MAC Studio Fix Shade Help? (PICS included)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for my ON AND ON AND ON.....just trying to explain it all - and yes I talk too much too.:whistling:

So I talked with MAC yesterday (online chat) about helping me with picking the right shade of Studio Fix Fluid foundation (thanks everyone for making me WANT/NEED to try this). I cannot make it to a counter, the nearest one is too far away. So I have to try online ordering.

Maybe someone here can help or let me know if what we came up with sounds right????? PLEASE and THANK YOU! I told the assistant my shades in Prescriptives and she deteremined what she thought would work.

In Spring/Summer/Fall I use:<O:p</O:p

Prescriptives Virtual Matte (I combine Y/O Fresh Bisque Lvl 3 AND Y/O Fresh Champagne – this seems to give a perfect color when I combine them).
In the winter I use (my skin is still oily but can handle the Flawless better in the winter???? Weird):
Prescriptives Flawless Skin (Ivory 05 Y/O – which is also pretty close to my skin tone or blends pretty well).
We determined I am probably closest to a NC25…..what do you guys think? (I thought at first I was NW...thought I had pink undertones????) Is anyone here good at shades with MAC? She told me that MAC’s NC are similar to Prescriptives Y/O. I have attached recent pictures with and without makeup.

<O:p</O:p

<O:p

I uploaded several pics, to maybe help in seeing my color/tone better....</O:p

WITH MAKEUP (obviously J). These are recent pictures, within the last couple months. I used a tissue over the flash to make the color more true and not washed out.

View attachment 18163 View attachment 18164 View attachment 18168

Mac Studio Fix Fluid in NC25 (not sure, but wondering if it looks too dark???? I'm not sure, but which the assistant matching what I gave her, this is what she came up with, maybe I should just trust her judgement?)

CLICK HERE FOR SHADES

WITH MAKEUP AGAIN BUT…..(I believe I did NOT use a tissue over the flash, therefore a bit washed out):

View attachment 18166 View attachment 18167

WITHOUT MAKEUP (around January 2006, to show old acne scars and oily skin, yuck):

<O:pView attachment 18169 View attachment 18170</O:p

Thanks for any assistance.

*******Oh and one more thing…..gosh I talk a lot…..if anyone is able to get a sample of the MAC NC25 in Studio Fix Fluid, I would pay you for it and for shipping. Does anyone have access to getting samples? I can’t because I’m too far away. Please PM me if you have access. I’m just nervous about ordering a foundation without trying it first.

Stupid thing. Why are my pics all over and not how they look when I insert them and preveiw the post? When I preview it, it looks right. Then I post and they are all over and stuff....ARGGGG!

Kelly I think NC25 would be too yellow for you - I've tried NC25 and NC15 and the NC20 is very yellow, I couldnt get a colour match :sadno:

If you email MAC they should send you a small sample of the NC15 and NC25 - they do here in the UK so I would imagine they would do in the US too!

Yea, see I'm torn. I thought either the NC20 or NW20....then she comes up with NC25???? I do notice though if I use colors with pinkish undertones it brings out too much pink in my skin....so maybe this is why the Y/O works better for me (to off set it a bit)?

Maybe I should ask for samples of NC20 & NW20 & NC25???? I will call them and ask them.

Yeah ask for those samples but I would also ask for a sample of NC15 just to be on the safe side. Just email them and explain that you don't have access to a MAC counter or store and that you don't know which shade would be right so you wondered if they could send you some samples of those shades and I'm sure they will do. They're usually small but enough to get two applications out! I have yellow undertones but I also have some neutral too and the NC25 just looked like I was jaundiced! Good luck!

I just looked at some ebay items of NW20 and NC20 and both look a little light. So maybe she is right with the NC25? I will call and see if they can send me a sample.

I just called customer service and nope they won't send me a sample, only if I go into a MAC store. Which I am way to far away from (and I told them that). DARN. So I'm stuck. Do I order and trust the assistant's color matching (compared to my Prescriptives shades)? Then if it doesn't work, I send it back, order another, send it back....and on and on until I find one that works?

