SquareHue December 2014 spoilers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's the picture -- Novariemi!  (Which I admit I had to look up, as I'd never heard of it.)

SquareHue_Rovaniemi_Banner.jpg

I don't know if I'll reactivate my sub or not.  I think I'd scream if I got another off-white creme.  Red & green would of course be fun for Christmas, but I have a boatload of reds already.  I think I've gotten to the point that I'm unwilling to risk the money on unknown polishes any more -- while we usually have a good idea of the colors, the finishes aren't known and I have more than enough cremes and simple shimmers.  Sigh.

This is a cute one for December!  I had to look it up, too, and Rovariemi is officially known as Santa's hometown.  As for the colors, hmm...  It looks like more of a coral than a red.  *Really* hoping it's not red/green/white, especially if they're all creams.  That combination makes me actively hostile.

I love this month's theme! Such a fun idea! I'll stick around because I hope they do fun finishes for the holidays but after this month they need to add red to their do not send list! I never thought I'd say that because it's my favorite color, but enough is enough! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be up for a red holo, but otherwise I have enough reds.  Not going to cancel my sub but will wait to see what SquareHue is going to do for 2015.

Oh, yay, they're changing the overall theme next year! It's going to be the Decades Collection, and each month will be a different decade! I hope they dig into the history of the nail colors women used during the specific decades because yellow and blue polish is not a new thing. (I know, enough with the yellows, but it would be interesting if they went with historically accurate shades for the different eras, even if it *was* another yellow or red.)

I love the idea of a Decades Collection yet am not sure how much I'll really buy.  Face it, pink and red are the big ones no matter what decade, and glitter polishes and holo ones are only relatively recent.  So I think it'll have to go with what colors were popular in the decades for clothing and decor, not nail polish per se.  Like orange, avocado green, and brown for the 1970s.... yuck!  That's just an example.  I thought SqH's Vintage Love set in February 2013 had a very 1940s vibe.

Anyway, I think unless SqH changes its program in the coming year I'm out.  I want a choice of boxes, even just a choice between two, or to be able to buy individual polishes.  Am probably sounding like a broken record over this.  Have just gotten too many polishes I don't want, which is $$ I can't afford to waste.

I love the idea of a Decades Collection yet am not sure how much I'll really buy.  Face it, pink and red are the big ones no matter what decade, and glitter polishes and holo ones are only relatively recent.  So I think it'll have to go with what colors were popular in the decades for clothing and decor, not nail polish per se.  Like orange, avocado green, and brown for the 1970s.... yuck!  That's just an example.  I thought SqH's Vintage Love set in February 2013 had a very 1940s vibe.

Anyway, I think unless SqH changes its program in the coming year I'm out.  I want a choice of boxes, even just a choice between two, or to be able to buy individual polishes.  Am probably sounding like a broken record over this.  Have just gotten too many polishes I don't want, which is $$ I can't afford to waste.
i totally agree - i keep forgetting to update my expired CC, so I've been put on hold and haven't regretted it so far. debating whether to just leave it alone for Dec too now, since most likely I'll have dupes anyway

I don't really know what I think about the Decades Collection. I'm excited to see exactly what it is...are they going to be sending out colors based on what was popular during different generations or inspired by historical events or even people? Maybe a combination of both? Hopefully they can take some liberty and present each color in fun finishes that allow them to show off the generation but won't mean only cremes are being delivered every month. 

As for SquareHue the company, honestly I don't have many problems with their current model. I do think they send out too many similar polishes but I don't know if I want them to move to an option where subscribers get a choice of their box. I guess I like that it's a mystery each month what you'll get, but you have enough of a preview with the picture each month to decide if you want to skip.

I have pretty much replaced my Julep subscription with SquareHue and I also subscribe to Color Me Monthly and one of my favorite things about these is that the colors each month is a total surprise. I also know though that it is an expensive gamble and it is really disappointing when I get a box from either with a color I would have never bought if I had seen it beforehand (although sometimes these turn out to be my favorite colors). Maybe offering individual polishes would be a good compromise and would still allow subscribers to get polish even when it's not in the budget for a month or so and/or the preview picture didn't make them want a box. 

From that survey SquareHue sent out recently, it looks like they have changes planned and I'm excited to see what they are going to do! 

Last edited by a moderator:

Your comment about orange (burnt sienna), avocado green and brown for the 70s made me laugh! I own a Betty Crocker Recipe file in Harvest Gold. Do you remember those? What the heck did they call that brown shade? I, sadly, am still a child of the 70s. 

Also, for the on topic part of this post... I just opened my email stating that Squarehue billed for December's box. Yup. Forgot to cancel after my travels through Prague. I must be crazy, because I'm still smitten with last month's polishes. I'm justifying December's box with I can never have too many greens. We'll see about the rest.

Hariette - you'll have to post some pics when your December box arrives.  I don't know anyone who didn't skip it.  I just didn't need another red.  

I am likewise still loving Prague - have the sparkly grey on right now (I can't remember any of the names from that box).  Hopefully the decades are promising.  I really like the company and would like to get more polishes in colours I will actually wear.

I'm getting the December box too! I also have too many reds but I just can't pass up festive colors! 

Also, add me to the list of November box lovers! I have on na prikope right now and it is one of my new favorite polishes. I never thought a sage green would become a favorite polish, but it is a great neutral for fall!

I received my box today! The colors are really pretty. There is a deep green, a really pretty shimmery red (very Christmassy shades of both) and a glittery gold. Very pretty christmas colors!

I got mine yesterday too. I'll try to get swatches up in a little bit if nobody else does. The best part there isn't a cream in the bunch. The red is a micro glitter, the yellow-gold is a textured micro glitter, and the green is a suede. I have a well documented hatred of all the yellows but this one is really pretty at least in the bottle. I now if I try and put it on it will look awful on me but I really like it in the bottle.

I haven't gotten my shipping yet, so pics would be great! I was expecting holiday colors so I'm not disappointed they are so traditional but I am really excited that they included a micro glitter, suede, and texture! I was hoping for fun finishes!

Oooh, a green suede?  That is totally right up my alley.  I'm wondering how it compares to Zoya's Veruschka. 

The colors and finishes do sound really nice yet I'm not sad I skipped.  Glad there was a gold instead of an off-white, but then again SqH has sent lots of golds in the last two years.

Pics please!!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I haven't gotten my December box yet, but the mail is not expected for another hour & a half so there is still hope!

Change of rant, uh, I mean topic...  I would just like to know why, on November 29th, Squarehue has still not posted a lookbook for Prague? Or am I the only one that gets bothered by this?

Latest posts

Back