2018 I Can Do It!!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been depressed for a while, but after a wonderful night of sleep, I am energized and convicted this morning that I WILL do a successful beauty no buy/project use it up in 2018, and I WILL pay off one credit card/debt each month in 2018, in full! And I WILL enjoy the process! To get ready, between now and midnight on New Year's, I WILL prepare by going through my beauty stash, organizing and taking inventory, and listing my debts. Since these are daunting tasks, I will work on each just a little each day. I can do it! I have faith! 

I'm still excited about my project. It is giving me something to look forward to for that sad time when all the holiday lights will be down and the fun will be over. I've been doing many things to prepare. I've gone through my finances, listing my debts. I've organized all my cosmetics. I bought some new blank journals. I'm still actively buying (Christmas presents for family, and a little Korean skin care haul for me-The Creme Shop), but I have also started using up a few little scraps (a full sized shower gel, face cleanser, and shampoo that only have a bit left in them, and a few tiny skin care foil samples), and made one little extra debt payment, just to get going, and it's been a good feeling. Two weeks until New Year and I might still treat myself to some little things, since not officially on the program yet, but the preparation phase is going very well. 

I think I'll join you @@EdithS2!

I've recently done a full inventory and I just do not need anything new right now (or probably all of 2018). I know I'm getting a few things for Christmas too.

I'm planning to drop some of my subs as well, but I'm giving myself until the end of the year to decide which ones.

I think I'll join you ladies as well. I'm reading the book Simplified life right now by Emily Ley and I'm inspired to simplify my life and the items I have as well as save money. I have way too much makeup and beauty products and it's overwhelming to look at. I really need to get a handle on this and also cut back subs. I'm also giving until the end of the year to figure out what subs I'm keeping. Right now I'm thinking of only keeping Birchbox because there are some hair care products I order from there and like to use the points for savings money. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Christmas Day

Still so excited for my no buy/use it up project. One issue I have is that I just don't use my cosmetics! I buy them and hoard them in stacks of Glossyboxes, but at the same time I have the most low maintenance beauty routine ever - or no beauty routine - and do not wear makeup. I've been analyzing why I do not use my things. The reasons are:

• Laziness, lack of time, especially in the morning; 
  • Feeling products are too pretty and nice to use and I must save them up;
  • Feeling disappointed that product's don't work, but I don't stick with them long enough to see results (for skin care) or to learn to apply them well (for makeup);
  • Spending all my time looking for something new to buy, distracting me from what I have.
Having a goal to use all my products up will help with all of these behaviors. I've slowly started to use some little skin care sample packs and some perfumed shower gels. Lately I've been using Yves Rocher Clementine and Spices Shower Gel from the Holiday 2016 collection, which I purchased last year. I've really been enjoying the little things I have been using.

I'm having a wonderful Christmas now. I'll be sad when it's over, but I look forward to New Year's Eve, when I will have a cozy night at home, give myself a facial, and further plan my No Buy! I find that being on total No Buy is a sort of relief, and the break from shopping does alleviate a lot of stress for me, and I enjoy it. 

I have the same problem @@EdithS2! I buy more products than I use. For a while I did really good with not buying much but the ended up getting more boxes again and bought other things. I just keep everything in old Glossybox or Birchbox boxes. I did make a box with samples I wanted to get through so I'm making a little bit of progress but I forgot about the box recently. I need to get better at using them again.

New Years Eve - less than 24 hours until no buy begins!

I am so happy New Years Eve is here! A magical day of hope. I have been so looking forward to my new project. 

My plan of attack:

• I thought I would take the no buy one month at a time, and (I hope it's okay), start a new thread on this board for each month. 
  • Each month I will have a financial goal. I will start with a small goal the first month, and build each month that follows with a larger goal. In general, I will be implementing a Dave Ramsey Snowball type plan, starting with my smallest debt and working up. 
  • I will systematically use up products and collect empties, and thought I would post those at the end of each month on The Official Used It Up Thread. I plan to use up small things at first (travel size skin care, etc.), and each month will build on using things up, panning makeup, etc. 
My hopes:

• To free up money of course, to eliminate debts and find financial freedom. 
  • To get more enjoyment and use out of things I have.
  • To free up time and mental space in my life by eliminating shopping, so I that I can relax more and do a wider variety of things. 
I don't think of this as a deprivation, but as a relaxing time. I visualize it as similar to going to a wonderful spa or retreat for a fast which is relaxing and healing, strict but fun. I know I will feel FOMO and regret if I see some wonderful new item, gift with purchase, or special beauty box, but I feel the program will be very rewarding. All that it can do for me remains to be seen. I look forwarding to discovering these rewards! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish you all luck with this project! It is really inspiring and it is a good message to start the year. I think that everybody from time to time buys stuff that doesn't really need and at the end of the day doesn't even really use.

I love your plan @@EdithS2! Your are so inspiring! I'm looking forward to joining this as well. The other day I was going to buy something from Sephora but then stopped myself because I really didn't need it and I was getting prepared for this no buy. Cheers to everyone and Happy New Year!

Latest posts

Back