-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Memebox

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Best Brands for Eye Makeup?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 67 OFFLINE   kelsey-rae

kelsey-rae

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 07-January 06
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:02 AM

there seems to be alot of talk about MAC on this site. (im new) I've used mac, and like it well enough, but I was just wondering, are there any other brands of makeup (eyemakeup, i dont care about anythign else) that are as good or better than MAC? and also: can anyone recommend some eyeshadows that are sortof like, brown, but with a slight irredescence to them? I need both light brown and dark brown. I'm thinking of going out and trying some MAC pretty soon... unless there is something better. I like their mascara though :clap

#Post 2 of 67 OFFLINE   Sophia

Sophia

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,783 posts
  • Joined 09-July 05
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:19 AM

First of all welcome to MUT!!!:icon_chee I prefer Stila than Mac!! I believe Stila has better quality of eyeshadows, they're more blendable, and Stila has the best natural shades! The brown shades I like from Stila are Golightly, it's a a dark chocolate brown with shimmers, Java it's a matte dark brown, and Summer a warm brown with some shimmers! But Stila has many browns like Espresso,Barefoot Contessa!
22 yrs old
Brown eyes and hair
LLL/ Mac NC20/ EDM Light/ Stila Shade C

#Post 3 of 67 OFFLINE   Mirtilla

Mirtilla

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • Joined 06-April 05
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:28 AM

Welcome here!!! I do love Mac, Stila, Bloom and Shu Uemura. To tell the truth, I heard a lot of good things about Kryolan, Kevyn Aucoin and Ben Nye (other professional make-up brands) too.
*It's not just a corny saying that you can make a positive out of most any negative if you work at it hard enough*
MY COSMETIC ALBUM

#Post 4 of 67 OFFLINE   Eva121

Eva121

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  • Joined 26-July 05
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:54 AM

Shu and Stila!

#Post 5 of 67 OFFLINE   speerrituall1

speerrituall1

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Joined 08-April 05
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:48 AM

Stila - high end - $16.00@ Milani - lower end - $3.49@
Live, Love, Laugh!

#Post 6 of 67 OFFLINE   Leony

Leony

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts
  • Joined 31-May 05
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:43 AM

Stila and Shu also has great quality of e/s I like whole neutral shades from Stila. Shu uemura also has neutral iridescence, pear or metallic type of shades. I really like Shu's neutral brown and beige shades.

#Post 7 of 67 OFFLINE   MACGoddess

MACGoddess

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,100 posts
  • Joined 21-July 05
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:12 AM

I think MAC is pretty great as far as quality, especially for the price... But the other makeup brands that I do like are - Milani - available in the US only, PM Greeneyedangel if you want a review, she lives in Canada as well, and I have CPd stuff for her before. Let me know if you need anything... - Stila - they have great e/s but their color selection isn't even close to MAC's - Prestige - available in CVS and Eckerds I think in the US and Canada, e/s, l/s, and l/g by them are really good Brown e/s recs - Milani Sheer Sand e/s, Milani Java Bean e/s, MAC Shroom e/s, MAC Woodwinked, MAC Tempting
I can see why the flamethrower was invented. There was someone who was sitting down thinking "I'm here, you're there, and I want to light you on fire..."

#Post 8 of 67 OFFLINE   ChiQT

ChiQT

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 02-September 05
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

Agree...I'll also add Bobbi Brown and Nars to that list... I tried Kevin Aucoin's line at C.O. Bigelow (I didn't know they carried his line) very impressive... If you get a chance, go and test the lines and see how they look on you...

#Post 9 of 67 OFFLINE   Mirtilla

Mirtilla

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • Joined 06-April 05
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:38 PM

Oh, yes, I forgot about BB! I love that brand too. And guess... Nars isn't available in Italy, so I haven't tried anything from them :icon_evil
*It's not just a corny saying that you can make a positive out of most any negative if you work at it hard enough*
MY COSMETIC ALBUM

#Post 10 of 67 OFFLINE   ChiQT

ChiQT

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 02-September 05
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:46 PM

That sucks Mirtilla...I think it's a very nice line that gets overlooked sometimes...

#Post 11 of 67 OFFLINE   Sirvinya

Sirvinya

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,127 posts
  • Joined 23-January 05
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:05 PM

I use so many different brands! And I love them all :icon_chee .
  • Urban Decay make some amazing coloured eye shadows and they're really pigmented.
  • Red Earth a bit hit and miss with their eye shadow, I have some that are really soft and pigmented and some that are a bit harder.
  • Milani their eye shadows and "Luminous" blush are a staple part of my everyday makeup!
  • Sweetscents over 300 shades of pigment eyeshadow, blusher and foundation. It's all made up just for you and the prices are great. I love their eye pigments.
  • Pure Luxe more loose pigments but they do lipsticks and other face stuff, great for samples (they do samples of everything they carry and cost $1-2).
  • The Body Shop the eye shadow Shimmercubes are wonderful! You get absolutely loads of product and they are all really pigmented and soft.
  • Ben Nye very, very concentrated colour but the eye shadows are soft and easy to blend.

#Post 12 of 67 OFFLINE   litlbitprincess

litlbitprincess

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 06-January 06
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:13 PM

I love Guerlain, Mac, Chanel

#Post 13 of 67 OFFLINE   kuanyin

kuanyin

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 12-November 05
Reviews

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:37 PM

This description perfectly describes Milani's Java Bean. Try it, at $3-4, what do you have to lose? Hi and welcome. I'm pretty new too. :icon_cool

#Post 14 of 67 OFFLINE   kelsey-rae

kelsey-rae

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 07-January 06
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:37 AM

okay i havnt heard of some of these dont know if theyre all in canada, or anywhere near me anyways but i will most certainly keep my eyes out thanks!

#Post 15 of 67 OFFLINE   dixiewolf

dixiewolf

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Joined 17-May 05
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:49 AM

As far as high end, I would have to say the best quality to me that I have tried are Stila and Bobbi Brown. Stila has lots of shimmery shades, and matte, Bobbi Brown has mainly neutrals, but they are so soft, and they have some called Shimmer wash that have shimmer. BB is pretty expensive, but I get a lot of it on ebay cheap.

#Post 16 of 67 OFFLINE   Bhav

Bhav

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts
  • Joined 06-February 05
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:39 PM

I have to say Stila. Although MAC have a fab colour range and the Veluxe Pearls are fab, i think the quality and texture of the Stila shadows is much nicer.

#Post 17 of 67 OFFLINE   empericalbeauty

empericalbeauty

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:12 PM

CoverGirl has a Good collectionof what i think you have in mind : CountryWoods. It is one of those eyeenhancers in 4 kits. It has "coffee(this one is Matte) Mink(this one is pearly), Barely Beiege (this one is matte), mocha (this one is pearly). Hope this helped!

#Post 18 of 67 OFFLINE   monniej

monniej

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts
  • Joined 13-May 05
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

i seem to be developing and attraction to victoria's secret - $11.00 and black opal - $4.00 drug store brand. colors work well for me and last all day.

#Post 19 of 67 OFFLINE   KittySkyfish

KittySkyfish

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Joined 28-May 04
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:31 PM

I love many of brands listed above, but I'll throw in NYX shadows. They have a great color selection and some pretty shimmery shades. It's one of the best for funky colors in the drugstore price-range. :icon_love

#Post 20 of 67 OFFLINE   Lisadt

Lisadt

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 10-November 05
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:32 PM

Loreal- Nice shades and they are long lasting. They have shimmering shades as well. Almay- they have new eye shadows out. Pretty good.