-->

Welcome Guest to MakeupTalk

Welcome to MakeupTalk, one of the largest beauty communities online! Love makeup and beauty products as much as we do? Do you look forward to getting your beauty subscription boxes every month? Sign up or sign in to join in on the conversations and share your love for makeup, beauty and subscription boxes with others. By signing up or signing in you get access to the features listed below. Signing up is FREE and requires minimal information. We look forward to seeing you on the forums and having you part of our community! Thanks for stopping by!
  • Start new topics and reply to others in our MakeupTalk Forums
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get notification & email updates
  • Get your personal profile page and make new friends in our Community
  • Submit your reviews about Makeup Products and get feedback from other users
  • Send personal messages to other members

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

Latest Posts

Sponsors

Become a Forum Sponsor!

Photo

Birchbox August 2014 - Spoilers!

• Please log in to reply
1807 replies to this topic

#Post 201 of 1808 OFFLINE   bonita22

bonita22

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Joined 23-January 13
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

I don't really like any of the choices this month. The bronzer is the only thing that kinda entices me but I don't like shimmer in my bronzers. I'm just not going to worry about picking an item this month.
If

#Post 202 of 1808 OFFLINE   pooteeweet213

pooteeweet213

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Joined 29-May 13
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

Has everyone who's used the gilt city coupon used it on a new or inactive account? Does it work on active monthly accounts?

Edited by pooteeweet213, 22 July 2014 - 04:33 PM.

Trade List        

Secret Santa Survey  :santa:  

#Post 203 of 1808 OFFLINE   Tamarin

Tamarin

Golden lion tamarin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 11-February 14
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Has everyone who's used the gilt city coupon used it on a new or inactive account? Does it work on active monthly accounts?

I think there's a clause that says it's not eligible on accounts that received a box within the last 3 months.

#Post 204 of 1808 OFFLINE   Heather Hicks

Heather Hicks

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Joined 09-October 12
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

I'm actually thinking about getting the stainiac, since I've never tried it before (and this is the perfect opportunity, even if I end up not liking it).  I'd like to get the everygirl box on my other account if I have the option.  Only 2 more days till we get to pick!

You mean only 2 more days until Birchbox crashes and we spend hours screaming at the computer, right? (so sad we seem to have lost the computer fit emoticon)

Am I glad we get to pick again? Yes. Am I looking forward to actually trying to get through with my choice? NO WAY! ;)

• PeridotCricket and RenoFab like this

#Post 205 of 1808 OFFLINE   KaitC13

KaitC13

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Joined 23-April 14
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

Do we know what is in the curated box?

**PINTEREST**

"We make choices.  No one else can live our lives for us.  And we must confront and accept the consequences of our actions." ~ Dream (Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman: The Kindly Ones")

#Post 206 of 1808 OFFLINE   lindzebra

lindzebra

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Joined 03-September 13
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Soooo... I bought the $75 annual subscription. And I'm about to use a 100-pt. code on my secondary account so I can get another pick-a-sample.

I think I'll activate the annual sub in August.

• RenoFab likes this

Blog

Urban Mannequin: makeup, reviews, ramblings, and more

#Post 207 of 1808 OFFLINE   lindzebra

lindzebra

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Joined 03-September 13
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Someone help me feel less crazy!

Blog

Urban Mannequin: makeup, reviews, ramblings, and more

#Post 208 of 1808 OFFLINE   normajean2008

normajean2008

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Joined 20-September 12
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

I'm not getting an August box currently, but I do own a few of those Laura Geller eyeshadows.  

That eyeshadow formula is fantastic, it blends well, stays all day, doesn't fade much/if at all, and doesn't crease.  It also set quickly so you're not walking around or sitting around with closed eyes so you don't crease it up.  It is a squeeze tube of cream shadow--it wont run out of the tube like a liquid would.  

I have the mermaid blue, the rose gold, and the silver sands.  The silver is a pewter/"dirty" silver, and is gorgeous!  A little goes a long way on application, and I typically use my finger, but a brush would work nice too.  This isn't your run of the mill crap-tastic drugstore cheapie cream/liquid eyeshadow.  

