Coarse upper lip texture?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First of all, misery loves company (plus, I'd like to know that I'm not a freak), so I'm hoping someone out here in MUT land has either had this problem (and found a solution) or knows someone who did. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm 45 and I've noticed over the years ... for lack of a better term ... my upper lip area's skin has gotten ... coarser. Think of a man's upper lip ~ not so much the hair, but the texture. I do have hyperpigmentation ~ but that's more easily covered up than the actual texture. I've tried B's PoreFessional, Smashbox's line of primers, Tarte's Clean Slate, and TF's Primed and Poreless ~ none of them really seem to do the job.

I've come to the conclusion that it's either hormonal (thank you to my "early menopause" genes) or dry, dry skin. I actually broke down and used a *pumice stone (yes, you read that right ~ but it's never been used, so there's that, at least) on that area and it seemed to help with the texture some.

*For the last two weeks, I've been having to wash off and reapply my makeup at least 4 times each day ~ none of the millions of products I've got seemed to do a damned thing, so I'd wash my face and start over. The pumice stone was, I think, a desperate cry for help.

I will admit that I do have terribly dry skin (yet, still combination skin). I look fine (but with a pale face and a fake tan everywhere else) without makeup, except for a few hyperpigmented spots ~ but as soon as I put on foundation, my skin gets so dry it's like a cracked eggshell. There's nothing like having the Sahara desert on your face to really accentuate fine lines! o_O

I am taking steps to fix the problem, though. I did a 50% glycolic acid peel the other day, and I'm going to do another one in a few days (I'm an old pro with GA at this point). I might even end up doing another 12% TCA, too ~ though, obviously, not at the same time or even within weeks of each other!

So ... am I alone with this? Does it sound like dry skin or do I need to talk to my doctor about hormone therapy (or whatever old women like me are supposed to do!)?

My deepest thanks in advance for any commisseration or advice! <3

Forgot to mention the purpose of this post ~ if any of you DO or HAVE had this, how did you cover it up? Desperate minds really, really, really want to know!!

Thank you so much! <3

Same thing was happening to me!! I'm a lot younger though. I just left it as it was along with Vaseline and exfoliation, and it seems to be getting better. Your's though seems a little worst than what mine was, I would go to the dermatologist if you have the money to spend right now. Put some Vaseline on it every night before you go to bed, a thick layer too! That helps with dry skin without causing irritation to the skin. I would also like you said you did try to exfoliate it, but be careful and not use anything to harsh because we don't know if it a rash/infection/skin irritation/etc yet until you visit a doctor. Good luck!!  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back