Grocery store oils for skin care?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lately I've been seeing Grapeseed and Almond oils in my grocery store, I've read they are great ingredients in skin care products. Would the grocery store stuff, with a label that says it's %100, be ok to use on the face and body? I've been using grocery store olive oil for a while now with no problems and it seems that buying the oils this way is MUCH cheaper!

Yes, it's O K! The cosmetics companies simply blend a concoction, with ADDITITIVES, slap on their label and sell the blend to you. By purchasing this way, you know that you have the pure item and it's much cheaper!:clap :clap

I think that it is a great idea. The grocery store has so many finds such as oils, baking soda and ACV(apple cider vinegar) at a reasonable price!

Somewhere on the net I read that castor oil should be cold-pressed, ie processed without high heat, which destroys some properties that could be the beneficial ones you're looking for. It also mentioned that cold-pressed (for castor oil) is only available in Health Food stores. For EVOO, they do sell the cold-pressed type in a regular grocery store. I'm not sure about any of the other oils though. Hopefully others here can shed light on specifics.

Kathy

I too have also heard about the cold pressed. I use evoo to take off my sunscreen before I cleanse and I always make sure it says cold pressed on the label. I get my evoo at the supermarket.

All my oils are from the grocery store except the Avocado & Apricot oils ( I had to get them at the HFS) I say go for it its the same thing.

Well, I have the cold pressed xtra virgin olive oil, I've been using that as both a makeup remover and a mask for a while and love it. I have heard grapeseed oil is full of antioxidants, the bottle at the grocery says %100 but it doesn't say cold-pressed anywhere on it. Almond oil is about $6.00 for a 13oz bottle- I've paid twice that for the same amount at a health food store for one that says it's for skin and hair care.

I guess I'll just buy the grapeseed oil- it can't hurt me. also, I remember also reading about Walnut oil for the skin- any one else heard of that one?

Non of mine say cold pressed but that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't. I use them anyway with the same benefits.

Back