One Thing That Really Bothered Me

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have since unsubscribed from Ipsy for several reasons. I had first joined at the start of 2014 and took a small break. When I returned I was appalled. When I originally subscribed, the forum was to talk about so much. You could say, "I really loved my eye shadow this month but the lipgloss felt cheap and sticky." Now though if you say anything negative at all, you are met with so many red hearts and offended people basically telling you to shut up and be grateful. It just wasn't a nice community. It's okay to say you don't like a product and to give valid reasons. It's okay to share your opinion if you're disappointed about a certain item of monthly bag in general. The community just felt really harsh and it bothered me. I remember one month I got the BAB mascara that stunk like rotten roadkill. It actually did smell like when you run over a skunk in your car. A lot of us emailed Ipsy and we got a response saying they'd replace the item. Some girls recieved as replacement a mini mascara and a full sized lipgloss while others just recieved the mini mascara. I wrote on the forum that I didn't think that was right and the replacement should have been equal. I got so many red hearts and people telling me to stop complaining and be grateful. Does this attitude bother anyone else? The community has started to feel really hostile and not like when I originally joined at all :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Also as I read in another topic post, the fact that people mark as span or Ipsy delets comments that say anything negative. It really doesn't reflect well. 

I agree with people getting red hearted and having their comments deleted.   It makes the company seem really sketchy. 

I have had a comment deleted from Ipsy.  But these fan girls are ridiculous.  I'm of the mind that if you don't like something then you are free to complain about it.  Again it comes back to well you should be grateful.  Right but what bothers me is that they don't get the concept that you are PAYING for it.  It's not like you are getting the products for free.  I had made a similar comment on boxycharm in response to some girl complaining about others.  I started out saying that I love Boxycharm but that others are free to say what they want since they pay for it.  Her response again was to be grateful.  ugh Finally I brought up freedom of speech.  LOL  Well it's true...people can say what they want.  Any how rant over.  I just get annoyed by people who try to control comments. (especially since a lot seem to come from people who probably have their subs paid for by their parents.)

I just get annoyed by people who try to control comments. (especially since a lot seem to come from people who probably have their subs paid for by their parents.)
And that's the real issue- most of the Ipster fangirls are teens or college kids whose parents pay for everything.  Saying you don't like Ipsy is like saying you don't like ice cream, kittens and Taylor Swift. 

And that's the real issue- most of the Ipster fangirls are teens or college kids whose parents pay for everything.  Saying you don't like Ipsy is like saying you don't like ice cream, kittens and Taylor Swift. 
Exactly!! I first joined in February of 2014. And quit after June of 2014 only to try it again this past month and have to quit again. When I first joined, the Ipsy forum was great. People would share recipes, swap Instagrams, talk about their weekends. It was like a genuine forum to meet these other awesome women. And then I think an influx of teens came in. Now if you speak of anything that's not Ipsy Ipsy Ipsy!!! expect for your comment to be deleted. If you have constructive criticism, expect to be screamed at for daring to do so. It's insane and totally different from what it was a long time ago. I think Ipsy has become the Sub Service for teens. I'm in my 20s and while products from Ipsy are fine, the attitudes of those teenieboppers just really bug me. 

Im actually new to ipsy, haven't gotten a bag yet.. but ive noticed this?
someone commented saying how they didn't like none of there items.
Everyone started commenting telling her shes wasting good product then and to cancel and some even corrected her grammer? Just dont know why people bother if there going to be so rude. Wasn't impressed

Also as I read in another topic post, the fact that people mark as span or Ipsy delets comments that say anything negative. It really doesn't reflect well. 
I always tell the truth in a mild way. And I believe the true review of a product will be helpful to others. I used to blog a review about Ovonni brushes ( I'd bought them on ebay), I wrote my objective thought about how I feel of this brush set,including something not good of cause. They found my blog and reblog it ! Actually, I just want to give advice. 

I haven't sub'd to ipsy in over 7 months now but I remember posting constructive criticism on the ipsy boards and getting downrated.  I stopped doing that, and then when I tried to be helpful to someone who hated their bag so much, by offering different uses or something, I noticed all of the downrating on both of our posts.   Then I would post about the downrating, saying no one is being offensive or rude, how about allowing people to speak their mind - and then the "grateful" comments started.

Why should I be grateful for a service I paid for?  lol  ipsy isn't giving their items to me for free and some of the products really needed to be vented thru quality control. 

I never understood the grateful comments.  Yes it is only a 10.00 bag, but you should get what a service promises to deliver. 

The other thing that bothered me, but may have been fixed, was the point system. They expect you to save up 1000 points before they expire and the only thing in the shop for the longest time were nail stickers and 5 in 1 eye shadow. Recently they had a boat load of items from previous bags for 250-500 points a piece. This makes so much more sense. I hope they continue this. It would cut down on bag envy and website whining if everyone was able to buy a sample later down the road. 

The point system was a bit better but those lower "priced" items sold out almost immediately. I've also heard that some of the 1000 point items were not full size items. Why waste time saving up 1000s of points just for more samples. Overall not pleased with Ipsy and am glad I canceled. I think they'd be fine if it didn't seem so geared towards middle school and high school girls. I've seen YouTube unboxings with girls as young as nine and ten with Ipsy bags. 

I never paid much attention to the forums on the Ipsy site - the couple times I posted, I was ignored or "down-hearted".

That's when I found MUT; where I can post both negative and positive feedback and actually have a proper adult conversation with people :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
This very issue is what has brought me here. I just tried ipsy again after a long break and I was very unhappy with my bag. I went to their site to see if people had a similar reaction and noticed that any negative comments were getting red hearts.

I know I only pay $10 but I would rather not waste $10 on products I will not use. If they don't allow customers to give feedback I'm not sure how they hope to improve.

I think that the forums are really sketch. It's bs that people get attacked for just simply telling their opinions of the bag. I was also getting very annoyed by the fact that you have to be on a wait list and that they really push sharing things on Facebook. As for the points system, I'm very biased to birch box's amazing points system.

Back