Yeah it's hard to judge unless you actually try them, they're nothing like the swatches or what you see in the bottle. They're different on the skin. You should find a match though if you get some samples that's probably the only way to try them. I'm NC25 in MAC studio Fix and Tech and the NC20 is too dark for me, good luck with the samples though - let me know if they do send you some!

I'll try and get you some then from the UK, though they might take a couple of weeks to come through, that's if you want me to?

MAC are usually pretty good about returns though if it's not a good colour match but to be honest I wouldnt want to risk it money wise in case they don't let you return it.

I'll email MAC now and see if I can get some samples outta them!

Judging by the pics, I would say you're an NC but i'm no expert. I'm not sure about the number but 25 would probably work. I wear NC 42 in the select which I believe would be NC 30 in the Studio Fix because that's what Marisol got and we're close to the same shade in Select. I'm not close to a MAC either which sucks a big one so I feel for ya!

My cousin is pregnant and they were going to induce today but I haven't heard anything yet. They live in Dallas so we're going there this weekend and I want to run into a MAC while we're there. I can try to get a sample for you! :smilehappyyes:

Thank you so much both of you! If either of you are able to grab a sample or 2, PM me with what the shipping is and I will be happy to pay shipping. NC25 in Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 foundation (or just the SELECT....but I think then the shades run lighter in the SELECT)......man, it's so hard to not see them in person and try them out. If you're lucky enough to get a couple others around the same shade, so I can test them out, I would appreciate it.

What's the different in the Studio Fix and the SELECT....they look to be almost the same foundation....is the studio fix more for photos or a more flawless finish or ?????

And Lisa, wow I love babies, how fun...so snuggly, and then they grow up....just kidding.

You look like you would be about a NC 25 or so hun... But you might also want to get a sample of NC 30-35 bc the SFF foundations tend to run a little light.

You definitely have yellow undertones and not pink ones, so you want an NC foundation not an NW.

Oh thank you sooooo much Leila.....you definetly are the MAC God(dess)!

The shades looked a bit lighter when I say them in bottles on ebay too, so the color charts online are soooo hard to go by.

I never knew, I'm soooo bad with figuring my undertones. That makes sense in why the department store ladies always pick the Y/O colors on me. So I have yellow undertones.....huh, thanks again hun!

Ok so after all my messing around and checking them out, I found I'm better off with the SSF over the Select (because the SSF will control shine better, due to my oily skin).

I can't wait to try it, now I hope I can get the right color. I have a couple people sending me samples of the Select (becauset they don't have the SFF, but thought it might help me with my color selection)....and hopefully one of them are able to grab me a sample of the SFF - because it sounds like the SFF is my best bet.

So like Leila said, I'm probably the NC25 (maybe one shade up possibly 30-35.....so man I just want to go buy the whole store out, but my hubby wouldn't approve).

Thank you so much everyone........I think I'm in love with you all, you are always so helpful!

Hi Nessicle, i also reside in the UK. How exactly would i go about getting a foundation sample from MAC.

i would say try out an nc25 maybe a nc30. i find that the liquid foundations run darker than powder. so i'm an nc30 in SFF and nc35 in studio fix.

SFF is a medium to full coverage foundation and is oil free, while the select is medium

Hi there! Welcome to MuT!

I just called up the London Soho store and told them I couldnt get to a counter but that I really wanted to try the Face and Body foundation (this was quite a while ago) and they send me 4 samples - just really small ones but enough to try it. HTH!

Liz i find that the SFF shades run a lot darker too, I found the NC20 to be very yellow and the NC15 to be too pale, typical that I think I'm like NC18 or something lol!! Wish they did make that shade!

you can try to change the color or the foundation with a different color powder on top.

I know with me, I sometime have to mix/combine colors to get the right match. Like I love the Prescriptives Virtual Matte, but I have to combine 2 colors. Wonder if that's how the SFF will be too?

Can't wait to get some samples and try them out:satisfied:

I want to buy SFF too, and also some concealer, either the select cover up or studio finish concealer. I am in your predicament as well: I live no where near a MAC store so I have to purchase online. I bought studio fix foundation(powder kind) a long time ago when I lived near a MAC store.. It was an NC30 I believe. would it be the same color number for the concealer and SFF, or are they different:icon_scratch: ? please help. I dont want to waste my money on a product that does not match. thanks

Back