Colors and makeup for those over 50

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My mother is 54 years old, no wrinkles, flawless skin. She's between an NC30 and NC37. She doesn't wear any foundation. I want to practice on her to help me build up my skills(plus we have two weddings to go to! LOL). I know that makeup artists say that women over 50 should stay away from shimmery shadows. The only neutrals I have are Shroom, Naked Lunch, Espresso, and Embark. I do plan on buying more neutrals. What is your advice on makeup for someone with this complexion? The blushes I own are Breezy and Coppertone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, would MAC's Bronze bronzer be too dark for her? I'm an NC45 so that is what I use.

Maybe stay with natural colors, I don't know if a 54 year old woman would like bronzer. I would definitely use the Coopertone blush. I am not familiar with MAC's e/s

Hope this helps

hmmmmmm. yea coppertone blush. i dont think you need to use ALL neutrals on here...depending on outfit color...ive been using purples on my mom shes 48 with a TINY bit of shimmer not everything with shimmer just one product with shimmer and she looks wonderful if i may say so my self. and weddings are special occasions so a little shimmer can be called for mind you this is comming from the girl whos father asks on a regular basis if i fell into a vat of glitter ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but if you play up the eyes and keep everything simple i think itd work

Hi BronxCutie,

Actually women 50+ can wear eyeshadows with some shimmer. So you've got more wiggle room :icon_bigg

Blush should be applied softly. If you want to use bronzer, just get one in line with her coloring (some bronzers are darker than others).

Working with neutrals is great. Mistakes don't show up as easily. :laughing:

Have fun. :smilehappyyes: Btw, I left you a private message on Specktra.net :icon_wink

:laughno: That's funny! I'm going to practice on her. I'd actually like to see her with some purple shades. Maybe I'll look into some matte shades and one purple shade that has a satin or veluxe pearl finish.

well, i'm not quite 50, but i'm close and i love the shimmers! just apply them with a light hand, or use one of those double-ended qtips (one end pointy, one end flat) and blend like crazy. you can even mute the tone by dusting with a neutral once the shimmer is applied. i wear shimmer everyday! it's so much fun and it makes me feel like a star! lmao

Latest posts

Back