Share your favorite homemade beauty recipes!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just went out to buy some lavender buds and peppermint essential oil for some homemade beauty products, and it got me thinking that I should start up a thread so we can share all our secret beauty concoctions and how they help us maintain our radiant splendor!

A lot of homemade goodies go onto my bod. I almost never use commercial skin care (unless its free samples hehe...) and my skin is better than its ever been! 

My most versatile homemade item is my apple cider vinegar hair rinse/toner (it works on hair and skin) Which is 1 part distilled/purified water and 1 part ACV (make sure it's organic because the filtered stuff doesn't cut it). I also add a few drops of lavender oil to give it an antibacterial and skin-soothing boost. Put in in a spray bottle, mist your hair and face with it, and Viola! It's great for clarifying the skin and hair, restoring your natural ph levels after cleansing or shampooing, and ACV is well known for making skin and hair glow. I've even steeped dried calendula  petals in distilled water and used that in it to help amp up the vibrancy of my red hair. I use it every day!

I also really like making my own body scrubs. Just add a carrier oil (olive, coconut, sweet almond, grapeseed, ect) of your choice to a cup of sugar until it becomes a grainy paste. Add some vitamin E Oil to help preserve. There are also other fun things you can add. Lime or Lemon juice are great if you're using the scrub as a medium for shaving because the acids help remove dead skin and make your legs baby soft. I like to add peppermint essential oil because I'm addicted to how invigorating peppermint is.

What do you guys make at home for beauty?

I like doing the honey cinnamon mask. The next day my skin looks amazing! Yes it can be a little irritating to the skin so monitor closely. You can also put papaya on the skin and the enzymes will help digest the dead skin cells. I'd look it up before you just start rubbing papaya on your face though. I have also tried the egg white mask and added some honey to it. My skin felt soft after but I think that I like the honey and cinnamon one better. I need to start trying more homemade stuff. Being a professional it's just so easy to have the stuff I need at my finger tips. I'm excited to see what everyone else says about the homemade stuff. I also tried the ACV the other day on my hair. It made my hair have a lot more volume! I will have to buy a bigger bottle so I can keep doing it! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Made some sugar scrub for my fiance's mother's birthday. I made it with grapeseed and Vitamin E oil and put in peppermint essential oil, organic lavender buds, and organic raw honey. I even made a cute little illustrated tag. <3

wswlna.jpg

@@Emma Brown Tomatoes are really great for skin. All that natural salicylic acid does great things for brightening and clarifying. 

@@Esthylove I know what you mean by having everything at your fingertips making it harder to use natural stuff. I kind of got overloaded with free samples and completely stopped using my usual routine. I've calmed down now and am giving my skin a breather. You can only really guarantee your goodies are chemical free if they're made by you, ya know? I mean, there are brands out there that are free of junk, but not enough for everything I want! haha.

ACV is miraculous. I loooove it!

Made some sugar scrub for my fiance's mother's birthday. I made it with grapeseed and Vitamin E oil and put in peppermint essential oil, organic lavender buds, and organic raw honey. I even made a cute little illustrated tag. <3

wswlna.jpg

@@Emma Brown Tomatoes are really great for skin. All that natural salicylic acid does great things for brightening and clarifying. 

@@Esthylove I know what you mean by having everything at your fingertips making it harder to use natural stuff. I kind of got overloaded with free samples and completely stopped using my usual routine. I've calmed down now and am giving my skin a breather. You can only really guarantee your goodies are chemical free if they're made by you, ya know? I mean, there are brands out there that are free of junk, but not enough for everything I want! haha.

ACV is miraculous. I loooove it!
I think my main issue is I'm lazy. I'm like why do I need to go buy this and this to make this when I can just do a chemical peel. I do live in BFE so maybe that will change when I move to a bigger city.

@@Esthylove The internet is great for procuring good ingredients if you don't have anything local. Mountain Rose Herbs is the bomb.com for natural beauty supplies. Essential oils, loose dried herbs, butter, oils; they have everything. I honestly just like to visit their website and stare at all the pretties. At some point in my life I'd like the majority of my bath, beauty, and household supplies to be handmade or at least legit organic and fair-trade so I have a bit of an obsession with natural beauty.

I really love that jar you put it in!!  Your handwritten cards are a joy to see, btw.  I love it when you share them here.  You are extremely talented, @@pokeballssohard

have you thought about selling your items here?  I would be very interested - they do have a section at MUT for selling items.

Last edited by a moderator:
@@biancardi Ohmygosh, you are so sweet. Thank you so much! It warms my heart to hear such nice things about my work.  :wub:

I've considered selling before in an abstract sense. I've made lots of stuff before but it's usually just been for me or as a gift for someone else. I never thought anyone would really be interested, so I guess I just never went through with trying.

I know people will sell things on their swap list, but I didn't know I could sell handmade beauty stuff here. I would definitely consider mixing up some small batches of scrubs, foundations, and other stuff if anyone wanted some. Thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words.

I like to mix up my own bath salts, because sometimes my scents of choice are hard to find commercially. I'll use epsom salts if I need muscle relief, or dead sea mineral salt if I just want a splurge. I'll put a cup or two into a large jar and add essential oils, then shake the snot out of it until the fragrance is well-distributed and blended. I love citrus and will blend orange, lemon, grapefruit and lime together, maybe with a tiny smack of peppermint; orange-and-patchouli is a beloved and impossible to find combination that I adore! I will also use rose geranium a lot--it's much less expensive than rose otto, and has a nice perky litte tang to it that is just undeniably cheerful and energizing. You might also want to just leave the jar of salts sit a few days with a split vanilla bean, shaking once or twice a day, before adding some extra oils...or not!

[SIZE=10.5pt]My favourite homemade beauty recipe is an oatmeal, honey and yogurt facemask. I actually found the recipe on a beauty app Instagram page that I follow called @glamazon_app they have really cool beauty tips and advice. I would recommend following them for daily beauty tips and inspiration. I also downloaded there beauty app and it looks really cool. Has anyone else heard about it? Or used it?[/SIZE]

Aloe vera is a wonder plant for our skin. Extract the gel from aloe vera plant and massage your fcae for 2-3 minutes gently with aloe vera gel and leave it for 15 minutes, than rinse off. Do this regularly. You will get natural glowing skin and will never get wrinkles on your face.

Tomatoes and turmeric paste. I rub tomato in face after cutting into two, daily. And turmeric face pack once in a week.
I am also using turmeric.,... I mix it with curd and honey and use as face mask...

I'll like to know your treatment process... please do share...

Latest posts

Back