smelly foundation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi everyone! I have maybelline 24 stay liquid foundation, I have it since christmas I think or maybe later and today I noticed that it smells weird, like paint or plastic. It didn't smell like this before, why is that? should I stop using it or it's okay?

Thank you!  :wub:

It smells like that because it's been contaminated from oils from your fingers / face and from dirty sponges. Also where you stored it will contribute to the degradation of it, for example if you store it in a hot, humid environment like a bathroom or on a vanity that gets sun exposure.

The actual odour you're smelling is the fecal matter from the over-population of the bacteria that's building up.

Also, the foundation is 6-7 months old, (depending on use / storage) it's past it's prime.

Stop using it and throw it away!

To make liquid foundations last longer, never use it directly from the bottle, just decant a small amount onto a metal palette and use from there. Always cap immediately, and store the bottle in a cool, dark place. (Room temp. is ok).

Always remember to shake all liquid foundations before use!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back