Is urban decay overrated and is too faced better?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lately I have asked myself this question , I have been buying my eye shadows from Urban Decay for a good year now and l love them but I have other shadows such as the Too Faced Chocolate Bar that I love more because I find the shadows from Urban Decay sometimes have a lot of fall out and they're not as easy to blend as others yet they are more expensive. I think l might stop buying them for the moment and move on to other brands to broaden my range.

I would love to know what you think about Urban Decay and Too Faced and do you agree or disagree? If you would like to have a look at my first impressions , I have a blog link below :)

(Link removed) 13318804_10156929769945237_374660756_n.jpg

13266081_167350877000782_90012239842510070_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to MUT! I've found some fall out with UD eye shadows also. I've used Too faced shadows before and like them. I didn't get the peach palette though. By the time I really wanted it, it was sold out everywhere. My latest favorites has been Anastasia of Beverly Hills eyeshadows. I have the Modern Renaissance palette and love it. The shadows are so easy to blend and no fall out.

I'am not a big fan of Too faced although they have pretty packaging and clever names for their products the makeup is not quality and I have bought everything from their lipgloss to lip plumpers and mascaras and I always am dissapointed with it.I dont buy it anymore because I know its overpriced and not worth the let down.

I like Urban Decays setting sprays and I have an eyeshadow palette and eyeshadow primer of theirs and I have always liked their products its quality and lasts long I never had any issues with UD.

Brands are usually hit and miss. You can't really lump their products into disliking or liking them based on the products you've tried. Both brands have amazing products and products that aren't that good, and are constantly trying to come out with better products. A lot of times, brands use different labs to come out with a new product and will have them manufacture and release the products, based on word of mouth from the other brands they know, who have used them before. So, not all products end up being the same quality sometimes. 

A prime example of this was the recent eye shadow palette release from Becca Cosmetics, a collab they did with Jaclyn Hill. They used a new lab that came very highly recommended from other makeup brands and sources, and the eye palette came out inconsistent. Some of them were perfect and everyone loved them. Then again, some of the people that got the palette found the eye shadows to be patchy and just not a good quality. So, Becca and Jaclyn agreed to recall the palettes, since she has the standards to not put her label on anything that isn't of the best quality. And that was just some of the eye shadow palettes that were released, not all. So, you can understand how some brands might have issues with their formula or the lab they use. That's not always the case of course, but it's just one of the many reasons it happens.

Like I said, Too Faced and Urban Decay both have good products to their name, like the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette, Chocolate Soleil Bronzer, Shadow Insurance and their Hangover Primer, to name a few. Urban Decay hit the mark with their setting sprays, Primer Potion, eye shadow singles and a lot of their palettes. Too Faced doesn't carry eye shadow singles, and a lot of the Urban Decay products, while of a good quality, aren't as well known as the Too Faced products. All in all, you can't really compare an entire brand to another. It's better to compare product to product. They both have their hits and misses, as every brand does! 

Lol I think it depends on who you ask or your own experience. Imo UD hands down is the most overrated brand with rather sub par products across the board. Their primer potion is basic and no different than the one from Milani. Their liquid liner burned my eyes. Their eyeshadows from their basic palette to singles have much fallout and fade throughput the day even with a primer. I want to like them bc they offer so much. I have tried them since 2000. Everything I have got from is either key or I have literally tossed after a short period of time. Sorry about it.

But is Too Faced better? To me, yes. Anyone is better than UD in my mind. But I have only tried a powder and bronzer from TF!

Yes. I also don't find UD that good. I have the 3 Naked palettes because I gave into the hype. Instead I reach for my 2 Too Faced Chocolate Bars much more. But my Lorac Pro is my absolute favorite!!

My lifetime favorite palette is 2 faced chocolate bars, and none high end product can replace it..So yeah, I can agree that the Urban Decay and many high end brands are completely overrated.

I used to think that UD shadows were super high quality, but they were also the first higher-end shadows I purchased. Now I reach for my UD palettes less and less, as I find many other brands have smoother, more blendable shadows. I'm not sure if other brands have just surpassed them in quality or if it was all hype to begin with. I'd buy an ABH or Lorac palette before I would buy another UD palette.

On the other hand, I really like the Vice lipsticks! They're super comfortable and have tons of color options. Plus they're practically the same price as a MAC lipstick. I've never bought a Too Faced lip product before, though, so I guess I can't compare them!

I've never tried Urban Decay, I've always wanted to. I loved Lorac's palettes until I decided all the neutrals have a kind of orange-y cast to them, but maybe it's just me? I love my Too Faced palette I got in PopSugar a long time ago, I LOVE that palette, use it all the time. The colors are gorgeous, last all day and blend very easily. FFF just had a Pure Cosmetics neutral palette in their last box and the colors are beautiful!! People say it's a dupe for UD naked palette, but I don't know. 

Latest posts

Back