Vitamins that aid weight loss

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what are some vitamins(no diet pills, none of that) but healthy vitamins that can help with weight loss?

Maybe try the One-A-Day Weight Smart vitamins. I've never used them, but they are basically what you are asking for. I use one-a-day vitamins and I like them!

Originally Posted by _withoutYou what are some vitamins(no diet pills, none of that) but healthy vitamins that can help with weight loss?

Here's an article I found. It's not completely about vitamins but I hope it helps!

Natural Supplements and Products for Weight Loss

Hydroxycitric acid

Hydroxycitric acid is the extract of a fruit from the Garcinia cambogia tree that is native to India. It is an ingredient found in Indian curry dishes and is widely available in North America in commercial diet formulas.

Hydroxycitric acid blocks fat production by inhibiting an enzyme, ATP-citrate lyase, involved in the conversion of carbohydrates to fat. Hydroxycitrate acid suppresses the appetite by increasing the production of glycogen, which signals the brain to stop eating. It also enhances fat-burning by interfering with malonyl CoA, an enzyme involved in fat synthesis.

It is important to maintain a low-fat diet, drink sufficient water and reduce alcohol consumption when using hydroxycitric acid. Caution should be taken in people with diabetes, high blood pressure, pregnant or lactating women, and young children. Some practitioners suggest taking hydroxycitric acid with chromium to increase its efficacy.

Gugulipid (Commiphora mukul)

Gugulipid has been used for many centuries in Ayurveda, the traditional medical system of India, for lipid disorders and obesity. It has been found to be comparable to conventional lipid-lowering drugs in lowering LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and raises levels of good HDL cholesterol.

Gugulipid is believed to promote weight loss by stimulating the thyroid gland. The thyroid sets the metabolic rate of the body and results in the burning of fat. No adverse effects have been reported with the use of gugulipid, although a herbalist or naturopathic doctor should be consulted, especially if taking cholesterol-lowering drugs. A low fat diet should be maintained while taking gugulipid. Crude or purified gum gugul should be avoided, as side effects can include rash or diarrhea.

Chromium

Chromium is a mineral that helps to regulate blood sugar and insulin levels by making cells more sensitive to insulin, and decreasing cholesterol and triglyceride levels. It is estimated that up to 50% of Americans may not be getting adequate chromium in their diets to sustain healthy insulin activity. Supplementing with chromium appears to help decrease body weight yet increase lean body mass.

Essential Fatty Acids

Essential fatty acids are fats that are commonly deficient due to stress, pollution, aging, and poor diet. Signs of EFA deficiency include dry skin, hair and nails, arthritis, premenstrual syndrome, fatigue, poor immune function, inflammatory conditions, and mental and psychological disturbances. Omega 3 fatty acids are found in flaxseed oil and cold water fish oil. They can help control blood sugar levels by improving insulin sensitivity. In one research study, animals fed diets supplemented with omega 3's lost weight and did not become obese compared to animals fed diets rich in other oils.

Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is a type of Omega 6 found in evening primrose oil and borage seed oil. It activates brown fat, the type of fat in the body that speeds up fat metabolism and results in the burning of excess calories as heat. Some manufacturer's sell a combination of Omega 3's and Omega 6's. A ratio of 2-3:1, omega 3
redface.gif
mega 6 is often recommended. Look for bottled oil in the refrigerator of health food stores. Because they go rancid quickly, they must be refrigerated, should be used 4-6 weeks after opening, and should not be heated. EFA's can be easily added to salad dressings. Omega 3's are believed to be helpful in preventing cancer, however, people with existing hormone-dependant cancers such as breast cancer should consult a health practitioner before supplementing with EFA's.

Gymnema silvestre

A herb native to Africa and India, Gymnema silvestre may decrease the desire for sugar by blocking the taste of sweets and sugar absorption. People who have a sweet tooth can take some of this herb before a large meal to reduce appetite and sugar consumption. Caution should be taken in people with diabetes.

Fiber (psyllium, chitin, guar gum, glucomannan, pectin)

Soluble fiber absorbs water like a sponge, making stools soft and bulky. As a result, you feel full and are less likely to eat. Fiber improves bowel motility and stimulates bowel movements, so that food moves quickly through the intestines. It maximizes absorption of nutrients by slowing the rate of digestion, lowers cholesterol, and regulates blood sugar. Fiber should be introduced gradually into the diet or it may cause gas and bloating. Adequate water intake is essential, otherwise fiber may have an opposite, constipating effect. Dietary sources of soluble fiber include oatmeal, barley, psyllium, beans, apples, and pears.

5-HTP

5-HTP is made by the body from tryptophan, an essential amino acid that we get from eating protein. It is a precursor to serotonin, a neurotransmitter in the brain that has a major influence on appetite.

Serotonin helps you stop eating after consuming an adequate amount of food. Low serotonin levels stimulate appetite control centers in the brain, resulting in strong cravings for carbohydrates in particular.

