Make-up for Mature skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, 

I am new here and just wanted to ask some advice from you all if you don't mind.

I'm working on an assignment and part of it is products and formulas for mature skin. I know they use Retinol, vitamins e & c, caffeine and collagen amongst other things. It's as a mother of the bride and I have to travel to the hotel to apply make-up for the bridal party

I just wondered what sort of products (Cleanser, toner, moisturiser, foundation, primer, concealer, powder, eye-shadows, liners, lipstick colours etc) you would use that contain some 'anti-aging' ingredients but don't settle into the fine lines and wrinkles.

I know that you don't want to use pink blushers they need to be peachy colours. I need to stay away from shimmery/glittery products as well. Eyeshadows need to be neutral tones. 

I have spent ages trying to find the best products but have found that so far everything that have got good reviews from more mature clients have all had spf in them. And doing the research I have found that you don't want products that contain SPF because the person would appear washed out in the wedding photos.

Starting to lose the will to live with this assignment! If someone is able to help that would be totally amazing!!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

As someone with mature skin, I'd have to say that leaving out the SPF is a ginormous NO-NO!

Whilst we'd love, love, love, to look amazing for our child's big day, we'd rather not risk looking 20 years older the next day.

Think about it: We put TONNES of creams, serums, moisturisers, lotions, etc, on our faces (and likely, the décolleté area) just to turn back the hands of time. Even if foregoing SPF for one day won't undo all the work we've put in, we're likely to THINK it did. :/

I'd recommend, instead of foregoing the SPF, using a chemical sunscreen. It's the physical sunscreens (think titanium dioxide, among a few others) that, because they reflect the sun's ray back, have the white, shiny cast. The ones with avobenzone (a chemcial sunscreen) *absorb* the rays, so there's no cast nor awful reflection in photos.

And I'd rather risk a little potential irritation (YMMV) than foregoing sunscreen altogether. Just MHO.

A really good moisturiser with sunscreen that I use and love is Paula's Choice Moisture Boost + SPF. Very moisturising on my dry, dry, old skin, and no oogey cast or flashback. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And yes, you're going to want to moisturise the bloody hell out of every woman over 40. And they'll thank you profusely for it. <3

Best of luck to you!

Anyone know any really good foundations for mature skin (my Mom is looking for a new foundation). She has used Clinique BB and CC creams as well as MAC concealer in the past. Her major concerns are wrinkles and discoloration from sun damage.

Her skin is on the dry side.

I love love IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC cream.

It does several things.

Multi tasking cc cream . Spf 50, moisturizer and anti aging.

Although I do still wear moisturizer underneath.

Doesn't settle into my wrinkles and gives me medium coverage.

To me it doesn't feel like I have anything on, and that's a critical point for me

I can't wear anything heavy on my face. If I can feel it in my face I won't wear it!

Whatever she decides, I hope she finds what works for her

@@eastofthesun - Estee Lauder has been a go to for me for awhile.  If you go to the mall, they will give you a 10 day sample.   I wear the DayWear Light version of their foundations.  Its probably got the same coverage as your mom's BB/CC creams.  Buildable to more coverage. 

I am trying a bunch of foundations myself.  Its not easy.

Back