Best Fixing Spray?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! Hopefully I've found the right spot for this little thread. I'm very interested in buying a fixing spray -- I have tried setting sprays and they were not what I was looking for, so I thought the insider loop of professional MUA's would have a little more insight in this category. 

Mostly, I'm expecting to get it for personal use, as I work in a hospital and need something that stands up to very long days of wear (makeup on by 6am, no chance to touch up until about 6pm). However, I am also slated to help out a couple of friends with makeup for their weddings, including one I'm a part of in the middle of June, and I would like the spray to work for that as well. I need something that holds up to hot and relatively humid Ohio summer weather, as well as dealing with my combo/oily-to-oily skin.

I've looked around and the two that I've seen the highest reviews for are Kryolan's Fixier Spray and Ben Nye Final Seal -- speaking of which, is there a difference between Final Seal and Final Seal Matte? Those two seem to be fairly similar in price, and within my price range; I unfortunately don't have a whole lot of money to drop seeing as I am a full-time college student with a somewhat-limited budget, but I'm willing to pay well for a high-quality product that will last for a bit.

Does anyone have experience with or a recommendation between those two? Or something else entirely? All input is very much appreciated -- thanks all in advance!

I'm not a makeup artist, just makeup obsessed, but I might be able to help. I use my own 'fixing spray', which I prefer, but I have tried Ben Nye's product & several formulas that Skindinavia sells (this company also manufactures Urban Decay's fixing sprays, which are actually more expensive than the ones Skindinavia sells). If I wasn't using my own spray, I'd use Skindinavia's. I bought 3 types in a package deal they had going on well over a year ago, which came with a mini sized mister that you can refill & take with you. This was the best deal, but I'm not sure if they still have that configuration available. My favorite of the bunch was the Original formula. They also have one for oily skin, mature skin, etc. I can't remember them all. It's worth checking out their website as they may have a promotion going on. I believe their current price is close to $30 a bottle if you're buying just one, and I think US customers get free shipping if ordering over a specific dollar amount. I find this product has a smell to it that I don't really like. Almost like a light hairspray or something. As far as Ben Nye's product goes, I prefer to use this for foiling eyeshadows & pigments, as well as turning pigments & shadows into eyeliners. I'm not so enthusiastic about spraying this one all over my face, although other people might be. One last suggestion, which is technically not a spray but which I've found really helps makeup stay put & reduce the number of times I need to touch up during the day, is Nurturing Force Blot Out. It has a very light, almost gel-like consistency but is silicone free & disappears on the skin once applied. The base of it is aloe vera, actually. It prevents oily breakthrough, makes pores appear smaller & helps all makeup wear much longer. It's also very useful as a base for eyeshadows for those with super oily lids or people who are prone to having their eyeshadow crease. This product is totally fragrance-free. Camera Ready Cosmetics sells it for around $25, so it's reasonably priced, and a little goes a long way. It works best under liquid, cream-type & wax-based foundations, I've found. Not as great under pressed powder or mineral foundations. It can, however, be used under or even over foundation. Somebody may suggest MAC Fix+, but this technically isn't a fixing spray. It just tones down the powdery look you might get with setting powders, pressed powder foundations, mineral foundations & other similar products. You can also use it for foiling, but I personally don't really like this product as I don't find it does much more than wet my brush. I can use plain water for that. It doesn't actually help me with product longevity whatsoever. It's also fairly heavily fragranced, which I don't normally care for in any facial cosmetic product. This may be an issue when you're working on other people who may be sensitive or even allergic to synthetic fragrances. No matter which fixing product I use, I do find that the setting powder I choose when I require my makeup to last for quite a long time also makes a big difference. I always apply something with calcium carbonate or something similar in it before using a 'fixing' product. Hope that helps! Good luck :)

It's a mix of specific hydrosols, plus panthenol & other oil absorbing ingredients which are in powder form, but when I shake it up & mist it on, you don't see the powders. I had to order them in bulk because they're not usually available anywhere I've researched. It is something I've sold to friends & family members, who liked it as well. It seems to work well on all skin types, although I originally formulated it for oily skin. Probably because I put silk powder in it. I found that the other sprays, like Skindinavia/Kryolan etc, felt like hairspray on my face, which I really hated The issue is the ingredients they use. Which is why I did a lot of research & made my own. Another option - rather than fixing spray OR in addition to fixing spray, which is what I do - is NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powder. This is something I added to my routine in the past couple of months, which works spectacularly in addition to my spray. It's one of their only talc-free powders & is completely invisible. I set my foundation with this powder by pressing it in to my skin with a velour puff, then mist with my setting spray. I get many more hours of wear out of my foundation before having to touch up. It's pretty much the only NARS product that I've found is worth buying.

