My Under Eyes Always Looks So Bad!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So whenever I use concealer under my eyes to conceal and highlight, I always set it with a powder. I've always done this and it always just looks awful. Under my eyes looks nice and youthful before I put the powder on, and then when I add the powder, it clings to every microscopic dry patch and just makes me look a lot older and dried out.

I have tried to skip the setting powder and go without, but it creases like crazy and obviously doesn't last as long because it's not set. Does anybody else have this problem? I use liquid concealers, always have. Should I try a cream concealer? I just have no idea what to do. My makeup always looks great except for under my eyes.

Any advice would be appreciated. So happy to be a new member of your community! ♥

Welcome @! I would try a cream concealer. Some concealers don't work as well as others around the eye area. What brands have you tried? I really like Bobbi Brown concealer, Laura Mercier is great too and so are MAC and Inglot.

Hi @! I have always had really dry under eyes. Honestly, my biggest helper has been my eye cream. I use a super moisturizing eye cream at night and then an all natural coffee bean eye cream in the morning. If your eye cream has any anti-aging elements to it, that could be drying out your under eye area. 

Next, I have specifically looked for hydrating or serum concealers, and blend it out with a damp beauty sponge. That helps it to look more natural and not cake up on me anywhere. Then, I make sure to set it with both a yellow banana powder, and a brightening powder together, using a setting brush, and dabbing (not sweeping or rubbing!) the powder on, with a very thin veil of powder remaining. You could also trying baking the under eye area with a quality translucent powder. Some people say that adding more powder will only dry you out more, but I know a lot of artists, including myself, that have found the opposite to be true. Since the heat of your skin is literally "cooking or baking" the powder, then you brush all of it away, you are left with a really smooth under eye base.

These are the products I use, and I have finally got my undereye area looking flawless!

Eye Creams:

Origins Eye Doctor Moisturizing Eye Cream

100% Pure Coffee Bean Eye Cream

Concealers:

Stila Aqua Glow Serum Concealer (This is water based, with some good-for-you ingredients too)

TheBalm Cosmetics TimeBalm Concealer (This does have some anti-aging elements to it, but is very thin and a little goes a loooooong way. It also blends out easily and ends up looking flawless)

It Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye Concealer

Powders (for a brightening effect): Dip brush in both powders...

Anastasia Contouring Powder in 'Banana'

Mac Pro Shaping Powder in 'Emphasize'

Powders (for baking):

RCMA No Color Loose Powder

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

You could also try using a hydrating facial mist afterward to set your makeup and get rid of any residual powdery look to the skin, giving it a more natural look.

Great advice @! I have the same issue and it's always great to hear how makeup artists handle these kind of skin concerns. I have to say I LOVE the RCMA no color loose powder. I use it all over my face and really sets well doesn't cause my makeup to appear dry and cakey, even under my eyes. 

Thanks for noting which concealers are water based, I have been looking for a new one to use with a water based foundation by Tarte I am now trying. 

@@LadyGordon Are you talking about the new Rain Forest Under The Sea Water Foundation?! Bc I JUST ordered it over the 4th of July weekend sale!! I am soooo excited to try it! Haha and actually, I have also heard that their Aquacealer, in that same line, is a really good concealer for my dry skin ladies! I've been hearing a lot of buzz about it in the MUA comminity!! Can't wait to try that too!

Try yves saint laurent "touch eclat", it does wonders.

I have tried everything on my clients, works well for all ages.

Back