Discover With Marta Experience From Start To Finnish

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having noticed that there is very little info on this sub, I decided to do something about it.  In this thread I will be documenting my experience for my 1 year sub.  For this sub, you get a box, geared towards older woman who love aging products, every 2 months.

First I wanted to mention that they had some sort of issue with availability, and for the longest time, you could not purchase this.  But even after it became available, I still hesitated.  There is soo little recent info about this on the web.  Anyways, some members complained under the review section about a late box.  And from what one person said, a box was entirely missed.  That would mean 4 months without a box if I read this right.  Seeing the few comments complaining about this major snafu I really wonder how many people subscribe to this?  Anyways, I decided to go for it..  Hopefully this won't happen again. 

June 16, 2014 I purchased the 1 year sub for $144 which includes shipping.  The are somewhat inexpensive options to upgrade the shipping method if you so wish.  Sho9rtly after, I realized that I forgot to log into my account for the purchase.  So I emailed them asking if they could associate my order to my account.  The same day, I got a response that satisfied me. 

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, our system does not allow us to retroactively add orders to your account. However, I have went ahead and updated your account so you still receive rewards points for the order you have placed. If you have any other questions regarding your order, please do not hesitate to contact us.

I hope this helps! Do let us know if we can assist you further.

Warmest regards,

Preksha
To explain their point system, you need 2500 to get a $15 credit.  I got 500 for registering, 500, for joining their email list, and 720 for buying a year sub.  Their reward points expire in a year.

June 17, 2014 I got an email notification telling me that my order shipped and it will be arriving in 1-3 days.  I will update you with the contents of my box. 

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this, but as promised, here I am with my July 2014 review.  The overall box contents look nice, but 100% of the products themselves are nothing I would even consider purchasing.  These products were not carefully selected, and I feel they were just what they could get their hands on.  I have gotten tons of better products from $10 boxes.

The box arrived 3 days after shipping, so that was good.  Upon opening it, the first thing I saw was the bag the products were in.  My advice to Marta?  86 the bag vs casting a black shadow on the experience.  I have no picture of the bag, since I let my cat play with it, and then likely threw it away.  It was a terribly ugly green, drawstring burlap bag, smell and all.  No wonder my cat loved it.

I will start with what I thought was the only product I liked. 

Elizabeth Dehn C Serum 2 ml $6.80

The reason I liked this was probably due to the lemony smell.  It seemed extremely oily, but I thought, no way would someone sell a serum that breaks you out.  Plus, Marta selects her products carefully, right?  I was already checking out the full sized product to see about getting more.  Then it happened...  The biggest pimple breakout I have had since I was 17 years old.  (I am 51.) 

This brings me to the next product supplied in a box geared towards more mature woman, 

Medik8 Exfoliator  3 ml $12

This product is for acne prone skin.  Since it was inappropriate for my 51 year old skin, I chucked it in my drawer to expire.  Now I have just realized why it was included, to ameliorate the affects of the C serum (oil).  Oh and the bottle was only 1/2 full.

Speaking of oil, the next product was my next in line to try after the C serum. 

Red Flower Nature Red Berry Oil Serum 7.5 ml $4.8

After the C serum oil experience, this berry OIL ended up in my drawer also.  Nuff said...

Since we are on a roll...

Suntegrity Natural Moisturizing Face Sunscreen & Primer .25 oz $4.95

This "non greasy formula" has coconut oil extract as a second ingredient.  Along with a list of other oils.  Stupid me, I tried this after my face healed from the C serum oil.  And I broke out a second time!  I have NEVER broken out from any skin product in my entire 51 years!  And we are 2 for 2 here,,,,

The tube size of the next deluxe sample really impressed me.

Osmotics Age protection Extreme SPF 45 1.7 oz $30.6

I couldn't wait to squeeze it out of the tube to try it. And then there it was, It had a cottage cheesy texture....  Blech....  Anyways, I placed it on 1/2 of my face just to try it for the review, before I placed it in the dreaded drawer.  My face has a dry chalky feeling where it was applied.  And all barely perceptible wrinkles were accentuated. 

Honestly, it is a rare moisturizer/serum that I don't like.  I have used every last drop of every moisturizer/serum from every beauty box in the last 5 years.

