Super sensitive skin, with rosacea, acne, and incredible oiliness - HELP!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So about two months ago I was diagnosed with super sensitive skin, acne, and rosacea. My dermatologist told me no more scrubs, no more saliclyic acid (my skin is basically too sensitive to it and it was causing cystic acne), I'm sensitive to silicones (make me break out), and just "switch to non-comedogenic make-up." Luckily my skin is not that red compared to others I've seen, but it I'm just all over rosy. I'm less worried about the rosiness, and wayyyyyy more concerned with my acne and oily skin. 

My routine consists of the following:

-CeraVe Normal to Oily Face Wash

-Adapalene Cream (Differin) .1%

-EpiCeram emulsion [as my moisturizer]

-Persa-gel spot treatment for moderate to severe cystic acne [has lessened since routine/makeup change, but blackheads and such have continued]

-Benzyl Peroxide 2.5% cream for skin when needed, but dries me out too much to use too often

-Everyday Minerals matte face powder in ivory (1N) + EM concealer when needed

My skin gets incredibly oily within two hours (literally what a pool of oil in a pan looks like) with or without make-up on. I was using the Everyday Minerals anti-shine powder, but it made my face feel like it had a bunch of dirt on it once the oil was soaked up into it and reached its saturation point. Blotting papers only solve the problem for about a half hour or so, and it's impossible as a teacher to continually fix my make-up.

What can I possibly do??? My skin was so sensitive that the dry to normal CeraVe face wash irritated my skin (I'm guessing Cetyl alcohol because it isn't in the version I use now). Primers that work all seem to have silicones in them :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Literally, my make-up doesn't stay on longer than two hours. On the weekend I barely wear make-up but it's the same deal - feel like I have to wash my face by mid-morning.

Please help!!

I can only speak from the rosacea side of things... But I love the Bye Bye Redness by It Cosmetics to cover my redness. It's seriously a miracle worker!!!

I know a lot of dermatologists recommend Cetaphil face wash. Here's one you might want to try... http://www.cetaphil.com/dermacontrol-oil-control-foam-wash Have you tried the Tarte face powders at all?? I've heard great things about them for oily skin. I hope you find something that works for you! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When you use face creams in the morning it breaks down makeup, using less or as little as possible (maybe even none) face cream in the morning with your bare minerals powder should help! Also when using prescription acne products that dry out your skin, your skin tries to make up for it by producing more oil. Try keeping a very thin coat of products on your face. 

Also is it really oil or is some of it sweat from heat and talking in the classroom? My teacher always had problems sweating so she kept tissues around to dot at her forehead.

Blotting papers always help, make sure to always keep them with you.

There is a trick you can use with milk of Magnesia as a primer, especially if you are pale. It does leave a white-cast so you may have to go up a shade on your bare minerals. Milk of Magnesia has 0 silicone and it can be found in the laxative isle of your pharmacy. It's a pale liquid and there are a ton of people who use it as a primer. Some people don't like it, some people do. You want to use a very minimal amount of it on a cotton ball and sweep it over your forehead and chin and nose, basically any areas you get oily. Wait for it to dry. And make sure to do this step after your skincare is finished. Then, once it's COMPLETELY dry, buff in your bare minerals.

It may seem weird but if you google it, there are plenty of videos and such and you'll be fine.

I didn't know salicylic acid could cause cystic acne o_o

My acne has been realllly bad lately. I had to schedule an appointment with a dermatologist too, sigh. I've always had moderately bad acne, cysts, and a lot of scars, but I felt like it was exceptionally bad as of recent (like, I usually gauge by whether or not I start bleeding)...

I know I'm allergic to benzyol peroxide and lol yeah, but I'm not allergic to aspirin so I thought it'd be okay to use stuff with salicylic acid. But I did start using the Murad set lately and I just felt like it made my skin worse... but it's been getting slightly better too??? So now I'm confused. But that does make sense since salicylic acid is a derivative of methyl salicylate, which can be caustic.

Anyway, I'll probably go return my Murad skin kit; I'm going to HK so this is going to do wondres for my skin /sarcasm. But at least I'll have the derm appointment when I get back.

