What is happening here? Terminology help please.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to here so apologies if I'm not posting in the correct place.

I would like some help/advice to understand what is actually happening with my primer & foundation combination. Its not sitting correctly but there are so many 'terms' within the make-up world, I don't know what this is called....therefore, I don't know how to start fixing it.  You can see from the pictures, whatever the problem is, happens across all areas of my face...so its not only on the oily or dry areas etc.
What is this? And does anybody know why its happening? Thank you!!

I have combination skin (Oily forehead, slightly less oily nose, visible pores, normal cheeks & dry chin). 
I am using Too Faced Hangover RX primer with Bare Minerals SPF15 Foundation in Fairly Light. 

This has happened with other foundations too...but not all of them....I'm confused :-( 

issue_1.JPG

issue_2.JPG

issue_3.JPG

Hi! Welcome to MUT! From the pictures it looks like the foundation is separating. There are many reason that can cause this. One is the primer and the foundation not being compatible. If the primer is silicone based and the foundation isn't, it can cause problems. Have you tried applying the foundation without the primer? and maybe use a setting spray instead. Have you tried different primers? Also your moisturizer could be causing this. If you use a moisturizer that has silicone just like the primer and the foundation doesn't, it can cause problems. It's tricky to find the right moisturizer, primer, foundation combo. Smashbox has a primer water/setting spray that is water based not silicone based and that might work better with the Bareminerals foundation.

Thank you so much for your response!! 

I did wonder if it was something like that. 

I have read that my Primer is water based....and the Bare Minerals is powder based so the ingredients list doesnt give anything such as dimethicone etc...but its high in Bismuth Oxychloride....maybe that doesnt work well with water based products. I will try it with no primer and with a silicone based one to see how i get on. 

Although am I right in thinking that we should ideally wear a primer as its a barrier between the skin and the makeup?

Although am I right in thinking that we should ideally wear a primer as its a barrier between the skin and the makeup?
Yes it's like a barrier that helps the makeup to last longer and will smooth the skin, covering pores etc. I personally don't bother using primers on a day to day basis because it's too much work and I like to finish of the foundation directly on the skin better than on top of a primer. On some days I do use a primer if It's a special occasion or an event where I need my makeup to last. I like setting sprays more than primers because I found them to be less hassle and the end result is more natural which is what I like. Makeup is a really personal thing though and some people prefer primers etc more so it's just a matter of finding a routine that works for you. Have you tried the Bareminerals primers?  Many times the primers and foundations within a line are made to work better together. For example I love the Laura Mercier primer and tinted moisturizer together more than I like them separate or mixed with other products. 

Hello,
Ive seen this happen sometimes in a variety of primer / foundation mis-matches.  
Even with primers that are formulated to work with their own brand of foundation.  
From my experience Ive just learned by experience which primers and foundations work and which primers and foundations deserve to go in the bin.  And I never stop learning.
Interesting enough, some of the most inexpensive primers work really well. 
I'm always trying new things and rummaging through bargain bins to find treasures.  It's all about trial and error.
Good luck on your journey. 
Wishing you a beautiful day.

Back