Help me Hold a Curl

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello lovelies! I've recently just grown my hair out to a decent length (at least on one side) after years of pixie cuts and would really appreciate some advice on how to get my hair to hold big, fluffy, dramatic curls.

Let me start this off by saying that my hair care is completely natural. I use Dr. Bonner's as shampoo, apple cider vinegar as a "conditioner" rinse, and occasionally use coconut oil as a deep conditioner.

Here, have a photo!

206odvd.png

So as you can see, my hair texture is wavy, leaning toward curly. I've been using Conair Hot Rollers and I really like them, but even if I SATURATE my head in hairspray the big, springy curls just kind of fall into waves within 30-45 minutes. The waves are pretty, but I really like the defined curls.

What product/technique recommendations would you beauties have for getting my hair to hold a curl without being gross and crunchy?

Back in cosmetology school, when we did updos, we would always use the same two products: Paul Mitchell Hot off the Press and Paul Mitchell Super Clean Spray.

When you're getting ready to curl your hair, spray each section with the Hot off the Press first.  It's a heat-protecting aerosol spray that also has hold, so it preps your hair for heat styling and creates a good base to hold your curls.  Next, use your iron to create your curl and then when you release the curl, be very gentle with it, tapping the curl out rather than pulling the iron from the hair.  That'll give you a more precise S-pattern curl.  Here's the most important part: once the iron has left your hair, do not touch it until it's completely cool.  When you allow the hair to cool, it "sets" the curl and creates memory in the hair.

Then, once it's all cooled off, spray it with the Super Clean Spray, let it dry for a second and move onto the next curl.  Then, once you're all done, do one more once-over with the Super Clean Spray and you're all set :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Did you try skipping the rollers and using some curling product to enhance you natural curls/waves? 

I usually apply some leave-in conditioner and curling product after wash and slightly scrunch my hair upwards to make my lazy curls more defined. I let them air dry after that, because blow drying (diffuser or not) makes my hair frizzy. If your hair is not that frizzy, blow drying may work for you. That usually lasts me a day or so. The next day I just spray some water or refreshing spray and scrunch my hair again to re-define the curls. 

Since you are not using regular shampoo, you may want to use styling product without silicones in it, like Curl Keeper solutions... I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of any at the moment. 

BTW, thanks for mentioning Dr. Bronner's! That stuff looks interesting, I must check it out. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention - no brushing (it breaks down the curls) and if you really have to comb try using your fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back