Filling in the gaps: My Skincare Routine -- HELP!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]Hi guys,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]So I’m hoping you can help me fill in a few gaps in a new skin care regime I’m trying to implement:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]AM[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Wash/buff with Dermalogica Microexfoliant [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Shiseido Benefiance WrinkleResist24 Pure Retinol Express Smoothing Eye Masks (when needed)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Pat on SK-II Essence[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]iS Clinical Pro Heal Advance+ Vitamin C serum (should I switch to the highly recommended SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic?)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Moisturize with _____???? (was thinking maybe Emu Oil. Other suggestions are welcome!)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SPF: Nutra-Lift Maximum Sun Protection Photo Stable SPF 30 (for those unfamiliar, this includes a healthy dose of antioxidants as well as vitamins C & E)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]PM[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Wash with CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Pat on SK-II Essence[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Nighttime serum _____???? (looking for something packed with antioxidants… suggestions?)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Eye Cream _____???? (really torn here. Here are some options I’m tossing around: Dr. Alkaitis Organic Eye Cream, NeoStrata Skin Active Intensive Eye Therapy, Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum, CeraVe Eye Repair Cream)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Moisturize with CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I get microdermabrasion treatments every 8 weeks or so and I plan on using the Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel at home for a few days in between treatments. I also recently had my first chemical peel at a Dr. office and plan on sprinkling those treatments in 2-3 times a year (all very light peels).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I also have Retin-A (.05%) that I am going to start very slow with—2x week or so. I started with the .025% and did great with it so my Dermatologist suggested I bump it up. On days I use the Retin-A I will JUST wash with CeraVe and use the Retin-A in the PM.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Some background for reference: I’m 26 Caucasian female with a history of good skin care. I’m moderately fair and get slightly pink around the nose and mouth and would say my skin is a LITTLE BIT on the sensitive side, although it is definitely nothing extreme. I don’t struggle with acne at all but am trying to combat what seems like loss of volume (cheeks and tear troughs). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]So to sum it up, here are my questions for all you experts [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]J[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=10pt]-Should I incorporate more into my routine to help repair my skin barrier? At 26, I’m young and I feel that maintaining a healthy skin barrier now is essential to achieve long term anti-ageing benefits! I don’t want to stress out my skin barrier with the professional microderm treatments, RetinA, Vitamin C and sporadic Chemical Peels… however, I think the benefits of those treatments and products are very important as well. (Thoughts on any of the following options: Epionce Barrier Repair, Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair, Dermalogica Barrier Repair, Osmosis Calm Level 2 Vitamin A Serum, Osmosis Rescue Epidermal Repair Serum, Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Capsules Daily Youth Restoring Serum)[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=10pt]-Opinions on Emu Oil as an AM moisturizer[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=10pt]-Thoughts on iS Clinical Pro Heal Advance+ Vitamin C Serum. Should I convert to SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic (which I hear a lot about while lurking on the forums)? iS Pro Heal gets very low marks from Beautypedia. [/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=10pt]-Suggestions/recommendations for PM serum (looking to incorporate more antioxidants here. Osmosis Replenish Antioxidant Repair Serum, Skinactives 'Every Lipid Serum' with Argan Oil, or JUARA Turmeric Antioxidant Radiance Mask—which, I know isn’t a serum but it intrigued me as a source of those pesky antioxidants I’m on the hunt for…)[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=10pt]-Suggestions/recommendations for PM eye creams (Dr. Alkaitis Organic Eye Cream, NeoStrata Skin Active Intensive Eye Therapy, Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum, CeraVe Eye Repair Cream)[/SIZE]

Hi QuarterPounder,

It sounds as if you are really reaching for the heights with your new skin care regime.  Having just read an eye-opening book on skin care I can make some helpful suggestions.

First, your morning routine:

1. [SIZE=10pt]Wash/buff with Dermalogica Microexfoliant  - [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]QuarterPounder please do not exfoliate more than twice a week at the most! If you are using acids and exfoliants plus microdermabrasion it is no wonder your skin is becoming rather sensitive! I know you are wanting to look after your skin but be gentle on it. Let Mother Nature do what she needs to do, and that may include leaving a few dead skin cells on your skin as a protective barrier against pollution and UV rays.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2. [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Shiseido Benefiance WrinkleResist24 Pure Retinol Express Smoothing Eye Masks (when needed)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Please never use retinol products in the morning. They should be reserved for evenings only. Vitamin A can make your skin sun-sensitive.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3. Pat on SK-II Essence[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]iS Clinical Pro Heal Advance+ Vitamin C serum (should I switch to the highly recommended SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic?)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Using Vitamin C serums on your skin in the mornings is perfect! However, you can get exactly the same benefit from home-made vitamin C serums. There is a fantastic recipe in the book I was reading (It's called '"Beauty: the Ultimate Cosmetic makeover guide Book 1: Face & Skin" by elizabeth Reed") If I get time I will type out the recipe and post it here. You can make skin-tingling vitamin C serum for less than a tenth of the cost. And believe me, it works. My skin looks years younger.  Mix your vitamin C serum with B vitamins for extra effect.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4. Moisturize with _____???? (was thinking maybe Emu Oil. Other suggestions are welcome!) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I use cruelty-free moisturizers, which emu oil is *not.* As long as they provide some emollient properties and a barrier to stop moisture loss, they are doing a good job on your skin and you don't need to bother with expensive ones. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5. SPF: Nutra-Lift Maximum Sun Protection Photo Stable SPF 30 (for those unfamiliar, this includes a healthy dose of antioxidants as well as vitamins C & E)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]This is great. I live under a coating of sunscreen every day of my life and I have the unwrinkledskin to show for it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Now your evening routine:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1. Wash with CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Cleansing is essential of course. (Is it a cruelty-free cleanser?)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2. Pat on SK-II Essence [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Nighttime serum _____???? (looking for something packed with antioxidants… suggestions?)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Evening when retinol really comes into its own. Use a Vitamin A serum at nights; let it soak in as you sleep. Once again, you can make your own at home, and it's a lot cheaper plus you know exactly what's gone into it, and you can make it the right strength for your skin etc. There's a good recipe in the Beauty book. In fact the book gives you the low-down on the best essential skin care routine, night and morning. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3. Eye Cream _____???? (really torn here. Here are some options I’m tossing around: Dr. Alkaitis Organic Eye Cream, NeoStrata Skin Active Intensive Eye Therapy, Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum, CeraVe Eye Repair Cream)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I just use home made retinol serum all over my face at nights and when it's dry I cover my face with moisturizer. Vitamin A is *powerful* on the skin and it is perfect for the delicate skin around the eyes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4. Moisturize with CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]See above. Yes, always finish with a moisturizer. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I really recommend taking a look at that book, it says a lot more than I have said here! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

@@Artemisia -

Thank you so much for your reply!!!

You make some really great points that hadn't even occurred to me... i.e. using the retinol eye patches in the PM instead of AM, emu oil being non-cruelty free and also that I might be over doing it with the Dermalogica Microexfoliant since I'm already doing regular micros and peels in the Doctor's office. 

I definitely am going to check out Elizabeth Reed's book because I'm particularly interested in the serum recipe you mentioned. Does she include recipes for antioxidant led serums in addition to the Vitamin C serum you referenced? 

Latest posts

Back