working on posting the guidelines and prompts.  Its been a busy few days for me and I've been sick since New Years. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I hope to have them posted by tomorrow.  

Sorry for the delay!
Sounds great! And I hope you feel better; no pressure to hurry if you need a nice nap! 
hug.gif

Sorry to keep you all in suspense.  Here they are, the Traveling Journal guidelines.

Who can participate:

Any MUT member for a minimum of 6 months as of January 15th & 100 posts OR at least 2 positive trades.

You must provide your full name, address and email to Babs28 (usofjessamerica will also have a copy of the participant list in case something happens to me) no later than Jan 15th.

How the journal will travel:

Alphabetically by MUT username

How the journal will be "shared":

We will get a journal so that each participant will have 4 pages (2 front and back) to write in/use an will be able to keep the journal for 10 days. We could send the journal around twice, the second time would be for everyone to read what was written after them.

The journal starter, ender and by default the one who keeps the journal at the end:

Jannie135 offered to start. She could start or we could go by the first person who comes up alphabetically by MUT username. If it's me, it will be the next person on the list.  I don't think the coordinator should be the one to keep the journal.

What to write:

These are the "prompts" that you can use as a guide.  Remember, they are only a guide:

1. A little bit about you. 
  2. why do you love to wear make up? 
  3. Your Best kept beauty secret.
  4. One make up tip you'd only share with your best friend.
  5. If you were stranded on an island and could only have 1 beauty product for the rest of your life, what would it be?
  6. Share one random fact or secret about yourself.
  7. Share some pictures of yourself, maybe one with and one without make up. 
    icon_wink.gif
     Just a suggestion! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

​These are only prompts and you do not HAVE to do any of the above. You can do whatever you like, use the 4 pages to tell us about yourself, a story about yourself, your make up routine, post pictures in it, etc. Have fun.

Mailing:

To keep costs down, we can use Media mail, unless you don't mind spending a little extra to send regular mail.

A few don'ts:

Do not use staples. (it makes the book thicker). If you put in pictures, use a glue stick or tape the corners.  Please don't use rubber cement to glue your pictures in.

Edited to remove "reviews" - only positive trades count!  Sorry!

Aw darn, I was hoping to participate but I don't meet the guidelines since I'm still relatively new to MUT. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Oh well, I guess there is always next time. Enjoy it, ladies! I'm imagining this will turn into an amazing scrapbook!

Quote: Originally Posted by jocedun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aw darn, I was hoping to participate but I don't meet the guidelines since I'm still relatively new to MUT.
frown.gif
Oh well, I guess there is always next time.

Enjoy it, ladies! I'm imagining this will turn into an amazing scrapbook!
Me too. 
frown.gif
 Oh well. We can catch the next journal together! 
biggrin.gif

Send me your addresses, ladies. There are only a few more days left!!!!

Who will keep it at the end? I don't see that question actually addressed anywhere.

Also how do we sign up? Just PM you our address?

Latest posts

Back