June 4, 2014: What's your favorite book or author?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Love this question!

My favorite book is Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold. It is actually a combination of two shorter novellas, and is a prequel to her Vorkosigan Saga (but can also stand alone). It's amazing science fiction with a great female lead character and it just makes you feel every emotion in the book. I highly recommend it, to everyone, but sci-fi fans in particular.

I also never, ever get tired of Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a Shopaholic. I blow through this book in a couple of hours, and it's so much fun. I read it when I want to shop, but know I shouldn't. :lol:

Almost forgot! The greatest vampire book of all time: Sunshine by Robin McKinley! If I am allowed more than one favorite, I would definitely say this is a favorite, as well. It has a stream of consciousness style that it is written in, so it can be difficult to get into at first but it is SO worth it! I definitely recommend this book to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like mystery. Dan Brown is probably my favorite. Although, I should admit that I have only read one book, "Angels and Demons." 

Someday, when i make time, I would love to read all of his books. 

Basically any John Green book will do me fine. 

I also enjoyed reading Charlie St. Cloud. While the movie was absolutely beautiful, the book was even more stunning. 

Other books that have been alright to read in spare time are The Iron Knight. This book has a few sequels to it and it's quite good. It's a romance/fantasy/adventure book.

The Vampire Academy was also stunning. WAY better than the movie. DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE IT WILL RUIN THE BOOK OMG. 

My favorite book is The Pact by Jodi Picoult.  When I was in high school I read constantly, and this is one book I read so many times I have it memorized. I'm on my second copy of it because the first one literally fell apart.  

Hmmm... I am a reader, so I have read a LOT of books!! Lately, it's mostly non-fiction medical books (trying to figure out the whole Hashimoto's/Hypothyroid thing at the moment), but I have a few faves in fiction:

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb

But my all-time favorite author is Stephen King. I have read almost all of his books, but The Regulators and and Desperation are my 2 favorites of his. 

Great question, by the way!!

Jane Austen's Persuasion.  It was her last novel, and I think her best.

Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett's Good Omens.  The best review I read called it "If Monty Python rewrote the Book of Revelations"

Lately I finished re-reading the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger.  If you like werewolves, vampires, steampunk, All Things British, or any combination of the preceding, you'll love it!

And I will totally be following this thread with an eagle eye because I love to read!

All-time favorite book:  _Alice's Adventures in Wonderland_.  My very first memory is of reading that book (I started reading *really* early).  Favorite book as an adult:  I'm joining @ on the _Good Omens_ train!  

I'm not sure I really have a favorite author, although I've named three cats after authors (and my fourth kitty was named after a sort of writer:  The world's first computer programmer.  They write code!  That totally counts!).  I do go through phases where OMG MUST READ ALL OF [insert author here], but I'm not currently in one of those phases.  

It's so cliche but my favorite book has the be The Catcher in the Rye. Just reading it as a kid and it being the first "adult" book I read....it will never get old. The Picture of Dorian Gray is a close second. Oscar Wilde is pure lyric in book form, it's just beautiful.

Other favorite authors are Joyce Carol Oates, Tolstoy (Resurrection, not Anna Karenina, is my favorite. Although both are amazing and I've never felt as accomplished as I have after I read through them. I found them to be difficult reads, but worth it. Fun fact: I started Anna Karenina when we didn't have power for 4 days due to a storm and I had nothing to do but read). Ian McEwan. I do enjoy less heavy stuff though. I'm a fan of Jodi Piccault and I read Nicholas Sparks (you may judge me). Every time I finish one of his book I throw it at the wall (literally) and whine to my husband about how it was the dumbest thing I've ever read. But damned if I haven't read at least 95% of his books :blush: I loooveeeeeee the shopaholic books too!! Just so easy and fun. I always try to read one "good" book, then one breezy and fun one.

Edit: currently working through The Gravediggers Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates. Which reminds me I really need to finish it....

:flowers: Here's a flower for the Good Omens fans, ha ha! I love Neil Gaiman, he's one of my favorite writers. I also had the privilege of hearing him speak over a variety of topics several years ago (2008 to be precise). My favorite by him is Neverwhere and my kids LOVE Coraline. I also really enjoy his short story collections.

I like Terry Pratchett, but he has never been a favorite. Some of his book are so strange that I don't know what I am reading! :laughing:

Is any one here true Science-Fiction/space opera-type fans? I highly, highly recommend the works of Iain Banks. They are (in my opinion) pretty heavy for SF but so good. Surface Detail is my all-time favorite. It is a little easier to understand when taken in the context of the Culture series, but ca be read as a standalone and still be very good. It's long, though! On my Kindle it comes out nearly 700 pages, I'm not sure what the actual print number is (my Kindle version was converted from PDF).

Gone With The Wind is my go-to answer for this question, but I have a few that I love.  I'm also a To Kill A Mockingbird fan, The Poisonwood Bible...  to name a few.  I also love YA Fiction, but I read a lot of nonfiction too!

@@Shalott You might enjoy books by Caitlin R. Kiernan, I actually prefer her short stories, but in my opinion her best novels are The Red Tree and The Drowning Girl. The short story collection is Two Worlds and In Between, a second short story collection is in the works.

Good question!  One of the most interesting novels I've read lately was Italo Calvino's If On a Winter Night a Traveler.  I read it for a postmodern philosophy class and found the writing style really interesting and different from many books I previously read.  I tend to read a lot of non-fiction too.  If I had to pick a favorite author, maybe Malcolm Gladwell.  I love how his books tell such interesting stories about the most random things.

@@Shalott You might enjoy books by Caitlin R. Kiernan, I actually prefer her short stories, but in my opinion her best novels are The Red Tree and The Drowning Girl. The short story collection is Two Worlds and In Between, a second short story collection is in the works.
:w00t: THANK YOU! I haven't read anything by her, so I will definitely check those out!

ETA: In the Amazon description for the short story collection it says she did a collab with Poppy Z. Brite, whom I love. Definitely going to try and get my hands on this collection now!

Latest posts

Back