I just wanted to tell you ladies about it, in case anybody was on the fence because it is a cream shadow (which gets bad reviews often).  :) 

• PeridotCricket, kawaiimeows, Moonittude and 15 others like this

#Post 209 of 1808 OFFLINE   BrierReviewer

BrierReviewer

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Joined 02-March 14
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

@normajean2008 Thanks! I was on the fence so this is helpful!

Angie

BrierReview.blogspot.com

#Post 210 of 1808 OFFLINE   Lyllis

Lyllis

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 11-April 14
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

I'm not getting an August box currently, but I do own a few of those Laura Geller eyeshadows.  

That eyeshadow formula is fantastic, it blends well, stays all day, doesn't fade much/if at all, and doesn't crease.  It also set quickly so you're not walking around or sitting around with closed eyes so you don't crease it up.  It is a squeeze tube of cream shadow--it wont run out of the tube like a liquid would.  

I have the mermaid blue, the rose gold, and the silver sands.  The silver is a pewter/"dirty" silver, and is gorgeous!  A little goes a long way on application, and I typically use my finger, but a brush would work nice too.  This isn't your run of the mill crap-tastic drugstore cheapie cream/liquid eyeshadow.  

I just wanted to tell you ladies about it, in case anybody was on the fence because it is a cream shadow (which gets bad reviews often).   :)

How sparkly/shimmery is the silver sands?  From the video, it looked pretty light colored and very shimmery.  I have brown eyes and a non-fair complexion, so very light-colored shadows don't suit me at all.   And not so much into the sparkly shadows.   

#Post 211 of 1808 OFFLINE   lovepink

lovepink

Jenn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts
  • Joined 11-March 12
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

Did anyone unsub/sub wtih a 100 point code last month and still get to a) pick samples or B) get the samples you picked?  I was too afraid I would not get the polish I wanted to unsub/sub with a code but since I am meh about the samples this month I figure if I get to pick on my yearly I am ok with not on my monthly.  TIA!

#Post 212 of 1808 OFFLINE   normajean2008

normajean2008

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Joined 20-September 12
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

How sparkly/shimmery is the silver sands?  From the video, it looked pretty light colored and very shimmery.  I have brown eyes and a non-fair complexion, so very light-colored shadows don't suit me at all.   And not so much into the sparkly shadows.   

It is for sure shimmery, but not like if you put glitter on your eyelids.  I'd classify it as a grown up/office appropriate shimmer level.  The thinner you put it on, or the more you spread it around--the more shimmer you'll get vs. deeper color. (hope that makes sense)

It is a nice medium color level silver.  Not super light like a bright silver would be, but not so dark that it looks like actual taupe dirt, lol.  This particular color is what I reach for often when I don't know what to pick or can't decide on a color.  It goes with everything.  

• Lyllis likes this

#Post 213 of 1808 OFFLINE   flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Joined 10-December 13
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

Did anyone unsub/sub wtih a 100 point code last month and still get to a) pick samples or B) get the samples you picked?  I was too afraid I would not get the polish I wanted to unsub/sub with a code but since I am meh about the samples this month I figure if I get to pick on my yearly I am ok with not on my monthly.  TIA!

I unsub/sub with the 100 point code last month, about a week before the email went out, on both accounts. I got the emails on both accounts, got to pick samples on both accounts, and received my samples in both my boxes. Apparently I was a lucky anomaly!

Also, I am so torn. I am definitely doing the curated box on my main account. But I can't decide between the eye shadow and the eye liner on my secondary account. I have a minor fetish for black eyeliner, but the eye shadow looks cool and the silver is outside my usual brown/gold/pink comfort zone. The struggle.... -sigh-

#Post 214 of 1808 OFFLINE   lovepink

lovepink

Jenn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts
  • Joined 11-March 12
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

I unsub/sub with the 100 point code last month, about a week before the email went out, on both accounts. I got the emails on both accounts, got to pick samples on both accounts, and received my samples in both my boxes. Apparently I was a lucky anomaly!

Also, I am so torn. I am definitely doing the curated box on my main account. But I can't decide between the eye shadow and the eye liner on my secondary account. I have a minor fetish for black eyeliner, but the eye shadow looks cool and the silver is outside my usual brown/gold/pink comfort zone. The struggle.... -sigh-

Thanks!  I just unsubbed/resubbed.  Since I did not get the emails last month, if it happens again this month I will just email them.  I am picking the eyeshadow on my yearly sub and will likely pick the black eyeliner on my second sub as I do not use bronzer and I got the Stainiac, did not like it and gave it away.

