DIY Eyeshadows?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello everyone,I have been experimenting with different formulas for eye-shadow and I have a little list of questions that I'd love to hear your opinions on. Is it recommended or needed to add sericite to a mica-heavy recipe? I know most recipes include some form of sericite, but I'm wondering if it's a bit redundant if you have a highly adhesive base. This is in regards to the recipe posted at the end, as have a friend who wants much stronger colors than the ones I made with a sericite base. What are your thoughts on using oxides as a color base for micas? On a scale of 1-10 (10 is we should all bow down, it's that important) how do you feel about using matte pigments to provide opaqueness/vibrance to a colored mica? TiO2? On a more personal note, I have been having a lot of difficulty with getting my pigments to bind with my micas (it looks mixed but will only apply as the matte color, which will have far too much grab, while the mica is easily brushed off). I've noticed that this usually worsens as I increase the ratio of pigment to mica. Had anyone else had this problem? Finally, here is my latest recipe. Suggestions? Improvements? I have had some problems with the mica wearing away(the base color wears all day), but I am pleased with the initial application of this eye shadow. (All percentages are based off of volume and it only adds up to 94%, this is because I compensated for the weight of the tio2 and oxides) 6% magnesium mystriate 6% magnesium stearate 6% kaolin 8% Titanium dioxide 8% Iron oxides 58% Colored mica

Quote: Originally Posted by blackdustbelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What are your thoughts on using oxides as a color base for micas? On a scale of 1-10 (10 is we should all bow down, it's that important) how do you feel about using matte pigments to provide opaqueness/vibrance to a colored mica? TiO2?

On a more personal note, I have been having a lot of difficulty with getting my pigments to bind with my micas (it looks mixed but will only apply as the matte color, which will have far too much grab, while the mica is easily brushed off). I've noticed that this usually worsens as I increase the ratio of pigment to mica. Had anyone else had this problem?

These are the only two that I can put any real input into. I used to make my own eye shadows awhile back, but I never got super duper "into" it. 

As far as needing to add oxides to a mica.... I'd say it's a 3 in my opinion. Do they help with opacity? Yes, they can. But they can also make your shadows chalky and patchy. So I don't find it super important because if you use enough of a regular mica, you will get equal color payoff. 

In regards to the difficulty with getting your pigments to bind with micas, I would say grind them in a small coffee grinder. That's the best way to insure that you are getting a true, even mixture. You could also try grinding them together with a mortar and pestle. It's the more time consuming, manual way to do it but it will give you the same effect. I hope that this helps you! Let me know how it turns out if you decide to use these methods! 

Latest posts

Back