June 17, 2014: Are high end shampoos & conditioners worth it?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think so. 

I used to always buy fairly cheap shampoo (Pantene, Herbal Essence), but now that I've started trying samples of higher end shampoos in my subscription boxes over the last year or so I can definitely notice a difference. 

I think the biggest difference for me is that with the higher end shampoos/conditioners, they actually do what they say they'll do. Like, with Herbal Essence it doesn't matter if it says it's volumizing or frizz fighting of whatever. They all pretty much do the same thing for me so I just purchased based on scent. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I've been using Bumble & Bumble's Thickening and Number 4's Volumizing line and I can honestly say I notice a difference in the way my hair looks when I use them! 

I don't know, TBH. The last time I used a truly high-end shampoo was waaaay back in like 2001 when Alterna first came out with the White Truffle line and the stuff was nearly $100 a bottle. I spent an entire paycheck on it, and wasn't impressed. :lol:

Since then, I've learned that I can find shampoos that are free of sulphates, pthalates and parabens right at the drugstore, so I stick with those. As for conditioner, I do use the high-end samples I get in subscription boxes, but I have yet to notice a big difference. My hair is just one gigantic pain, though.

I have used the Nioxin treatment program in the past because stress makes me lose hair, and it did work. It was definitely worth the price. But I wouldn't put that in the same category as your normal high-end hair care.

ETA: Wrong products! Had to double check, it's been that long!

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem I have with high end hair care is that I can never find a perfect match, as in matching shampoo & conditioner. Like for example my top favorites are the bumble & bumble thickening shampoo, divines love conditioner, living proof perfect hair day conditioner & bumble & bumble tonic shampoo. But the inner OCD in me prevents me from buying mismatched sets lol but I have to agree with you @ all the drugstore ones are pretty much the same & don't really do much.

I'd have to say that I do think high end haircare is more effective than a generic brand, but not more than my own natural hair care/treatments.  At least, in my personal experience. I've never used a hair mask more effective than plain old coconut oil, and adding sea salt to Dr. Bonners gives me plenty of volume. 

I would like to try some nice sulfate-free high end samples though. Just to feel fancy~

Not for me. My sister spends loads on hair products and I've tried them-- didn't work for me at all.

Though if you style your hair a lot, use heated tools and mousses, etc. I think it could be very much worth it! A conditioner to protect heat-damaged hair and a clarifying shampoo to clear the buildup of product would be a must for me if I styled my hair.

For me, it depends on what your needs are. I had horrible dandruff and I've tried all of the drugstore brands to no avail. But then I switched over to Phyto shampoos for dandruff and oily hair and they worked much better. But with normal shampoos, I usually don't see much of a difference in my hair. Although I can say that N.4's Clarifying shampoo did have results that I liked very much.

Yes they are! Not saying this only because I'm a hairdresser, just because I've always used high end haircare (ever since I were 10) and a couple of times I've had to try lower end and my hair felt super gross and not even clean at all..

Some of you say you've tried your sister's shampo's etc and there's no wonder they didn't work. All of us have different type of hair and with different needs. 

Let's say you have chemically treated hair and try a full on volumizing line; this will dry out the hair immensly because of the salt that usually are added to give a volumizing apperance. If you have chemically treated hair, a mixture of proteins and moisture is needed. Protein because the hair is built up of it, and moisture because chemical treatmens drains the hair from moisture (the harshest is bleaching ofc). 

If you have curly hair, you focus on moisture and would benefit from frizz fighting products. And this just goes on and on. Every hairtype has a different need. Even though your hair looks identical to your friends,it's always good to ask your hairdresser for advice for the best care.

I believe it does make a difference.

Now, I do have a question...this actually is in regards to myself, my husband, and my daughter (about shampoo and conditioner in general). My husband has thick, full hair, while my daughter of course has baby fine hair, and I have thin, fine hair.

We moved from a location with no hard water to a location with some of the worst hard water, and all three of us now have hard, dry hair. Why? I guess we need to add a water softener? Any other suggestions? Are there any shampoos specifically for hard water areas?

My hair isn't quiet as "crispy" since i moved away from the Pantene that I grabbed on the fly, and began using a sample from birchbox.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

I believe it does make a difference.

Now, I do have a question...this actually is in regards to myself, my husband, and my daughter (about shampoo and conditioner in general). My husband has thick, full hair, while my daughter of course has baby fine hair, and I have thin, fine hair.

We moved from a location with no hard water to a location with some of the worst hard water, and all three of us now have hard, dry hair. Why? I guess we need to add a water softener? Any other suggestions? Are there any shampoos specifically for hard water areas?

My hair isn't quiet as "crispy" since i moved away from the Pantene that I grabbed on the fly, and began using a sample from birchbox.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
I know AreaH20 has shampoes and conditioners specifically towards that. However, I've only read reviews and not tried them out for myself. But they specify in it, so I would grab a bottle and try (believe lookfantastic has them)

You can also add a waterfilter. That would work :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I know AreaH20 has shampoes and conditioners specifically towards that. However, I've only read reviews and not tried them out for myself. But they specify in it, so I would grab a bottle and try (believe lookfantastic has them)

You can also add a waterfilter. That would work :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thank you for the information! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back