Need help! Over my patchy, dirty face...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am at my last straw...

I have never had a problem with how my make up sits on my face until recently. I came home one day from work with a patchy face where my make up clung to my forehead, cheeks and mouth. I have tried over 8 new foundations from Covergirl, Mac, Rimmel, Revlon Colorstay, Maybellene Fit Me Matte and over and over again it occurs.

I have combination skin, my t zone is oily and my cheeks are dry. I find that if i use to combination to oily make up it doesn't make my face look greasy. I have changed my primer twice to a matte one to see if that helped and it hasn't. I have tried a finishing powder, that hasn't helped. I have bought two different setting sprays , that hasnt helped. I cleanse my face every night , i moisturise. 

I literally don't know what to do anymore! Its embarrassing! My face looks, patchy and dirty within an hour of applying anything!

Im so over it and Im seeking some advice from anyone please!!!!

Hi Welcome to MUT! Sorry to hear that you are having difficult time finding the right foundation for you. Makeup troubles can be so frustrating. I think everyone can relate to having struggles with finding the right foundation combo. Have you tried applying the makeup without primers? I've found that with some primers the foundation just sits on top of the skin and never really become one with the skin causing the foundation to separate almost instantly and accent the pores/lines etc. It's really tricky to find the right primer/foundation/moisturizer combo. Some moisturizers also cause the foundation to just sit on top of the skin and after a while it will separate and become obvious. I think most foundations do separate eventually and require powder etc to touch-up later in the day. Do you use an exfoliator? Exfoliating the skin is very important to get rid of the dead skin cells allowing the foundation to go on more smooth and for your moisturizer to work more effectively. How do you apply the foundation? Brush etc? Sometimes applying the foundation with fingers helps to "warm up" the foundation allowing for a better application. Another trick is to use a blender (like the Beautyblender) with a little bit of water. (make the blender just damp and apply the foundation). Setting the foundation with powder helps it last longer. "Invisible" powders are typically the best for setting a foundation because they don't alter the shade. Not sure what setting powders you've tried but NYX has a finishing powder that is called HD finishing powder that is great. The same line foundations are great too. Do you use foundation powders? Foundation powders are great for full coverage and without the hassle of using a liquid foundation. They do require touch ups during the day but many times the separation is not as obvious and is easier to keep looking fresh. The best way to apply powder foundations is with a big brush so that you can control the coverage. For touch ups you can use the applicator that comes with the powder. MAC studiofix is the most classic one. You mentioned you've tried MAC foundations so not sure if you've tried their powder foundations. Hope this helps and hope others have suggestions for you too.

@@alrobbo111 So sorry to hear about that! I have combination skin as well and struggle with looking shiny throughout the day. Have you ever heard of Albolene? It's actually a makeup remover that doesn't require soap and water, so the moisture stays inside of your skin and you experience less dryness. It also gives you a nice glow. It might be something to try? Here's a quick link if you're interested: http://www.albolene.com/beauty-tips-techniques/ Hope this helps!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@Reija Thank you for taking the time to reply to me! Some of the options and ideas you have mentioned I haven't tried for example using my beauty blender to apply the foundation and also trying not to use a primer! I will give these a go and fingers crossed something good comes out of it! Really appreciate the reply! Thank you thank you !

I have the same skin type. I use estee lauder double wear and mist it lightly with evian water spray to help the dry patches. No primer underneath just massage in my moisturizer really well before foundation. I think you can get a pretty generous sample at the counter to try it out before you buy. Make sure to stipple this foundation on in small sections at a time. it sets too fast for finger or sponge application in my opinion.

Hey I'm so sorry to hear about this. From my personal experience, the best foundation, that'll hide the patches, no matter how bad they are, is l'oreal paris infallible pro matte foundation.

Keep in mind, that when you go to make the purchase, when choosing the skin tone, take 1 level lighter than your skin color. And please full coverage.

But before you apply the foundation, please apply Benefit Primer, then apply the foundation stated above. 

Also, wash your face (oily area) regularly with oil free acne wash Neutrogena. But whatever you do, DO NOT apply the oil wash on your cheeks because it will dry up your skin even more.

Once that's done, apply face moisturizer, which suits your skin of course!

I hope I helped, because this helped me a lot and I'm pretty much sure it'll help you too. Please let me know how it goes. Best of luck!

P.S: I would highly suggest you to also try Spotner for patches, ducray keracnylpp for pimples and papulex moussant for oily skin areas. These ointments are easily available at the pharmacies.

Last edited by a moderator:
@alrobbo111  I also agree with Kendra about Albolene and how excellent the product is. I use it as a moisturizer and to remove my make up after a long days work. I never have to apply soap or even water, which is amazing!  It will definitely help with the patchiness.  Albolene is having a super awesome Makeup Artist Contest where you can post and win lots of Albolene products AND get some fame for your social media pages that you had the best make up of the bunch! It's really different and fun if you already like their products!  check them out Albolene's makeup artist corner for more details.

Back