General or Focused Content?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on a metric buttload of starter posts for a new blog -- essentially, I'm trying to get a month's worth of daily 'evergreen' content* for a blog I'm starting. I've been gathering content seeds and topics for a few months, so I don't wind up being sporadic, and I have topics on hand to write about even when nothing new and exciting presents itself.

My question is this: I'm intending to make mine more diverse, addressing a whole host of topics rather than just one area or interest. Do you think this would make people less likely to read? I'm trying to find a mechanism that would allow people to subscribe to just one category, or selected categories, but I haven't really gotten there yet. 

(Evergreen content, in the publishing industry, is a term from the print-magazine days referring to content which isn't time-sensitive and can be held and used when needed to fill space, or cut and saved when space is running low. Essentially, always 'fresh.')

This is something I'm sort of struggling with right now as well. I've been a part of content-specific blogs in the past, but this is really the first time I've done a blog completely on my own. (I have always been a part of sites that had multiple bloggers posting.) I've been sticking mostly to beauty/make-up posts initially--because that's where my biggest interest is right now--but I don't think I really want to be a beauty blog. My interests are so diverse and I like writing about lots of different things. I don't want readers to feel like I'm coming out of left field with certain things, but I also feel like I would get bored very easily if I concentrate on only one specific thing, like cosmetics. I'm trying to decide if this will help or hinder me in the long run. 

What are some of the things that you are writing about? My blog is only about a month old and I've been trying to be very regular with my postings, but I find myself struggling with content ideas. I don't want to post a bunch of generic stuff, but at the same time, I don't want there to be long stretches of time between postings. 

When reading blogs, I usually prefer focus content and I generally seek out blogs that are based around topics that I'm currently into reading. However, I also like to see a bit of the writer's personality and life (such as hobbies, events, etc) which makes me feel like I know this person more. That's how my blog is formatted. I usually write about beauty products, but at the same time I'm not hesitant to write more personal things.

This is something I'm sort of struggling with right now as well. I've been a part of content-specific blogs in the past, but this is really the first time I've done a blog completely on my own. (I have always been a part of sites that had multiple bloggers posting.) I've been sticking mostly to beauty/make-up posts initially--because that's where my biggest interest is right now--but I don't think I really want to be a beauty blog. My interests are so diverse and I like writing about lots of different things. I don't want readers to feel like I'm coming out of left field with certain things, but I also feel like I would get bored very easily if I concentrate on only one specific thing, like cosmetics. I'm trying to decide if this will help or hinder me in the long run. 

What are some of the things that you are writing about? My blog is only about a month old and I've been trying to be very regular with my postings, but I find myself struggling with content ideas. I don't want to post a bunch of generic stuff, but at the same time, I don't want there to be long stretches of time between postings. 
Oh, I want to write about a bunch of things. Topical issues, books, TV, movies, essays, pets, geekery, makeup (of course)... I can't really see myself talking about just one thing, like you said. 

When reading blogs, I usually prefer focus content and I generally seek out blogs that are based around topics that I'm currently into reading. However, I also like to see a bit of the writer's personality and life (such as hobbies, events, etc) which makes me feel like I know this person more. That's how my blog is formatted. I usually write about beauty products, but at the same time I'm not hesitant to write more personal things.
I have so many interests that it's hard for me to consider just writing about one topic, and I love to write, sooooo. 

This is food for thought, though. I should try and find a way to let people just subscribe to the stuff they want to read. 

Back