At this point, we now have the value of everything before the foil packs.  I have yet to use a foil pack of anything in all my years.  But for your benefit I will add those on to the value at the end of my post.

Value $59.15  Paid, $24

Now since this 100% samples box has such a low value, I will now add on the foil packs. I calculated this by using the packs weights compared to the full size.

Briogeo hair mask .5 oz  $2.48

Voya face mask  0.16 oz  $2.6

Voya moisturizer 0.16 oz  $4

Voya Bright eyes 0.06 oz $ $4.53

Value with foil packs added

$72.76

Oh and a final note, although I never tried the Briogeo foil pack, I did get a FULL SIZED jar from the less expensive Blush Mystery Box program and I do like it as much as I would like any less expensive hair conditioner.  Thus I would not purchase it since a cheaper product works the same.

This is a very close up shot, and all samples are very small except the Osmotics.

003.JPG

That does look rather disappointing; I'll stick with Glossybox. Thanks for posting though, I was curious about this sub. 

Your box looks different from mine.  I'll have to fish out the product list when i get home.  i've been rotating in the samples, alternating days with my usual regimen so i don't get the full benefit of being able to see what actually works.  so far i've found an eye cream and a serum that i like, but too $$$ for my regimen.  and it's too bad the bag didn't work for you, it's sad but my favorite part of the summer box was not the products but it was the lavender burlap bag.  i love natural materials to store things in my purse.

That does look rather disappointing; I'll stick with Glossybox. Thanks for posting though, I was curious about this sub.
Yeah it was very disappointing.... I was looking for high end quality face creams and serums. I am in the market for both.
So I am now taking a chance here... Some time ago, I got a FULL SIZED sample of a Bliss, Youth As We Know It product from Beautyfix (Blush). I don't think they sell it anymore, but I loved it! So I am buying a $74 jar of their moisturizer cream blindly... Marta let me down....

On a good note, I am getting an awesome travel case filled with 13 deluxe samples (2 of them full sized) along with $10 off coupon from Beauty.com for my $100 purchase. Plus I am getting a Laura Geller mini blush for free also with a $50 Laura Geller purchase. Blush once again introduced me to another company I liked, Laura Geller.

All I. have to say, is that the next box better dazzle. Will be reporting back.

Ps.... I still can't believe that they sent me a product with salicylate acid ( acne med).

Your box looks different from mine.  I'll have to fish out the product list when i get home.  i've been rotating in the samples, alternating days with my usual regimen so i don't get the full benefit of being able to see what actually works.  so far i've found an eye cream and a serum that i like, but too $$$ for my regimen.  and it's too bad the bag didn't work for you, it's sad but my favorite part of the summer box was not the products but it was the lavender burlap bag.  i love natural materials to store things in my purse.
Did you find out how our boxes were different yet?

I didnt. I can't fine the paper inserts which sucks. I was saving those because it has the ingredients and directions! Some of the products are only labeled by brand. I separated the products into different tubs based on use (serum, eye cream, etc) and need to refer back to the inserts when it's time to rotate them into my regimen :/

There is no other place for that info unless I missed it on her (the TIA) website somewhere...

I didnt. I can't fine the paper inserts which sucks. I was saving those because it has the ingredients and directions! Some of the products are only labeled by brand. I separated the products into different tubs based on use (serum, eye cream, etc) and need to refer back to the inserts when it's time to rotate them into my regimen :/

There is no other place for that info unless I missed it on her (the TIA) website somewhere...
Thanx for looking.  Yeah I lost my card also.  I think there could have only been one difference and that was the Medik8 product.  There were two listed and of course I got the crap one.

I must not be all that picky, since I got a massive deluxe sample pack with purchase from Beauty.com and loved every last item!  OMG!!!!  FAINT!!!!  Marta needs to learn a few things from them.

My Beauty.com Haul (Includes free travel bag with deluxe samples

Just another update.  The next box is due just about now.  The website shows no new reviews on their box since March 2014, and there is no update yet about the new box.  Will let you know the moment I hear somethig.

Just a couple errors I noticed from my review.  The box that I got was from June 2014, not July.  And the Osmotics was a deluxe sample size, not 1.7 oz.

