Underwater Foundation technique

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is this new technique called Underwater Foundation that's been going around YouTube. It's supposed to give you an amazing flawless finish. I decided to try it to see if it really works.

(Link removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a thing? I got intrigued by the title, but I see it's junk :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Yeah it's a thing, (a trend). 

I looked at some of these videos on YouTube at random, and my thoughts on their "fantastic" results is that their "pre-water foundation dip" is too powdery and cakey. The face dipping just dissolves the excess powder.

Another way to achieve this same flawless look is just to use a damp Beauty Blender sponge to apply your foundation.

Another trick that we MuA's have used on set for decades to reduce an overly powdery look, is to use a spray can of water like Evian and mist your face. A regular spray bottle of water won't work as well as the small droplets of water are too big and might disturb the colours of your look, for example lipgloss or under eye liners and mascaras. You can fix it, but then now you're adding more steps to fix your make-up to achieve that flawless look.

So yeah this is just a trend that adds an unnecessary messy step to your make-up routine.

To be fair though, these kids on YouTube are figuring things out and experimenting, for example, their foundation is not blended, too thick, too powdery... Not done correctly, so they think they are being clever by adding the water dipping trick to fix the look. But in the end this trend will prove ultimately a hassle and not very practical. 

Years and years ago I was taught "Do it right the first time". If not, you won't be around for the second time around. Now I take this philosophy one step further by: "Take the fewest amount of steps to achieve the best flawless look".

Back