#Post 215 of 1808 OFFLINE   normajean2008

normajean2008

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Joined 20-September 12
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

I got bored, so here are some swatches of the eyeshadow. 

Here is a picture of the three colors I have (mermaid blue, rose gold goddess, and silver sands.  I put a drop of unblended shadow to show how much I used for the blended swatch. 

Then there is a picture of just Silver Sands.  Here I put drops to show how much was used for the blended swatch as well.  One tiny thin layer, two thin layers together, one thicker layer, and how it looks straight from the tube/consistency.  

And last but not least... a picture with comparison swatches from my collection.  Silver Sands is in the middle, again with an unblended dot.  Urban Decay Pistol (darker) and Verve (lighter) are flanking it.  On the skinny swatch ends (I don't know which direction my pic will upload yet) there is Nars silver color from the Ramatuelle Trio (closest to my knuckles), and then Nars Vent Glace Duo on the other end, closest to my wrist. 

None of them are exactly the same color as Silver Sands, but pretty close.  You can also see the shimmer level between them.  

• PeridotCricket, kawaiimeows, lauravee and 20 others like this

#Post 216 of 1808 OFFLINE   meaganola

meaganola

Uh Huh Her

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,540 posts
  • Joined 14-January 12
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Now that the curated box is in the mix, I'm kind of leaning towards one silver shadow (which I thought sounded like a superhero, and he was!  Too bad the creator got lured away from Marvel, and that series died after, like, three issues), one curated box (assuming that's an option for at least one of my accounts since I'm not sure whether this is something they're offering to non-current subscribers only), and one let-the-chips-fall-where-they-may box.  I may end up changing my mind (most likely going with two curated boxes) depending on whether I start getting a bad feeling that they want to foist black eyeliner or bronzer on me if I don't pick.  I very specifically want to avoid those two items if possible.

you can find me on Instagram!

Instagram: buriedinboxes

#Post 217 of 1808 OFFLINE   rachelshine

rachelshine

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • Joined 16-October 13
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

@normajean2008 ohhhh you may have swayed me from bronzer to cream shadow!! Or maybe resubbing one account to get both!  :lol:

• normajean2008 likes this

Trade List! - Updated 6/21, new BB items, some Memebox, and others! 

Summerswap List!! - Cannot.contain.excitement. 

#Post 218 of 1808 OFFLINE   chelsealynn

chelsealynn

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Joined 16-September 12
Reviews

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:51 AM

Between the four choices the only one I'm interested in is the eye shadow.  The color looks pretty.  I already have a full sized Stainiac so I don't need that.  I don't use or like bronzer and as far as eyeliner goes the only black eyeliner I use is UD zero.  Even though I like the eye shadow and would pick it in all reality I will probably miss the email to choose and I can imagine the choices going quickly like last month.  I work at night so tomorrow during the day I'm going to be sleeping.  I guess I will see how it is tomorrow.  I don't mind getting a random box either.  I'm usually pretty laid back about whatever they send me.

#Post 219 of 1808 OFFLINE   ashleylind

ashleylind

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 17-February 14
Reviews

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:15 AM

I'm thinking shadow and curated. I do like Stainaic, but I already have a full size one.

Secret Santa list!!!              Trade List

#Post 220 of 1808 OFFLINE   Lyllis

Lyllis

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 11-April 14
Reviews

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:27 AM

It is for sure shimmery, but not like if you put glitter on your eyelids.  I'd classify it as a grown up/office appropriate shimmer level.  The thinner you put it on, or the more you spread it around--the more shimmer you'll get vs. deeper color. (hope that makes sense)

It is a nice medium color level silver.  Not super light like a bright silver would be, but not so dark that it looks like actual taupe dirt, lol.  This particular color is what I reach for often when I don't know what to pick or can't decide on a color.  It goes with everything.  

Thanks so much, for this and for the the swatches!  You've sold me, I'm getting the eyeshadow.    I love those colors that go with everything. :)

• normajean2008 and Jac13 like this

• 2,325,359 Posts
  • 110,381 Members
  • 18,587 Reviews
  • 53,994 Albums