Plus I thought I would give an update about my use of their products.  I have not touched a single one since my original review!  You know I noticed that the Suntegrity was included previously in a $10 box.  And that is where it belonged since it was a cheap product.  But still I would have been P/O to get that one in a $10 box or any box.

To be honest, Ipsy really has me pegged (51 y/o that loves anything expensive that moisturizes or is anti aging.)   They have sent me all better quailty products than Discover Marta. 

Blush is yet another company that I adore!  Altough they can lay off the hair stuff a bit.  Yesterday I got a Manuka honey hand cream that I would kill for!  OMG!!!  I can't get enough of it, and once again I will be purchasing a Blush product.  This happens quite often for me.  (This box came later since I unsubbed to switch my email address and finally got around to resubbing.  A good idea so I could use up some of my Ipsy and beauty.com stuff.  LUV IT ALL!  OMG!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted on the Discover Marta page to ask about the next box.  And they said it is going out next week.  And here is a listing of some of the brands in the next box.  2 of them are repeat brands from the last box.

•Osmotics

•Innarah

•Red Flower

•AQ Skin Solutions

•Royal Nectar

•And more!

Ok, now this doesn't look good. A few day ago, I posted that I was looking forward to the bee product, and also mentioned that I hope future boxes would skip the oil products due to me getting pimples and scarring. Also mentioned a couple beauty tips.

Since this lengthy post contained a few sentences of negativity, it has not been released from moderation. So what does this tell us about their review section? My non review comment is the only one there since March.

I will retype my negative bit only and post it every day until it shows up.

Your review has been accepted for moderation.

My box just shipped!  Oh please oh please I want to be impressed this time!  Seriously, I want to give an awesome review!

If anyone reads this please give you first impression on the photos of my second box. This is exactly how everything looked on arrival. I will review everything once I tried them.

Benir -no weight provide

Red flower nature illuminating rose collagen renewal face serum 3 ml

Blue copper 5 - 4 ml (.14 oz)

Royal Nectar cream cleanser 10 g

Venodefense cream - no weight

AQ skin solutions active serum - no weight

image.jpg

This is the Benir

image.jpg

Is it illegal to not include weights on products?

I got the same as you. Disappointed for sure. I hope I don't lose the product info sheet because there is very little info on the containers.

I got the same as you. Disappointed for sure. I hope I don't lose the product info sheet because there is very little info on the containers.
Glad to see you back here. I held my tongue because I wanted to see if it was just me being so darn disappointed. There is not enough of anything to get an idea if it works except for maybe the Venodefense.

Was your Benir half full also? Plus, that tiny container has a raised botom. It seems that it would contain the equivlent of a foil packet. Perhaps 2ml or so?

Did your Royal Nectar cleanser have dried and fresh product all around the opening of the tube? Sort of like it was used?

Did the burlap bag, wrinkled insert, etc, just make this ordeal look trashy to you?

The Blue copper 5 says to use it for a week to see a difference. I don't think 4 ml will cover our face and necks like the instructions tells us to do for an entire week. I am thinking more like a day, two at most? We shall see.

Did you notice that the tiny Red Flower serum sample is extremely oil based yet again? Another worthless sample.

Back to the Royal Nectar cleanser... Have you ever gotten such a small sample of this type of product? Never in all my years!

There is no way we can determine the value without the weights. Plus is there any value in 100% samples? Is Marta paying for any of those?

No wonder they make you pay a year in advance. As for their return policy? It is 100% to the benefit of Discover Marta. The customer loses..:

If you cancel after you get one box, you get all but $50 back. So you flat out lose $26. And your single box pictured above costs you $50!

If you cancel after you get the second box, you get $44 back. So you flat out lose $52. And your 2 boxes pictured above cost you $100!!!!

If you cancel after 3 boxes (1/2 year), you lose the entire next 6 months at $72.

Ok time for my review of the last box's contents. I was certain to make sure that I tried every last item, and gave this pleanty of time.

I think I will start of with the last item I tried tonight, the Red flower Nature Illuminating Rose Collagen Renewal face Serum . Why? Because it ticked me off and good. Now let me remind you that I got this brand in the previous box also, and it was an oil. Now looking at the name of this boxes item would you think oil? Nah... But I suspected this, so I waited until a day off just in case I needed to wash it off quickly... So I ripped open the classy paper sample pack that had little inside. (Roll eyes...) Yup oil... So I sparingly applied as little as I could spread around. Oh oh... Not good.... So I then applied a matte Bb cream on top since I knew this was trouble. Went out to dinner and imagined the expensive matte BB cream that was wasted trying to soak up the vegatble oil coating my face. My face felt very scummy! CRY!!!!!

