Make-up brushes... What do you use?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Though I do love my Sephora, I am realizing that their make-up brushes are good but not the best.
Let me be more specific before I sound like a crying baby...
What I don't like about the makeup brushes is they can be small in proportion and I wish they were bigger.

Do any of you feel this way or disagree? Do you have a brand for brushes that you can recommend?

I am looking for a liquid foundation brush.

Thank you!

Quote: Originally Posted by yummyflavour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Though I do love my Sephora, I am realizing that their make-up brushes are good but not the best.
Let me be more specific before I sound like a crying baby...
What I don't like about the makeup brushes is they can be small in proportion and I wish they were bigger.

Do any of you feel this way or disagree? Do you have a brand for brushes that you can recommend?

I am looking for a liquid foundation brush.

Thank you!

I think Sephora brushes are just okay, not my favorite.

I can't get enough of Sigma brushes, for liquid foundation my favorite is the F80. You won't regret it, it's the best foundation brush ever!

Something comparable would be the expert face brush by Real Techniques. It's my 2nd favorite brush   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have 2 of each lol!

Quote: Originally Posted by v0ltagekid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think Sephora brushes are just okay, not my favorite.

I can't get enough of Sigma brushes, for liquid foundation my favorite is the F80. You won't regret it, it's the best foundation brush ever!

Something comparable would be the expert face brush by Real Techniques. It's my 2nd favorite brush   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have 2 of each lol!
Thank you so much for the recommendation. I have never heard of Sigma, did you get the brush online?

I like the f80, but I purchased the whole set of 5 large and the 5 small....definitely overkill! The F80 and mini f80 (not sure of the #) should be enough. I also love the El cheapo elf brushes, not all are great but most are. Costal scents are good quality and also the Nikka K brush I received from Ipsy a few months back is fantastic. *Sigma is sold online and there is always a discount code, normally 10% off. Most of the YouTube beauty gals have it in their down bar (the area for extra info)

Quote: Originally Posted by yummyflavour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Thank you so much for the recommendation. I have never heard of Sigma, did you get the brush online?
Yea, I got it at sigma.com

They only have 1 physical store, it's the mall of america. So you have to get it online, they usually include a free gift with orders over 30 bucks too, and if you are a makeup artist or involved in the makeup world professionally they do offer a pro discount. 

Quote: Originally Posted by SaraP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like the f80, but I purchased the whole set of 5 large and the 5 small....definitely overkill! The F80 and mini f80 (not sure of the #) should be enough.
I also love the El cheapo elf brushes, not all are great but most are. Costal scents are good quality and also the Nikka K brush I received from Ipsy a few months back is fantastic.

*Sigma is sold online and there is always a discount code, normally 10% off. Most of the YouTube beauty gals have it in their down bar (the area for extra info)
I bought 1 elf brush or 2 in my life, and every time I try to clean it (for the first time), the bristles just came out and fell out at the same time :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Never again lol!

mini F80? What? I never saw that one lol! sounds like a cute little brush :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was lucky,  my bf bought me a set for my bday like last year, most amazing gift evaaaaaa :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have a bunch of different brands of brushes, but I just wanted to recommend TJMaxx as a good place to look - they sometimes have pretty nice brushes for like $5 or less, not always but it doesn't hurt to look.

The mini f80 (not the real name) is a great concealer brush, the make minis of all the sigmax line. How funny I never have fall out with the elf line...I get it from target and use mostly the black $3 line and a few of the $1 ones.

My elf brushes (black kind) have held up pretty well too. I have one where the ferrul (sp?) is coming loose, but this is after at least a year and a half, and washing it once a week. I figure for $3 I can't be too mad about that.

I have used the real techniques line of brushes, which all can be found at Ulta. That is where I purchased mine. Look for an ultra coupon. I work there but if you go on the app "retail me not" and search in store coupons for ultra, the $3.50 off of $10 can be used towards the real techniques brand. The real technique brushes are a great price and pretty decent quality. I do not notice any shedding with these either. Other brushes I use are from Tarte cosmetics. The whole line of brushes are amazing and super soft but a bit more in price. I have had my eye on a few brushes from Sigma Beauty and this is where I will make my next purchase for brushes. I have heard the F80 is a holy grail brush for liquid foundation. If you are a makeup artist you also get a percentage off. I believe it is 25% or 30% and it is pretty simple to sign up for. All you do it fill out paperwork and a copy of your business card and drivers license. 

I also love the Sigma F80! It's a great brush. I also love the Marc Jacobs Face II brush. It's on the expensive side, but sooooo nice.

I've recently begun a brush obsession! I have 2 sets from Crown and I really like them. Most pick up the product really well with minimal fallout. I just got a 36 piece from BH but haven't tried them out yet. My first set was from ELF and I have to say that it's one of my most used. They're super fluffy and great for blending.

I have a birthday coming up and am thinking of finally trying out Sigma. Especially after reading this thread! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Sighs. I've long been searching for good makeup brushes ... I have two M.A.C. eyeshadow brushes that I use, and a Quo stippling brush that gets used for powder, liquid foundation, and powder blush.

I'd rather use my fingers for everything, though. Not as much fallout.

I have a little of everything: Target brand, Elf, Urban Decay, Bare Minerals, Ulta. I'd love to get a MAC brush

I have a set from Sedona Lace that I really like. Their brushes are Sigma-quality but cheaper. My only complaint is that the brushes I want are always sold out! But I do have a few from Sigma that I want to try. I also have a couple MAC, real techniques, eco tools, elf, and others that came with palettes and/or kits.

I have Kirkland (Costco), Ecotools, a special set from my course, elf and some random drugstore ones. 

I'd love to invest in Mac fluffy blending brushes but there's more than one to choose from! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> As for Sigma, I don't really see a lot of Aussie make up artists in my town using them. 

Ps, Model Prefer new brush collection (the rather costly one) is decent but the length of the brush is a bit ridiculous. 

I have Kirkland (Costco), Ecotools, a special set from my course, elf and some random drugstore ones.  I'd love to invest in Mac fluffy blending brushes but there's more than one to choose from! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> As for Sigma, I don't really see a lot of Aussie make up artists in my town using them.  Ps, Model Prefer new brush collection (the rather costly one) is decent but the length of the brush is a bit ridiculous. 
What? Costco has brushes?! I'm heading there this weekend!

I am a make-up brush hoarder! For some reason, they are some of my favorite things to buy and I have all kinds of brushes from various makers. However, some of my favorite inexpensive brushes are from ELF, Make-up Geek, and the Up & Up brand from Target. I also L-O-V-E my Sigma brushes. I am just getting into even higher end brushes from Nars, Marc Jacobs, and Hakuhodo. I have heard amazing things about the brushes from the YouTube guru Wayne Goss that I believe you can buy via beautylish.com

Happy shopping!

My favorite foundation brush is the tarte airbrush foundation one. I also have a bunch of sephora ones from different sets, and a couple real techniques ones. I have a ton of brushes but it always feels like there's something missing lol

Back