WARNING!!! Avoid Cult Cosmetics Black Box!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I subbed for a couple of months to give the polish a try.  While I liked the polish, I opted to cancel because it's okay but I didn't feel it was worth $25 a month.  Well, I canceled in November...which you have to do by emailing them.  I got a response that they did indeed cancel my account.  Imagine my surprise when I got charged for December.

I emailed them and told them to remove my info from their system and never charge me again.  I told them that since I received the box, I didn't need a refund.  I got a very long email back from them all apologies.  They said they had removed all of my info from their system and my account was canceled.

Well, guess what hit my credit card tonight?

Now I am officially pissed.  I initiated a chargeback and then requested a new credit card number.  I wrote them a really really really nasty email.  

I want you all to be really careful with this sub.  You have to email them to cancel as there is no option on their site to do so.  I canceled three months ago and they're still charging me.  I recommend you avoid this company at all costs!

Thanks for the warning.  I have canceled my sub so I will watch very carefully.

That really sucks! I signed up for their trial penny box almost two weeks ago. They never shipped my box, even though they say they ship out within one business day. I kept emailing them inquiring about my box's status but no answer. I even posted on their Facebook wall. They also claim to answer all inquiries in less than one business day. When I didn't get any answers I decided to cancel going forward. Within 20 minutes I got a reply that my account was canceled & that they would refund my money. I could have probably been more patient and waited a few more days for my box to ship. But after that whole Bondi fiasco, I just refuse to be patient with companies that don't follow through on their promises. Especially when they can't be bothered to answer any inquires. I'm going to have to keep a close eye on my account.

Wow! I'm glad I skipped out on this one! I was tempted with such a good deal, but after the Bondi fiasco I am also more weary about giving my credit card number out.

Quote: Originally Posted by bonita22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That really sucks! I signed up for their trial penny box almost two weeks ago. They never shipped my box, even though they say they ship out within one business day. I kept emailing them inquiring about my box's status but no answer. I even posted on their Facebook wall. They also claim to answer all inquiries in less than one business day. When I didn't get any answers I decided to cancel going forward. Within 20 minutes I got a reply that my account was canceled & that they would refund my money.
I could have probably been more patient and waited a few more days for my box to ship. But after that whole Bondi fiasco, I just refuse to be patient with companies that don't follow through on their promises. Especially when they can't be bothered to answer any inquires.
I'm going to have to keep a close eye on my account.

Make sure you contact your band or credit card company and have a stop placed on any charges made by them. If one person may be charged over and over despite having canceled it could happen to you.

Make sure you contact your band or credit card company and have a stop placed on any charges made by them. If one person may be charged over and over despite having canceled it could happen to you.
Thanks! I didn't even think of doing that. I'm probably just going ask for a new card just to be extra safe.

I still haven't gotten a reply to my very nasty email that I sent last night.  I am not dumb enough to let them keep doing it though.  I immediately asked for a new cc number...sure it's a pain to wait a week for a new card but it's better than being charged again and again for something you said you don't want.

OH.My.God.

I called the number I found on their facebook page.  I couldn't find one on the website.  Their message starts off with "Thank you for calling Nasty Nails customer service."  It goes on to tell you they encourage electronic communication but you can leave a message.  That message repeats on a loop with no way of leaving a message.

Nasty Nails is right.  Scumbag witches.

After the whole shipping problem with my order, I sent a not so nice email stating how disappointed I was in their customer service. I got a reply from the CEO Ryan asking what he could do to fix the situation. I replied with this:

I appreciate that you have contacted me personally. I was really excited to try out your nail polish and I jumped on the promo code when I heard of it. When a company says we ship within one business day, that's exactly what I expect. If it said we ship with one week, then I would have been fine. I never asked for a refund, I was just given one. I would have really liked for my box to have mailed out. That way if the polish formula was great, I would have renewed my subscription. At this point, shipping out the box would be the only way of fixing this. Claudia
I got this reply today:
Hi Claudia, Thanks for taking the time to tell me how we can get this right and make you happy. We are a small, fast-growing company that is 100% devoted to our customers. So we are always looking for ways to improve our execution every day and that means taking feedback like you provided and springing into action. In the time since you wrote me, we have identified and fixed the software bug that resulted in us failing to deliver your Blackbox in a timely fashion. Today your new Blackbox ships today, free of charge. You are not a current member since we processed a cancellation (sorry, we thought that's what you wanted!), so I invite you to try Blackbox by Cult out at your leisure, see how you like our LA-inspired and trend-driven color selections, try our One & Done formula, and re-subscribe if we made you as happy as our 3,000 and growing members. I think you'll love it! Thanks again for alerting us to this problem so we could fix and for giving us a chance to put Cult Cosmetics on your nails! If I can ever be of some additional service to you, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. All my best, Ryan
I'm still not sure what to think about this company however, they have at least tried to redeemed themselves with me. I'm not a beauty blogger or someone that has much influence on others, so they could have just ignored my emails and nothing would have really changed. I'm not going to sign right back up but I will keep an eye on their subscription service if I really like the formula. I know from the julep swap group on Facebook that a lot of ladies do like the subscription and they have had nothing but good experiences. However, what happened to Donna should've never happened and that still concerns me a lot.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Quote: Originally Posted by bonita22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks! I didn't even think of doing that. I'm probably just going ask for a new card just to be extra safe.
You card can still be charged w a new number even.
It has happened to be, the card co keeps record of your old act # and then forwards the charges to the new card #.
That has not happened to me in at least one year but has a couple times before....

I had Chase put a block on futher charges from them as well.  I tried to cover all the bases.

This company has also stolen catch phrases from Cult Nails and tries to get bloggers to review their polish by hounding them, from what I've read. 

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  OH.My.God.

I called the number I found on their facebook page.  I couldn't find one on the website.  Their message starts off with "Thank you for calling Nasty Nails customer service."  It goes on to tell you they encourage electronic communication but you can leave a message.  That message repeats on a loop with no way of leaving a message.

Nasty Nails is right.  Scumbag witches.
Nasty Nails was their original name from what I remember, when they sold kits with other companies' polishes like essie.  They were well priced and had fairly good service back then.  Tried their subscription service when they turned into "Cult Cosmetics" but wasn't too happy with the selection so I cancelled it via email, and no extra charges came my way.  I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with them, definitely good to put a warning out about it!

Also, does anyone else get confused between them and Cult Nails?  I always wondered why they chose to rename themselves as Cult Cosmetics with Cult Nails around already, it's not good for either company.   

OMG. I didn't know this was a bad subscription box or bad polishes. Just bought 2 nail art kits and they offered me the Black Box for $9.99 and it has a huge tool and brush set with it. " Spring Fling" is the name.

What can I do? I posted in " Nail Art" about the sale B1G1 on the kits. I didn't KNOW. I'm shocked this type of post didn't make it onto the other thread about them. Obviously, I read the older thread only.

I ALMOST ordered from this company a couple months ago but the shipping to Canada was pricy, so I didnt order. Thank god

Back