FOUNDATION...HELP!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to makeuptalk and I don't really know what I'm doing but, here it goes.

What's a good foundation and concealer that will make me feel like I'm not even wearing foundation/concealer? Like, one that is light but also covers up my mild acne and redness entirely? One that will stay matte all through the day even if I go swimming or to Warped Tour (an all day outdoor concert)! I've tried so many foundations that I'm at my wits end.

What would be the best primer and moisturizer to use with said foundation?

So far, I actually liked Tarte's foundation. The only thing is, I felt really oily/shiny after wearing it for a couple of hours.

Hi! Welcome to MUT! Finding the right foundation can be really difficult. Having a good moisturizer as a base is important too and helps the foundation to go on better and last longer. I really like Estee Lauder Doublewear for coverage and it lasts all day. Lancome Powder foundation is great for during the day touch ups to carry around. It has good coverage. You can also use it as a setting powder by applying with a powder brush to help your foundation to last longer. 

Hi! I'm new to makeuptalk and I don't really know what I'm doing but, here it goes.

What's a good foundation and concealer that will make me feel like I'm not even wearing foundation/concealer? Like, one that is light but also covers up my mild acne and redness entirely? One that will stay matte all through the day even if I go swimming or to Warped Tour (an all day outdoor concert)! I've tried so many foundations that I'm at my wits end.

What would be the best primer and moisturizer to use with said foundation?

So far, I actually liked Tarte's foundation. The only thing is, I felt really oily/shiny after wearing it for a couple of hours.
Hi @@papichurro, welcome to MuT. For starters... All Make-up is meant to be touched up, no matter brand you choose. @@Reija has given you some great examples.

But the most important thing is your application technique, which includes the choice of tools you'll use like brushes, airbrush, palette knife, spatula, sponges and how you'll use them on whether or not how thick or thinly veiled you want your foundation to be. For example, if you use a liquid, you can apply a thick or thin coat, same goes for a creme based  foundation.  No matter what brand you use, you still need to set it and touch it up after a few hours.

Again, brand doesn't matter, but higher-end brands tend to stand up better to the rigors of the environment, feel better on the skin, and they have a higher pigment content than their low quality counterparts.

Also, the higher the pigment content in a foundation is, the less you'll need for coverage.

As for primers and moisturizers, I recommend booking a consultation at a counter to determine your skins' pH, which will also help in determining the type of foundation you'll need, for example oil-free, water based, etc.

HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to MakeupTalk @@papichurro!

Yes agreeing with @@Reija with the Estee Lauder Double Wear Liquid Foundation, it is great! I use it every day and people don't even notice I am wearing it. The way for it to feel super lightweight and look just like you have great skin is to use is sparingly.
I first prep my skin with a heavy layer of Clinique Pep Start Hydroblur moisturizer, then dot the foundation onto my face and blend with a damp Beauty Blender. After I have a nice sheer layer over my skin I have found that this foundation works great as a liquid concealer, so I conceal any remanding blemishes that the sheer layer of foundation couldn't cover.

Using something like Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray really helps too!
Good luck! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Everyone has give grate advice. Just add to what others have already said, I'd be sure to understand if your makeup is water or silicone based, and then pair a primer with that.

My daily makeup changes, but often I will use Dermablend Smooth Liquid Camo, which is a full coverage makeup but I use it very sparingly and with a wet beauty blender. This tends to allow me to put on a thin layer, but still covers up my redness and scarring from acne. I pair that with Laura Mercier hydrating foundation primer. And I use RCMA powder as it has no tint, I use this with whatever foundation that I use. 

I also have used Hourglass Illusion Hyaluronic Skin Tint with the same primer, all are water based. For this I use a makeup brush, gives better coverage than a sponge.

When I want a bit less coverage, I use Estee Lauder Double Wear Light, and pair it with Tarte Clean Slate Poreless 12 hour perfecting primer, both silicone.

I also love Tarte Amazonian Clay, this makeup lasts me all day, but still have to blot and add additional powder. 

I have dry skin with oily Tzone in summer (the rest of the year seems to not be an issue), so with all of them I carry blotting papers and loose RCMA powder I put in a compact just for touch ups. I don't have to touch up with additional makeup however. 

For me its been an experiment in trial in error, much like what you sound like you've been through. I found my biggest mistake was that I was pairing the wrong type of primer with my makeup, once I got that right, everything went so much better. Good luck!

I think you should try just a tinted moisturizer or bb cream with a setting spray.

I like Urban Decay De Slick setting spray because it controls oil.

Back