In research studies, 5-HTP supplementation has been shown to promote weight loss by increasing satiety, leading to fewer calories being consumed at meals. Dr. Michael Murray, a naturopathic doctor, states that there is much evidence to suggest that low serotonin levels are a common cause of modern lifestyles, being related to depression, overweight, insomnia, headaches, and other disorders. Factors that interfere with serotonin metabolism are stress, insufficient vitamin B6 or magnesium, a high protein diet, and dieting.

Commercial 5-HTP is extracted from the seed of an African plant called Griffonia simplicifolia. It should only be recommended by a naturopathic doctor or other appropriately trained health practitioner. Side effects can include mild nausea. Caution should be taken in people with a risk of heart disease, stroke, or high blood pressure, and people using medications that interfere with serotonin metabolism such as antidepressants and prescription weight loss drugs.

Medium-Chain Triglycerides

A saturated fat found in grapeseed oil and coconut oil, medium chain triglycerides (MCT) increase metabolism. Unlike the long chain triglycerides (LCT) that are the form of fat ingested and stored by the body, MCT are quickly converted and burned as energy. Dr. Michael Murray recommends MCT for the treatment of obesity. He suggests integrating one to two tablespoons per day into the diet, for example, as an ingredient in homemade salad dressings. MCT should be introduced into the diet gradually to avoid stomach irritation. A diet low in LCT should be maintained for maximum benefit. People with diabetes, lung or liver disease, or other health conditions should avoid MCT.

Caffeine (Coffee, tea, cola nut, guarana)

The methylxanthines in caffeinated products have a thermogenic effect on the body, which can promote weight loss. However, methylxanthines have a negative effect on the overall health of the body, especially when taken in large quantities for long periods of time. They can increase blood pressure, increase heart rate, and cause insomnia or anxiety. In women, methylxanthines are associated with fibrocystic changes in breast tissue, which can increase the risk of breast cancer. Fibrocystic breast cysts often disappear when methylxanthine intake is discontinued.

Source

Iodine is great for aiding in weight loss especially for those with slow metabolisms or thyroid issues. Usually at the health food store, they recommend Kelp because it has a high concentration of Iodine.

wow great question ! i wanna know too. I realli like one-a-day . .but i'm not taking it for weight loss or anything .... I just have very low iron and calcium.

My daughter has been using a green tea weight loss vitamin. Can't remember the name, but i'll repost when I find out.

The B vitamins help the body regulate energy and metabolism. I'd recommend getting a B complex vitamin in a sublingual liquid form. Drinking green tea daily can also help, plus it contains antioxidant (cancer fighting) qualities.

ETA on another thread someone posted that they take Mega T Green Tea vitamins. Maybe these are the vitamins mentioned above...?

I take the one a day for weight loss. It'sd nothing amazing. I like to take a vitamin everyday. So the "weightloss" part is just a bonus! lol!...I think I've only lost like a few lbs on it. Nothing amazing.

Arbonne has an AMAZING weight loss system that includes vitamins, shakes, chews, etc... I suggest you check it out if you're concerned about weight loss by using vitamins. These products are free from animal products and by-products, and were never tested on animals.

1.CLA

2.Collagen

3.Vitamin C

4.B-Complex

5.Neurotransmitter testing and supplements

6.Enzymes

7.EFA

8.Minerals

9.5-HTP

10.Capsaicin

11.Yohimbe - especially for the lower body - Yea!

12.Exposure to sunlight facilitates weight loss in persons afflicted with obesity - by stimulating the thyroid gland and increasing the body's metabolism ,­so get a tan and get thin!

13.Water - I drink a gallon a day. You should be drinking one-half your body weight in ounces of water each day - Example: If you weigh 150 pounds you should drink 75 ounces of water per day.

14.Exercise of course!!!!

I picked up some Soya Lecithin in England. It is supposed to help break down fat molecules in the body. Not sure if it works, but I'm taking the stuff because I'm bored. Not a vitamin..but available at Health Food Stores.

Calcium..there have been quite a few studies recently on how calcium affects weightloss. The main cnoclusion reached was that lowfat dairy calcium helps you lose the most weight but supplements also make a substantial difference to the amountof weight lost.

Synergy has a great product called Mystica it uses the Acai Berry which is a superfood and was featured (the acai berry) on oprah winfrey. If you like to know more please feel free to contact me
smile.gif

Ok. I didn't officially tell you this.. but taking the mineral supplement Magnesium (alone without Calcium) will make you s**t like the devil.

It's slightly better for your body than over-the-counter laxatives...but please, Be Careful.

i read taking 1000mg. of vit. c will help speed up your metabolism and lose weight. but you need to exercise and eat right too.

hello there.  I recently bought a Chlorophyll and Vitamin D3 liquid vitamin concentrated drink from my local independent grocery store in the vitamin isle.  You may also be able to get this at a health food store but not sure.  Its naturally mint flavored, and you put 1 tbsp in with your water twice daily.  I have already seen significate weight off my waist and a little of my upper thighs.  Its a very gross deep green color...taste much better then it looks.  Maybe try this??

Latest posts

Back