High end liquid foundation for oily,acne prone skin?(Price doesn't matter)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,I really need a recommendation for HIGH END liquid foundation for my oily,super pale,sensitive,thin,extremely acne prone skin.Naturally I don't have many pimples,but all drugstore foundations I tried broke me out like crazy and got oily after about 3 to 4 hours.

I have to stay away from a powder because it clogs my pores horribly(my dermatologist said that,and he was right).

I need for foundation to be medium to full coverage and with a matte finish too,but not overly heavy or cakey.Does such thing even exist?Please help,I'm hopeless and stopped wearing makeup because of that :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

From what you describe, the foundation I know of that would probably work best is the Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder foundation. It is supposed to be great for oily, acne-prone skin and dries to a full-coverage, matte finish that doesn't need powder.

It is a little heavy for my taste, but lighter than say, the Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo foundation, so it's hard to know what someone else will consider too heavy or not. It is a beautiful foundation, though.

Hi, 

Have you thought about trying a specific skin care brand like Dermalogica or Clinique? There are clinique counters in Debenhams, Boots, Selfridges etc and they have people to advise you and if you ask they usually give you a sample to try. Go to an authorised stockist for Dermalogica. I use these guys http://www.lafantine.com/ If you email them they will send you free samples so you can try before you buy. Which is important if you have skin problems. I know, I've spent so much money on skin care for my ultra sensitive / eczema prone skin only to have to stop using it. Look for oil free foundations too.

Hope that helps : ) 

Last edited by a moderator:
You should definitely try bareMinerals' new serum foundation BareSkin. It is amazing. It's free of silicones so it doesn't cause cystic acne. It's got vitamin C to help fade acne scars, it's freaking AMAZING I LOVE IT!!!

I use Estie Lauder Double Wear and I'm very happy with it. I've used Clinique in the past too. I think if you go to their counters they will give 10 day supply sample to try, before you purchase.

Hi,I really need a recommendation for HIGH END liquid foundation for my oily,super pale,sensitive,thin,extremely acne prone skin.Naturally I don't have many pimples,but all drugstore foundations I tried broke me out like crazy and got oily after about 3 to 4 hours.

I have to stay away from a powder because it clogs my pores horribly(my dermatologist said that,and he was right).

I need for foundation to be medium to full coverage and with a matte finish too,but not overly heavy or cakey.Does such thing even exist?Please help,I'm hopeless and stopped wearing makeup because of that :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I have been on this search for years! I feel ya!! I'm a grease ball with acne prone skin.

I've tried around 30 looking for my HG, here's my 2 cents....

Hourglass is nice at first, then it caked up on me. Also, color selection is limited, I was mixing 2 to get close to my shade and at $55 an ounce, ugh!

Make for ever Velvet Matt was okay, still shined through, cost $36.

Lancome Teint Idole was okay, still shined through, cost $45.

Tarte Amazonian Clay is good, not much shine, but it broke down after a 12 hour day (unfortunately I have 12+ hour days consistently) great for 8 hours or less, cost $38 but you get 1.7 oz!

I've tried many, many, many, more, but these are some of the best.

My favorite is a mix of drugstore and mid-range and highend (ish)

Estee Lauder Double Wear ($37), Revlon Color Stay ($9) and Doir's Diorskin Pore Minimizer ($42) primer here's why:

This primer is FANTASTIC!!! It's what really keeps me matte!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Seriously it needs that many exclamation points!)

The Revlon is just the right amount of coverage and slip (movement when applying) and the Estee Lauder is the a great mattifier. On it's own RC is not a matte foundation and EL is good, but it wasn't perfect. The combo lasts well over 12 hours and although I need to blot I can go for hours looking fine. 

Go to Sephora, you can sample everything (but the RC). I'd try a few out and narrow down your search...then purchase what you think will work and buy the full size, but save that receipt and boxes, if it doesn't work TAKE IT BACK! They will exchange it happily and once you find what works for you, you'll spend plenty to make up for any returns!

Good Luck! (If you want info on Acne, I have HG stuff there too)

I have the same skin issues, and I really like Clarins Everlasting foundation. It feels really nice on the skin, never breaks me out, has decent amount of coverage (medium, but definitely buidable), and it lasts better than other foundations I've tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is decent, but I do use a primer and set it with powder. This way it does get me through the day just fine. But I have to use primer and powder with every single foundation, otherwise there is nothing that can control my oil

I recently went to the Clarins counter and got a sample of their Everlasting Foundation. It's medium to full coverage(full imo) and it lasts all day and doesn't get shiny on me. But it doesn't leave that yucky caked on mask look.

I'm wearing it in the following pics. Right after applying.

CAM00736.jpg

4 hours later, as you can see, I'm glowy but not oily. 

CAM00741.jpg

Latest posts

Back