Let's Discuss Blogging: Tips, Tricks, & Advice

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NOTE: Please do not post your blog/youtube link here. This thread is for discussion only.

Nowadays, it seems common place to have a blog. Whether it be specifically about beauty or otherwise. There's a lot that goes into blogging and questions constantly pop up. So I thought having a discussion topic would be a good place to start when it comes to everything that blogging is. I hope that we can share tips and advice to help one another improve the quality of their sites.

Here's some of my advice.

1. Test run new ads and apps.

I've visited blogs that I couldn't even get to load because of the amount of active adverts or apps in place. It would slow down the blog in such away that makes me not want to return to read more posts. When adding a new ad or blog app, especially one that involves any sort of animation or sound (please no!), always run a few tests on various browsers or computers to see how quickly your page can load. If you can, test on different internet connections too. For me, if a blog takes so long to load because of all of the knick-knacks on there, I just click away and never return. 

2. Make your navigation simple.

When considering how to sort and organize your sidebar, make things easy for your reader to find. Organize your side bar links where people can easily find them. Consider making your main content lists close to the top and highlighted with a larger title. For example, if you run a subscription box blog, consider having a list of the boxes you review with links to view all posts regarding that box. Make this list front and center so that your reader won't have to search for specific boxes or try to hunt down your database list. Try not to make your list only be accessible by another link, such as, "Click here to see all of the types of boxes I review." Of course, you can do both and have all your bases covered. Navigation is easiest when your labels are clear and accessible by 1 click.  Except for things that require their own page.

3. What to put on separate pages.

A lot of blog services allow you to make pages to add your blog. Not everything needs it's own page. But other things work better on a page. For example, your policies. If you have a short policy, you can leave it at the very bottom of your blog. However, you have a lengthier policy, you might consider putting it on it's own page. It's important to have policies, but your normal readers probably aren't going to read them. Put them on a page which will allow those interested to view them and keep your main blog home less cluttered. Other things you should consider putting on a page include contact information for advertisers and sponsors, which include information on related policies.

4. Feng Shui those ads.

Not everyone likes ads, but we can definitely understand their need. Don't overwhelm your reader by putting ads anywhere they can be placed. Step back and take a look at your blog and find areas where the ads can still be seen, but less intrusively. If you have a 3 column layout, consider only putting ads on one side. For larger ads, consider putting them on individual post pages, after the comment section. 

Another idea is trying to go imageless when it comes to ads. Typically your ad contains a unique link which tracks the incoming traffic to the main website. You can add this link into blog posts when you're writing about the brand or their products. Something a long the lines of, "If you would like to buy this product for yourself, feel free to do so here." However, you must make it clear that your post contains a referral link.

Last edited by a moderator:
@@Deareux, I agree with everything you've written. 

Some other tips:

Be consistent. My blog is still pretty new, but I've noticed that since I started posting daily, my traffic has gradually started to rise. Content needs to be new and fresh to keep people interested. Not saying you have to post every single day, but make a schedule and keep up with it. I'm not sure about other platforms, but wordpress allows you to schedule posts. This is a huge help for me. I try to be at least a few days ahead, so that if something comes up, my blog will still update. 

Network. I'm not talking about repeatedly posting your blog link everywhere and becoming a nuisance. That's not the way to gain new readers, I think most people find such antics rather off-putting. Find other blogs that you like. Read and leave relevant comments. Participate in the forums here. If people like what you have to say and find you interesting, they're likely to click a link to find your blog. I'd much prefer to have 5 or 10 readers visiting and leaving comments than 100 people just browsing on occasion. 

Design. Keep it simple. I prefer sites that don't have tons of flashing advertisements, scrolling image sliders, and all kinds of stuff crammed into the sidebar. When you have so many things on your front page, they are competing against each other and your eyes don't know where to focus. Make sure you have a focal point, whether that's your blog header, an image slider, or something else. Don't overwhelm your visitors. Also, check your design in multiple browsers, on your phone and tablet. Something might look great in Chrome, but completely different in Safari or be hard to read on a phone. 

Design. Keep it simple. I prefer sites that don't have tons of flashing advertisements, scrolling image sliders, and all kinds of stuff crammed into the sidebar. When you have so many things on your front page, they are competing against each other and your eyes don't know where to focus. Make sure you have a focal point, whether that's your blog header, an image slider, or something else. Don't overwhelm your visitors. Also, check your design in multiple browsers, on your phone and tablet. Something might look great in Chrome, but completely different in Safari or be hard to read on a phone.
This is one of my favorite tips! Show your style but dont make it hard for me to focus on your content! Im there to read what you have to say!

For me it's super important to always be polite and friendly towards anyone who comments on my blog. Write in an open way in your post and bond with the people you are writing to ^^

This is great advice @@Deareux - have you been blogging long?

My key bit of advice would be make sure you have an e-mail list that people can sign up to - this is far and a way the best way to drive traffic back to your blog when you have new posts or announcements

This is great advice, thanks!!  I am getting ready to start a blog and I need all the help I can get.  I hope to have it up & running by next week...I've got a lot to say...lol!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back