Proper Lighting for Makeup Application

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always been told it's best to apply your makeup in natural lighting, such as sunlight. While we get awesome sunlight throughout our house, I generally apply it in the bathroom, and we all know how deceptive bathroom lighting can be! Does anyone have suggestions on the best kind of bulbs or whatnot for applying makeup in bathrooms? We have the new GE Natural Light bulbs which are supposed to mimic daylight, but I haven't tried them in the bathroom yet... Anyway, I appreciate suggestions!!!

i have the crappiest lighting in my apt. and it doesnt help that in WA (like today) there is lots of over-cast. so i have to do it in the crappy bathroom lighting or in the worse living room lighting.

When I don't feel like standing while applying makeup, I come to my study, and I have a normal 60W light bulb in y lamp, and it actually gives better results that the normal light...

sorry hun! i know nothing about light bulbs. i generally i apply makeup by the window and pull my shades up to let as much light as possible.

well, i'm not sure how much good it does, but i installed one of those fixtures that holds 3 bulbs right over my bathroom mirror. i use 3 60 watt bulbs in it and i love the way my makeup turns out most days.

i have a huge window right next to my bed, and i just sit on my bed put out all my makeup on my bed and i do my makeup right in front of the natural light from my window!!! try setting up your stuff in front of a window, what you see is what you'll get when you go outside!!

In my first apartment we had a vanity mirror over our sink, and it had 3 vanity bulbs. I'd look great under the light, and then look weird when I wasn't in it. Same with another house I lived in: Both bathroom had vanity lights, and I looked different in each one. My husband only buys 60W or 100W bulbs, so there isn't much choice there... I reckon I'll go back to putting it on in front of the patio door... Although, if my FOTDs I did look okay, then maybe the bathroom isn't killing me totally *lol*

i have sucky lighting in my bathroom and no windows! so i just try the best i can. in sunlight you can see your flaws so much better.

It's not necessarily a problem as I think I've just mentally adjusted applying my makeup so it's not too dark or anything. Since I generally wear shades of brown for e/s, it's not a problem there. It's more for when I'm using a new foundation/powder combo that I worry. Although, I also need to remember makeup needs to "set" too. Like I said, I just need to start putting it on in front of the patio door again at the dining room table *lol*

Latest posts

Back