Covering grays on dark hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For years I've gotten blonde-ish highlights anyway, but lately I can't seem to find anyone who does them well.

My natural hair color has turned out to be a lot darker than I seem to have realized (a very dark brown) and has reddish undertones. Lately my highlights have been turning out badly, turning orangey quickly or looking like there are big hunks of blonde. I'm ready to give up the highlights and go back to my natural color.

But then I discovered my first few gray hairs. Eeek! I know they're harder to hide on dark hair and I don't want to full on dye my hair all the time, do you think those demi-permanent rinses are a good choices?

I have a friend who colors hers with the semi-permanent to cover her greys and her hair is darker. I have blonde hair and have tried the semi-permanent hair colors and it always ended up in a disaster and I had to have it fixed in a salon. A blonde is really tricky and if you have a lot of blonde highlights it might be tricky for the semi-permanent stuff to cover them if you wanting to go dark with one color. It might be worth it to go dark and have a salon person do it and then maintain it with the drugstore dyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I was planning on just letting the highlights grow out and slowly be cut until my hair is natural. I have short bobbed hair so I'm hoping this would only take a few regular hair cuts. The rest would just be maintenance to cover grays.

I can't use box dye, my hair gets an orangey red cast if I do at home stuff.

I think the semi permanent stuff would then work for covering greys. It works for my friend. It's worth the try at least. Sally's beauty might have a grey coloring specialty dye. They have a lot if products that work really well and are priced way less.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back