Need some serious help with my eyes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm at my wits end. For anyone who feels like taking on a challenge, I need some serious help with my eyes. I've tried just about everything to open them up and make them appear less droopy to no avail. I've been blessed with the worst combination of small, droopy, puffy, buggy, sparse lashed, and huge eyelids possible. I'm almost convinced there is no makeup trick that will make them look any less weird. My eyes are all the way open in this pic...

Typically I apply liner to the outer upper corners, put taupe/ burgundy eyeshadow on the outer halves of my gigantic upper eyelid planes, and bring a small smudge upward at about the 2 o'clock position above the crease towards my brow. It still does nothing to fix any of the problems though.

There are no traditional eye type standards I can follow, because my eyes break all the rules; the most annoying of which is that trying to open them up by concentrating on my upper eyelids backfires due to the fact that no matter what, there is an enormous hulking crease a full inch above my eyes where my eyeballs recede into my skull. And if I just cover the entire eyelids in eyeshadow, I wind up with two huge, dark flaps of skin that look anything but awake.

Arrrggh! Help!!

10846458_10202197543418576_784425466043879839_n_zps9f8e1e6a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For starters I think you are adorable and you are quite lovely the way you are pictured above.  

So you know I am not a makeup artist.  I am a layperson though my eyes are small, my lashes are short, my eye lids are definitely hooded - not especially visible, and my eyes are close too together.  With makeup I find I can make my eyes look bigger, further apart, and more alert-looking - this took years of practice and experimenting with different effects using different products.  If I were to experiment with your face the following is what I would want to try out the following:  

• I am of the belief that you highlight your best assets and on your face that is either your eyes, your cheeks, or your lips - pick one and keep the other two relatively neutral - otherwise your makeup may look overwhelming.  My favourite feature on your face is your cheeks!
  • One question I have is have you ever used a light coloured eye shadow to highlight the inner corners of your eyes and/or your brown bones?  If so, how did it work out for you?  -- I ended up buying and trying at least a dozen different highlighters before I found one that worked out well for me what I discovered are the ones which appear to be a cool pink are the ones which have the most noticeable effect.
  • If you don't already, avoid using any black eye makeup.  I would only use brown eyeliner and/or mascara because brown reflects gold whereas black reflects blue - giving the illusion on dark circles. Though I think it is always a good idea to apply concealer to cover dark circles before applying any other makeup.  After concealer I would apply bb cream or foundation (assuming you have followed your normal routine with moisturizer and primer).
  • Since you mentioned sparse lashes I would probably tight line my upper lashes with a dark brown eyeliner pencil and apply a lengthening & volumizing mascara.  Michelle Phan EM Lash Gallery dramatic volume mascara in brown is probably the product I would be most inclined to try.  
  • If I wanted to make my eyes look bigger and more awake I would use a nude or white coloured eyeliner on my lower lash line.  I would use a dark brown eye shadow like MAC Mystery on a fine tipped eyeliner brush and line under my lower lash line with a fine line working from the outer corner inward in order to achieve a thicker/darker line along the outer corner.  
  • As for eyelids I would probably just even out the colour rather than trying to add a whole bunch of colour.  Lancome Aquatique eye shadow base can be worn alone and would give you the effect I am trying to describe.  Apply sparingly.  I may be inclined to use a bit of the dark brown shadow on the outer corners of the eye lids.  Instead of adding a bunch of colour to you eye lids I would be inclined to add colour to your cheeks to shift more of the focus to your cheeks - I think a bit of blush would be very pretty on you.  MAC Tenderling, Rosy Outlook, Cubic, and Blush Baby are among my favourite pressed powder blushes and I love using an angled brush to apply blush.  A duo fibre brush is good for blending blush.
  • After blush I would apply a loose translucent finishing powder.  
  • I would be inclined to try out highlighting cheek bones to make the blush and your cheeks really pop.  I find applying a powdered highlighter over finishing powder gives it the most noticeable effect.
  • Lastly I would use a fairly neutral or clear lip product.  Possibly something like a pale gloss or MAC Lipstick in Cremecup.  

You may not want to try all of these suggestions at once and not all of them may end up working for you.  As I said before this is what I would do to experiment.  Let me know your thoughts?  Best of luck :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back