Over the counter shampoo or salon shampoo

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Ladies, I am currently using Pantene and I am neutral about it. A friend of mine told me I should be using salon shampoo, like RedKen, Joico and KMS, etc. because they're "better" for my hair.

What do you all think??!!

Well, right off the bat, I'm not at all impressed with Pantene. It's one of those items that always seems to get on those "Best of Beauty" lists, and I certainly disagree with its ranking. Others may disagree, but it just doesn't work for me.

IMO, salon shampoos and conditioners are almost always better than drugstore. However, I recently re-tried Herbal Essence products and find them to be of pretty good quality for low end hair care.

Go with the products YOU like. My current favorite shampoo is Suave Naturals in the strawberry scent. It's about as inexpensive as you can get.

I like Garnier Fructis. Their shampoos, conditioners, and hair masks are awesome.

Just as I am with makeup, I am also a product junkie when it comes to my hair! I am always trying different brands, drugstore or salon. My favorite drugstore shampoo/conditioner is L'Oreal VIVE Nutri-Force and my favorite salon shampoo/conditioner is JOICO Silk Result Soft & Silky.

Pantene is not good. It's PH is wrong for your hair and it builds up in wax. I personally like Biolage shampoo.

Joico is very nice too.

Try different ones. I switch it up.. I like tresseme and even herbal essances.

Agreed!! It's all trial & error, but I would definitly avoid Pantene... unless you have a good clarifying shampoo on hand. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think it can go either way. I've tried drugstore brands that aren't very good, but also some salon brands, too. Pantene totally breaks my scalp out though and I haven't heard good things about it. I'm really liking the biolage color-care shampoo and ultra-hydrating balm right now.

go with products that work. my hg shampoo is Paul Mitchell shampoo 2. ive been using it for years, and it works wonders for me. just try stuff out/read up on it or do what i did way back when, i asked for a shampoo that would work on my greasy scalp. and i got this suggestion for a product and ive been pretty happy since.

Thanks ladies for your opinion about Pantene.I am almost done with my bottles and I will definitely try other brands. Thank you.

I love these products too!Once, at my hairstylist's, I let myself be convinced into buying some fancy shampoo & conditioner set, and Garnier was BETTER. Buying at the salon imo doesn't always mean best,at all.

I use Thermasilk and I really like it. I HAVE to have lather when washing my hair-- like alot of it or I don't feel clean. I like when the shampoo gets all frothy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Biolage is one of my HG hair brands!!

Definitly an AWESOME shampoo... really cleans well!

I'm this way too... well it is true actually...the soap bubbles are what carry away the dirt & oil :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Pantene was really awful for my hair. My hair looked flat and lifeless when I used it. It also made look greasy.

Right now I am using Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo and I alternate with Herbal Essence.

I use LaCoupe's Perfect Curls products on my hair and I <3 them. It smells soooo good, makes my hair look and feel good and the price is right! :icon_chee

Don't know if its psychological issue. After reading all you ladies comments I feel like having dry scalp using Pantene shampoo. Maybe I should just toss it and get other brands. Thanks!

I use johnson's baby shampoo. I have a really sensative scalp lately and this is the only shampoo that doesn't make my scalp itch. for conditioner I use the suave conditioner for blonde hair. They both work really well and they are both really inexpensive.

Back