Acne Tips, Talk and more

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if there is already a thread on this, but i was wondering what the best products are.

I have been using proactiv for a few months but it stops working for me now and then. I am also wondering which cleansers work. My skin can be sensitive so a lot of the Clean & Clear type products irritate my skin

i can't get a prescription acne product yet because of my insurance changing but hopefully you gals have some good products :icon_bigg

I only find Proactiv Revitlaizing Toner is good for the skin . The rest of them containing BP are damaging and irritating the pimples. I used to have pimples, clogged pores and whitehead for more than 6 years. Now, I am using Netrogena Clearing Pore Night gel which contains 2 percent saliylic acid. It keeps me from poping up new acnes and fading the marks. Actually that products is kinda peeling thing. It greatly helps my face now. When I feel the area is gonna have pimples , I put the gel on and it stops growing.

For the cleanser, I use cetpahill daily cleanser in the morning and neotrogener clear pore cleanser at night.

This happens to me too: a product will work wonders but will suddenly stop working or worse, cause acne :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Try Neutrogena, it's worked for me before.

There is a lot you can do for your acne besides just using medications, things to actually prevent it rather than treat it -- I have a bunch of info in my notepad, just click the link in my signature or to the left!

To quickly answer your questions, the best over-the-counter treatment I've found is Neutrogenia On-The-Spot treatment. It contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, which is just as effective as the other 10% creams on the market but does not dry out your skin near as much. (The 10% always made my skin dry and peely, but I can use this 2.5% all over the acne-prone areas of my face as a preventative treatment and not have any dry skin!) I also wash and exfoliate with Cetaphil bar soap and a Buf Puf brand sponge as recommended by my dermatologist. I also use Stridex (2% salicylic acid) twice daily and Queen Helene's Mint Julep mask 1-2 times a week, but I'm not sure if either of those are making a huge difference -- I definitely noticed the biggest improvement when I added the Neutrogenia to my routine!

Good luck and I hope you find something that works!

For cleansers, i would recommend the Dove cleansing cloth for sensitive skin or Basis sensitive skin bar. my skin is super sensitive and oily and these two products really worked well for me. it didn't irritate my skin like alot of other cleansers did.

hello everyone. well, i'm really considering getting on the pill for various reasons and i wanted to know from those of you that are on it or have been on it.. how did the pill effect your breakouts if it did at all? i've heard alot of good feedback reguarding acne and the pill but, i've heard a few instances where it actually made people skin worse.

I can tell you from previous experience that when I was on the pill, my skin cleared up. I have been on Ortho tri-cylcen and estrostep and both worked well for me. You should go over your options with your gynecologist and decide what is best for you.

hey, well all of my experiences of the pill have been bad. the last one i took(don't remember the name),it was very low estrogen since i was breast feeding. it did make me break out which was odd since i have always had good skin. but it also caused other problems such as bad mood swings, and my legs got really sore so bad that i could hardly walk and i had all of these knots come up and the doctor said it was from the birth control. so now i'm on the iud which is much better.my periods are really light, but having them often which also could be from my body adjusting to it and since i just stopped breastfeeding my 2nd child. but my arms break out a little. i still like it better than the pill and the one i have(mirena) lasts for 5 yrs. unless you have it taken out sooner.

that's great, i wish it did that for me, but they're so many different kinds out there that people react different to. some people like me just can't take them. which i guess in a way it's good(more healthier)

i believe generally speaking its suppose to clear it up or not affect it. a few years ago my dermatologist suggested i go on the pill to cure my acne... i had a bad reaction to that particular pill (nasusea...etc) so i discontinued using it and didn't even bother looking for one thats better.

i don't remember what kind it was (very low estrogen)but it caused me to break out on my chin and arms until i stopped taking it. the iud i have has a little of the same hormone in it and it does it too just not as bad.

I'm on Ortho cyclen and it seems to keep my skin pretty good. I don't get any cystic pimples like my mom use to. I think acne runs in the family, unfortunately.

Two months ago my Dr. put me on Yasmin to regulate my menstrual cycles and my usual dry but crystal-clear skin is now discovering small-scale acne. And my mood swings are greater than before. :icon_roll Only onen more month to go, thankfully!!

hm, yasmin. i know it wasn't that. have you heare of the mirena iud? i use to have really bad mood swings and cramping . so bad i was on meds. but so much better now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_smil

heh, I'm only on BC for a short stint to regulate my cycles. They've been shortening and getting erratic so my gyn gave me three months worth to see if that'll straighten it out for awhile. My husband and I are trying to conceive. :icon_chee

my health teacher in junior high used to say he could always tell what kids were smoking,because the always had acne.:icon_eek:

Latest posts

Back