Forgot to mention, when I know I'm going to have a day that extended wear-time is really important, I use Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Even Finish Foundation SPF 15 (ridiculously long product name). It wears incredibly well. Using all 3 products together - the foundation, NARS setting powder & my setting spray - works extremely well for me. Considering I have oily skin, that's saying something.

Hello all! Hopefully I've found the right spot for this little thread. I'm very interested in buying a fixing spray -- I have tried setting sprays and they were not what I was looking for, so I thought the insider loop of professional MUA's would have a little more insight in this category.  Mostly, I'm expecting to get it for personal use, as I work in a hospital and need something that stands up to very long days of wear (makeup on by 6am, no chance to touch up until about 6pm). However, I am also slated to help out a couple of friends with makeup for their weddings, including one I'm a part of in the middle of June, and I would like the spray to work for that as well. I need something that holds up to hot and relatively humid Ohio summer weather, as well as dealing with my combo/oily-to-oily skin. I've looked around and the two that I've seen the highest reviews for are Kryolan's Fixier Spray and Ben Nye Final Seal -- speaking of which, is there a difference between Final Seal and Final Seal Matte? Those two seem to be fairly similar in price, and within my price range; I unfortunately don't have a whole lot of money to drop seeing as I am a full-time college student with a somewhat-limited budget, but I'm willing to pay well for a high-quality product that will last for a bit. Does anyone have experience with or a recommendation between those two? Or something else entirely? All input is very much appreciated -- thanks all in advance!
Kryolan's sealer works very well as does Green Marble SeLr by PPI. Ben Nye's Final Seal smells too much like toothpaste, and has a plastic looking finish to it.

Skindinavia used to have the best setting sprays, but Kat Von D has a setting spray that blows it out of the water.

Glad this topic came up!  I use Kryolan's TV Paint Stick, and was also considering purchasing their sealer.  I think I'll try it with my next order.

Way back in the stone age before fixing sprays were marketed, a light (very light) spritz of hairsray was used. Aim at nose (since it is center) hold can at arm's length use only one fast spritz. The aim and distance will give you a full face coverage. Cheap old Aquanet or Elnett will give a ton of uses. Don't inhale or use near flames.

Interesting that using hairspray for that purpose was the norm way back then, now it's considered disrespectful and very unprofessional to use it as such on actors and celebrities.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Way back in the stone age before fixing sprays were marketed, a light (very light) spritz of hairsray was used. Aim at nose (since it is center) hold can at arm's length use only one fast spritz. The aim and distance will give you a full face coverage. Cheap old Aquanet or Elnett will give a ton of uses. Don't inhale or use near flames.
Do you actually do this? I would be so scared to spray hairspray on my face! Although I'm intrigued......

I haven't tried a ton, but out of the ones I've tried I like Makeup Forever's Mist &Fix I believe it's called, and the Kat Von D setting spray.

I finally ordered a can of the Kryolan aerosol "fixier spray" a few weeks back, but apparently customs doesn't allow such items to be shipped here across the border.  Luckily, I found another seller in Canada, so I ordered a can this week.  I'm curious to see how it works with their TV Paint Stick.  It sounds like it will make it a lot easier to wear and maintain throughout the day.  Hoping it's worth the cost!

I am guessing you got it at the Kryolan Store on Lombard St.? (Just off of Jarvis).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am guessing you got it at the Kryolan Store on Lombard St.? (Just off of Jarvis).
I actually ordered it from the RedCherryCanada website.  I had no idea there was a store on Lombard Street.  That's literally within walking distance for me! hah  It's funny how I somehow totally missed that earlier when I searched for a store with their products on Google.  That will make things much easier though next time I need to get something.  Thanks!

I've been heavily reliant on Kryolan/DermaColor's Waterproof Fixing Powder (P3) and MUFE's Maxi Velvet+ Matifying Foundation in #35 which is supposed to be waterproof, among other things。 I live in Asia where it's been 30+C all day for ages and the humidity is exponentially high. I googled the powder once and the company recommends putting on quite a bit and then leaving it for 10m before brushing off excess. It's par of their Camoflague system. One pot lasts ages. I've also bought a product from an Asian brand called WowWow 3X Nano Multi-Compact in 02 which boasts of waterproof qualities. 

For sprays, I've been using either Make up Revolutions' Pro Fix Oil Control Fixing Spray or Ben Nye's Final Seal Matte. I really don't like the latter product's tackiness after application, nor do I think much of its smell.

I live near at least 3 professional makeup supply stores (two of them are two branches of the same company) so accessing these products has never been hard for me.

Latest posts

Back