I feel you :C good luck.

also: it would really suck if I couldn't use salicylic acid since I am super sensitive to benzyol peroxide. Since I haven't used it for a while, I tried the spot treatment in my murad kit and lol it caused so much redness and inflamation on the inside of my mouth/mouth sores for like a week. I've tried other things, but I'm just ready

Last edited by a moderator:
@@HappyisYellow sadly the Bye Bye Redness and the tarte powder has all the 'cones in it, so I don't think it will work for my skin :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Everything that makes everyone else's skin look good seems like it is off the table for me! I will look into the cetaphil wash, but it looks like it's not non-comedogenic...

@ The acne stuff (and EpiCerum) I use only at night, and just wash my face gently in the morning. It's definitely oil - I look almost just as greasy after 2-3 hours in my bedroom at 65* :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But for sure a bit more when I'm out and about or wearing a face of make-up. I will definitely look into the Milk of Magnesia primer trick!!! Thank you!

@ I had no idea either!! I always thought my skin was not sensitive at all because I had oily, acne prone skin. I used scrubs (die-hard st. ives for years), the acids (salicylic, glycolic, etc.), benzyl peroxide all over, etc. I've also tried the whole run-down of drug-store acne stuff + pro-active, etc. I was actually using the purity face wash for a while and my skin actually got a whole lot better from not using salicylic acid face wash, which surprised me, but still wasn't the best for my skin. 

The key is being extremely gentle with your skin and avoiding known irritants as much as possible. Chose unfragranced products whenever possible. Two books by Paula Begoun may help you tremendously. The Beauty Bible and Don't Go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me..

I had the same type of skin plus acne when I was younger, now I have no acne, but still super sensitive, rosacea and dryness now that I'm older.

If you overstrip your skin you will get oil rebound. Have you tried washing with Cetaphil cleanser and tepid water? Sensitive skin can react badly to both cold and hot, and so can rosecea. Keep your water temps slightly warm. The Milk of Magnesia does work very well as a primer before makeup to absorb oil. Apply very thinly, you don't want a cracking, chipping layer.

I have PCOS which causes my skin to be incredibly oily and acne prone. I use ProActiv Plus, and I also take pantothenic acid and niacinamide supplements which, in combination, have evened out my skin tone and do wonderfully at controlling my acne. The ProActiv does have salicylic acid in it, but the rest of the ingredients break down the harshness of it. Believe it or not, putting oil on your skin may actually help as well. Olive oil or coconut oil as a moisturizer might soothe some of the redness. Good luck!

I too have sensitive skin that is oily and acne-prone ( I do not have rosacea, so I can't give you any specific advice there).

Overwashing/cleansing your face can not only make your skin more prone to irritation, but also for it to produce more oil.  So I recommend only using a gel cleanser 2x a day.  Make sure all facial products you are using are alcohol-free. 

If they contain alcohols, they are actually causing your skin to produce more oil (and therefore increase your likelihood of breakouts as well).

(Alcohols can overdry your skin, which in turn, makes your skin compensate for this by producing more oil)

Also **stay away from foaming cleansers** (they can overdry skin).  Gel cleansers are best for oily skin.

Some good gentle, alcohol-free cleansers include:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/182794017/very-gentle-botanical-facial-cleanser?ref=shop_home_active_13

https://www.etsy.com/listing/83040687/white-rose-organic-cleansing-milk-ultra?ref=sr_gallery_20&ga_search_query=rosacea&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

For moisturizers (to help balance out your skin), I recommend:

Earth Science Fragrance-Free Almond-Aloe moisturizer

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/earth-science-almond-aloe-moisturizer-fragrance-free/ID=prod6110289-product

&

Mill Creek Botanicals 99% pure aloe vera gel

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/mill-creek-botanicals-99-aloe-vera-gel/ID=prod6161465-product?AID=10654946&PID=193658&SID=s1_936611466&CID=189639&ext=193658

I only apply a very thin layer (of either) under my makeup, and then again at night (after cleansing and showering).

(Aloe vera and cucumber are very gentle, soothing ingredients, so I doubt these would irritate your skin.)  I have been using both of these moisturizers for years and have never experienced any irritation (or breakouts) because of them.

