What questions would you ask to get better box matches to profiles?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, reading through everyone's dismay with their poor profile matches, it occurs to me that some of this may be due to the weird questions they ask to personalize. What would you ask to make it better?

For example, the posts that got me think of this was us pale girls lamenting boxes sending us pale lippies. Wouldn't it make more sense to gear these questionnaires toward more realistic profile info to increase subscriber happiness, which would lead to more retention, more referrals, and likely more product purchases, since people like what they buy?
I'd like to see things like:

What is complexion 'temperature'?
Warm
Cool
Neutral
Don't know

When it comes to (insert makeup product like eyes or lips here) do you prefer:

Bright Jewel Tones
Pale Nude Neutrals
Warm Earthy Browns

I like it ALL

Eyeliners:

Black only, please

Brown only, please

I like ALL THE COLORS...

Do you like glittery products?

I could pass for a pop culture vampire in the sun and want to be reborn as a unicorn so BRING ON THE GLITTER!

Maybe a little..

NOPE, glitter is the herpes of craft supplies and makeup, keep it away from me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nudes & neutrals vs bright and headache inducing

Skincare / make-up / body care or a bit of everything

Colours you wouldn't be seen dead in...

Things you really, really don't want...like EVER (hair straightening kit...take note Beauteque as the last one is for you!).

The only thing that really bothers me is when profiles ask about complexion/hair and I put that I have very oily everything... and all I get in my boxes are face and hair oils, hair masks and conditioners, and moisturizers. Birchbox especially manages to include an oil in almost every single box I get. Putting oil on oil is no bueno.

To reiterrate my point- I got my Birchbox yesterday and received 2 moisturizers, an eye cream, and a cream eyeshadow. If you have oily skin why would they send me these items? Then they shouldn't even have a profile at all.

To reiterrate my point- I got my Birchbox yesterday and received 2 moisturizers, an eye cream, and a cream eyeshadow. If you have oily skin why would they send me these items? Then they shouldn't even have a profile at all.
 I agree. I got the blowout spray in both of my boxes last month..on profiles that BOTH say I always let my hair air dry. Uh... :huh:

ETA:

It's like they think I do that solely because I haven't found the right product, and with this magical potion, voila! I will suddenly be overcame by the desire to blowout my ultra fine and brittle hair that only looks as full and healthy as it does because it is curly, lol

NOPE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back