Difference between body cream and body lotion?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whenever I have gone to VS or Bath & Body Works, I have seen body creams and body lotions. When I read the back of the item for the description, there doesn't seem to be a description that tells me the difference. Do you guys know what the difference is?

The lotions are lighter, the creams are more moisturizing. ei: I have really dry skin so I don't even bother buying lotions anymore, if it can be pumped out, it's not going to work for me...too thin...only creams/butters for me.

A person with normal skin could use the cream and they would just use less of it.

Agree with Angie. I have a normal body skin, but I use and prefer body cream a lot since it moisturize longer than body lotion.

Moisturizers work by creating a barrier to hold your own moisture in...if you use the thicker stuff, it's a better barrier.

Creams are definitely thicker and more moisturizing than lotions, but I prefer lotions (especially in the summer). Aside from my oily face, my skin tends to be fairly normal in the summer and a bit dry in the winter. I am very heat intolerant and sweat heavily in the heat or when I exercise, so my skin has to be able to breathe. Some creams are so thick that I feel like I'm suffocating.

Exactly. Body creams are more nourishing / moisturizing compared to body lotions. I prefer creams or even body butters because of my dry skin. But in the summer, lotions are more than enough.

The difference is the quantity of water and oil, because basically both are emulsions of water+oil. Lotions are emulsions where oil is spread (dispersed?) into water (more water than oil). Creams are emulsions where water is spread on oil (more oil than water), making it thicker.

Originally Posted by Maychi Exactly. Body creams are more nourishing / moisturizing compared to body lotions. I prefer creams or even body butters because of my dry skin. But in the summer, lotions are more than enough.
iagree.gif

I would say - do a body cream after a shower, and lotion during the day.

That always seems like a good thing, not sure why haha! I hardly need a cream, because my skin is pretty moisturized itself. But on occasion, I use it when I really feel dry (usually in the winter time).

I agree with the others, creams are much more moisturizing. I normally use lotions in the summer, which work perfectly fine, but creams are definitely good in the wintertime when I am dryer than a brick. LOL

Originally Posted by PerfectMistake I would say - do a body cream after a shower, and lotion during the day.
That always seems like a good thing, not sure why haha! I hardly need a cream, because my skin is pretty moisturized itself. But on occasion, I use it when I really feel dry (usually in the winter time).

Moisturizers are supposed to be applied after the shower, since the skin is softer and it gets absorbed. On dry skin the absorption is almost none.
The difference between creams and creamy lotions, when it comes to dermatologic applications (like topical remedies) the creams are indicated when the area is smaller, and lotions when it's a big area to be covered.

But when it comes to moisturizers , i also prefer creams! I just loove the thickness of them
wink.gif

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I always wondered what was the difference.

Originally Posted by Marisol Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I always wondered what was the difference.

I have dry feet, so the cream stays on so much longer, and penetrates much deeper than the lotion.

Latest posts

Back