February 2014 -- SquareHue SPOILERS

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I'm such a nail polish hoor, I thought I'd start February's discussion.  What do you want to see in the February (Tokyo) box?  What do you THINK we'll see?  Here's the picture (click on it to see a larger version):

The tagline on SqH's web site is "Nails Ablaze, Harajuku Style" and so I'm hoping for something wild and "out there."  I'd like to see an emerald green or bright teal shimmer, a purple holo, and some square glitter in perhaps hot pink.  Hey, dreaming is free!  What I do NOT want (as I'm sure all of you know who have listened to me whine before) is another yellow or yellow-white!  Don't know what to actually expect.

I really, *really* hope against anything with "geisha" in the name. That's just a really problematic word and concept. On the other hand, it also goes against pretty much everything that they are working for, so that might be the one thing we can cross off the list. A shimmery turquoise would be amazing! I don't think I have that finish in that sort of color. I would not be surprised to see a cherry blossom sort of shade, but if they're going full harajuku (which would be amazing because *the weirdness*! Swoon!), that's not really a shade that would make sense.

I wouldn't mind "geisha" in a name if it was true to its original meaning, which I believe was "art person" or "artisan," if I'm remembering correctly.  The word got distorted by Americans after WWII from what I understand.

Think there'll be a "Gothic Lolita"??

It's usually place names for this collection, isn't it? I'll guess Takeshita, Roppongi, and Shinjuku for names, but I can't even begin to guess colors. Hopefully something saturated or sparkly, and not similar to London or NY!

Quote: Originally Posted by formul8edphrase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  It's usually place names for this collection, isn't it? I'll guess Takeshita, Roppongi, and Shinjuku for names, but I can't even begin to guess colors. Hopefully something saturated or sparkly, and not similar to London or NY!
You're right, they do seem to be using place names for the Passport series.  That kind of went by me, duh!  OK, then, I'll guess Harajuku, which is a neighborhood, Asakuza the theater district, and Ginza, for the famous shopping area. 

I would love an emerald green, too!  I think a multi-chrome would work really well with the theme.  I'm not that familiar with Tokyo, so can't even guess on the places!

My favorite Was from the December box, times square... is that considered a holo? I am not familiar with what some of the more different types of polishes are classified as. I have amassed so many polishes since August I have quite the collection now but none that are like that! I love it! Hoping for more similar to that one! 

My fave from the December box was Times Square too -- and every other blogger and poster that I read, that was their favorite as well.  Yes, it's a holo, and I hope for more too, in lots of different colors.  A purple one for Tokyo would sure suit me!

My guesses if traditional aspect is taken:

A delicate pink emulating cherry blossoms

Crimson red for the flag

Maybe a green tea type color - personally i would love one the color of green tea ice cream

Modern Aspect:

Hot pink since it's big in harajuku

A turquoise and purple duochrome

An orange leaning salmon color

Quote: Originally Posted by disconik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My guesses if traditional aspect is taken:

A delicate pink emulating cherry blossoms

Crimson red for the flag

Maybe a green tea type color - personally i would love one the color of green tea ice cream

Modern Aspect:

Hot pink since it's big in harajuku

A turquoise and purple duochrome

An orange leaning salmon color
Love these picks!

I'm hoping they step back from the red. Three months in a row would be a little ridiculous. And tiring. We already got two reds *and* two white-ish colors in a row, so I'm hoping those two sorts of shades go into hibernation for a while. A shimmery -- or even frosty/metallic/chrome/foil -- mint green would be glorious. I used to have an amazing pale shimmery green Revlon Street Wear polish that is regrettably history. It would be fantastic to be able to have something similar. I just love pale greens, so I welcome any version of it, but if given the choice, I prefer to stay away from creams.

I agree that red and white-ish need to take a break for a bit.  I was really surprised we got both of those two months in a row.  And the yellowish colors rarely look good on me.  I'm hoping SqH branches out more in the future with foils, holos, and some micro or round glitter.

So.... seems like our boxes should be shipping in a day or two!  I'm excited to see what we get.  :-D

Just saw this on Facebook:
I missed out on their Black Friday promo, so I definitely took advantage of this. Shipping is $5

Quote: Originally Posted by bonita22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just saw this on Facebook:

I missed out on their Black Friday promo, so I definitely took advantage of this. Shipping is $5

Someone posted this in one of my polish groups on Facebook and it was all I needed to finally take the plunge. Finding out about the Tokyo theme after I signed up puts me well over the moon. I can't wait for my first box!
yey.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by TheSilverNail /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So.... seems like our boxes should be shipping in a day or two!  I'm excited to see what we get.  :-D
Well, darn, I was hoping they'd ship in time to reach us by the first of the month, like last month, but they're not shipping until 2/1.  Waiting is not easy for me!  But this will give me something to look forward to next week.  :-D

Has anyone gotten their notice that your box has shipped? I'm not doing too well on the patience thing, either. However, Square Hue's home page has a big "SOLD OUT!" notice with the advice that they're now taking orders for March.

Has anyone gotten their notice that your box has shipped? I'm not doing too well on the patience thing, either. However, Square Hue's home page has a big "SOLD OUT!" notice with the advice that they're now taking orders for March.
They'll be shipping out either Saturday or Monday. If you're already signed up, they'll auto renew you for march.

Nope. It seems like I'm usually one of the first people to get shipping, and I haven't received mine yet. They are rock-solid on shipping, though, which I've found has made me calm about this sub: Unlike pretty much every other sub, if they say they're shipping on the first, they're shipping on the first. No need to stress. The shipping notice *will* be there shortly. I noticed that they're "Taking Reservations" for March! I'm easily amused by things that maintain a theme like this. I'm tempted to start having monthly mini film festivals (hello, Netflix Instant!) focusing on the cities for each month's box. I think I just want a reason to watch a whole lot of Japanese horror movies right now. I *love* J-horror. And I wonder where we're going in March. I was expecting Paris for February because Valentine's Day! Romance! But with the harajuku hint, romantic colors don't seem likely, which is fantastic as far as I'm concerned since romantic colors are very much not my kind of thing, but that also makes me kind of sad because that means that we probably won't go to Ireland for March. I always look for an excuse to focus on Ireland. But they did the Irish beer theme last year, so it does make sense that they would do a city in another country next time. For some reason, Sydney keeps coming to mind. No clue why. I really hope the Passport Collection theme is just a six-months-to-one-year thing and that they do another overarching theme after that. I'm really digging this concept.

Latest posts

Back