I'd also take a good look at the ingredients on the products you are currently using.... perfumes, glycols, dyes, chlorides and sulfates are too harsh for sensitive skin.  For me, (personally), grapefruit, lemon, lime (and some essential oils) also cause me breakouts or redness.  I also stay away from peppermint and menthol ingredients, which are way too strong for my skin as well.

Michael Todd Organics has a great line for both oily and sensitive skin....

check out their Cranberry & Blue-green Algae toners (both alcohol-free)

Also consider Yonka's toner/lotion (alcohol-free)

http://www.amazon.com/Yonka-LOTION-PG-Alcohol-Normal/dp/B000GZ7GEM/ref=sr_1_55?ie=UTF8&qid=1410765735&sr=8-55&keywords=toner+alcohol+free

( These toners can help reduce overall redness, while still getting bacteria and excess oil out of your pores.)

Puretem Purevera also has some great organic (alcohol-free) skin products for sensitive skin

http://www.amazon.com/Puretem-Purevera-Facial-Toner-Organic/dp/B003YNBF18/ref=sr_1_13?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1411019181&sr=1-13&keywords=organic+aloe+vera+gel+alcohol+free

Lastly, make sure to keep your body hydrated. 

If you are not drinking enough water everyday (or eating water-rich foods, like fruits & veggies), your skin will produce excess oil.

Eating a healthier diet can also greatly improve your skin's appearance, oiliness and overall health.

** Stay away from excessive sugars and caffeine, these both dehydrate your skin.  Also, try to avoid foods rich in unhealthy fats and salt.... (including fast food, candy, soda, chips) and many frozen items are high in sodium.

*Healthy* fats, like those found in fish, avocados and olive oils are good for your skin in moderation.

Try to drink 5-6 glasses of water daily and more green tea.  Fresh fruits and veggies (esp leafy greens, watermelon and berries) are rich in water and antioxidants to help improve the look and feel of your skin.

Also, regarding makeup, stay away from any products containing alcohols and mica (these will only make you look shinier.)

A safe, mica-free, oil-free, fragrance-free primer is:

http://www.silknaturals.com/store/index.php/oil-control-primer.html

For pressed powder foundations (if you wear foundation), I recommend...

http://www.laurenbrookecosmetiques.com/products/powder-foundation

For a good, lightweight mattifying/finishing powder, try....

rms 'un-powder' translucent finishing powder

http://www.beautylish.com/s/rms-beauty-un-powder

(*no fragrance, no alcohols, no mica, no oils, no talc)

&

alison raffaele Translucent Loose Powder

http://www.alisonraffaele.com/Powders-Transparent_Finish_Powder.html

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=37245/translucent_loose_powder/Alison_Raffaele/Loose_Powders

(No mica, no irritants)

Also, there are some more tips for oily and sensitive skin here...

http://www.mattifycosmetics.com/mattify-powder-for-oily-skin-1/

Jane Iredale, Real Purity, Lauren Brooke,  and Cory Cosmetics are all good organic brands to check out.  (*Be sure to read the ingredients on each individual product,however, to make sure a product doesn't contain oils, alcohols or mica.  Each product varies.)

(*Cory Cosmetics are mica-free.)

LA minerals oil control powder works great and keeps my face looking matte all day. They have trial sizes.

I use it on my t zone and eyelids and my ears! OMG my ears are like oil wells..but it soaks it up.

Blackheads are painful and unavoidable! In the stressed and hectic lifestyle, which requires you to be exposed to the polluted environment, blackheads are natural. And bursting a myth for you, getting rid of them is not that difficult, neither is it expensive like those facials. Yes, you just need to get acquainted with the problem properly in order to reach to its solutions.

What exactly are Blackheads?

Blackheads actually, are a type of acne that appear when the pores in your skin are clogged with dead skin cells or oil (that’s why all skin-care beauty tips recommend you to exfoliate your skin). These turn black because of being exposed to oxygen and getting oxidized.

e6a002f3ad.jpg

How to get rid of Blackheads?

One home remedy to get rid of Blackheads is by applying egg white as a face pack. Alubin in the egg white helps you tighten the pores of the skin.

Back