Next sample up is the Blue copper 5 (.14 oz). This was a total fiasco trying to stretch out a one day sample so I could experience the results that were promised in 7 days use. Never made it to anywhere near 7 days even as I tried to use it just on certain spots. So what did I get out of this? Absouletly nothing but anguish...

Benir -no weight provided. I seemed to like the texture, but there was so little in the container, that I have no clue as to if this was for me. It didn't seem to do anything for me in the days that I used it though before I ran out. Pity since it takes some time to find out these things and I refuse to throw out big bucks to find out otherwise.

Royal Nectar cream cleanser 10 grams - I felt the need to treat this tiny ammount of cleanser like gold. So now I have no clue if this did anything. Small samples = worthless

Venodefense cream - no weight but a very generous sample - My first impression is that it soaked in entirely and left a dry slightly gritty vs.a moisturized feeling. But then I went back and read the wonderful reviews and decided that maybe I need to use this a bit more. I will report back on this later.

AQ skin solutions active serum - no weight - Oh gosh nealry forgot about this one. I had soo much hope for this product. But I can barely get any out of the container. I keep it upsaide down and even squeeze it. Was there anything in there besides a couple of drops? I KID YOU NOT!

Besides the Venodefense, the sample sizes were just plain awful! There is absoluely 100% no way to determine if you like any of these products. There is no value in this subscription, stay away!

Just wanted to add this. When I went to wash off the red flower serum, I looked in the mirror. After just a couple of hours, my face looked like I worked in a greasy spoon all day.

Ok something very unusual happened today. My expected Discover With Marta box was sitting at my door and when I went to pick it up, it had actual weight! OMG!

So I rushed inside and opened my box and saw the the totally unexpected. Two full sized products and 2 other decent sized products and only one very tiny sample (1/2 oz Briogeo shampoo).

What I got was even better than I would have expected from this subscription. All I really wanted was decent deluxe sample sizes. But perhaps I can considerd this payback for my first 2 boxes. But then again, a $15 box (sample society) gave us an $90 eye cream.

This box was very very nice... And as always, I will take my time trying the products before I review them. But I can tell you already, there are no oil laden products for the skin!

On another good note, the products came in a pretty red bag that my cats won't get to play with this time.

Here is what I got:

MitoQ anti aging serum 1.7 oz $119 This is full sized.  Lets see if this is as wonderful as they tout.  If so, it will be a part of my daily ritual.  Value $119

Sciote peptide+Defense firming eye cream 1/2 oz Deluxe sample.  Full size is $65, and is the same exact size.  I think they just skipped the fancy packaging.  I am excited about trying this.  Value $65

Truth vitality Brow empowere .25 oz is full sized at $35 This is made by Discover Marta themselves. It smells odd and has an odd greyish color. Value $35

Skinfinate Advanced c20 serum I am guestimating this as 1/4 oz. Fulll size is 1 oz at $65  Initial impression,  a thin serum that may have to go under another serum.  Value $16.25

Briogeo Be gentile be kind co- wash 1/2 oz single use packet. Full size is 8.5 ox for $20 Ordinarily this low value item would p/o me to the max if it wasn't for the other items.  Value $1.18

Total value:  $236.43

image.jpg
image.jpg

Just an update about last months box.  I may have possibly liked the Benir cream but had too little to be certain.  Pity....  You see I have had creams that I initailly liked but they made my face fall apart.  Why chance it since it is so expensive, ya know?  Wish I had a larger samle of this.

I got my bag too. I love serums, but I have so many in line to try this'll have to wait. But yeah, the last few have been duds, I haven't gotten around to using all the products yet, but none of them exciting. I'm excited to try the serum in the next few weeks. I hope you update with your thoughts on it after you've used it

Even though I do not have mature skin, I loved reading this! Seeing how both of you look to be the only costumers that put reviews on the internet, maybe they saw yours and wanted to re-vamp their subscription! Hopefully they will stay this good in another two months!

Latest posts

Back