-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Hard Water Causing Acne?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 14 OFFLINE   Lorrine24

Lorrine24

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined 05-June 05

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:24 AM

I am serving as an intern in Washington State and where I am has very very hard water. I have noticed my skin is breaking terribly! It hasn't been this bad since I was a kid. Grrr. A lot of it is small red bumps and mostly on my lower cheeks and below the jawline. For this internship I am outside a lot and sweat a lot but I used to workout at home before coming here so I don't think it has anything to do with sweating. I know the water here has a lot of minerals in it and I am wondering if mineral residue is building up on my skin. I wonder if there is a toner to get rid of the residue? I have had the same breakouts on my chest and a little on my arms. It is driving me nuts plus I look terrible!!! I normally wear Bare Escentuals and have been since April but I don't use makeup when I am on duty. Any suggestions??
~The only difference between a kid and a dog is two legs~*My face is under construction!*~Happiness has a way of taking its own sweet time~

#Post 2 of 14 OFFLINE   kaeisme

kaeisme

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts
  • Joined 04-November 05

Posted 08 July 2006 - 03:44 PM

Wow, never thought about all the minerals in hard water causing breakouts...I wonder if you used a Ph balancing cleanser if that would help and some distilled water to rinse...re: the other..they might have some filters that you could use on the faucet heads...
Kae
1/2 Native American / light skin/ green eyes/ black hair/dry sensitive skin
Made With Intent

#Post 3 of 14 OFFLINE   Harlot

Harlot

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Joined 28-June 06

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:06 PM

It could be. Since the water is rough it could be vexing the skin and make it act distressed. For your face, Id say buy a water filter that comes with a pitcher. That way you could wash your face properly. When taking a shower, you could also get a filter faucet like Kae mentioned. I hope all goes well! Posted Image
"Let's put it this way: The way I see it, sex is like chocolate cake. After five days of eating chocolate cake, even chocolate cake doesn't taste that great."
"Right," Ed says, "but after five days of talking about chocolate cake?"
"That cake tastes damn good."~msn article lol

#Post 4 of 14 OFFLINE   Jennifer

Jennifer

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,451 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:23 PM

oh, god, i feel you. i just moved from NYC where the water was freakin' hard and i'm still recovering! i broke out on my body and face. nothing worked for me, but i hope something works for you!

#Post 5 of 14 OFFLINE   LVA

LVA

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,636 posts
  • Joined 28-February 06

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

my mom always said water in different parts of the country makes a difference in your skin and i never believed her ... hmm .. shows how much i know Posted Image
HGs . EDM foundation, Smashbox Primer, MAC MSF Shimpagne, MAC 187, MF LP, Chanel Incognito, Bliss Poetic Waxing Kit, CHI, Matrix Iron Smoother, HSH shampoo/conditioner,

#Post 6 of 14 OFFLINE   4getmeNot

4getmeNot

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

i didn't believe that either..how strange. the only thing i can suggest is maybe a water filter. that might be helpful. eventually your skin will adjust.
beauty is pain.

#Post 7 of 14 OFFLINE   KimC2005

KimC2005

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
  • Joined 13-March 06

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:21 AM

Hard water definately makes a difference. I have broken out way more and one reason is that our water here has gotten more hard.

#Post 8 of 14 OFFLINE   LVA

LVA

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,636 posts
  • Joined 28-February 06

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:24 AM

Posted Image what is hard water ? water from the faucet w/o boiling it first or useing a purifyer ?
HGs . EDM foundation, Smashbox Primer, MAC MSF Shimpagne, MAC 187, MF LP, Chanel Incognito, Bliss Poetic Waxing Kit, CHI, Matrix Iron Smoother, HSH shampoo/conditioner,

#Post 9 of 14 OFFLINE   Angie

Angie

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 30-January 06

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:45 AM

A high content of Minerals in the water is what makes it hard. Soap/cleansers don't work near as well in hard water and they won't rinse off completely, probably why you all broke out. Maybe try cetaphil cleanser with no water, just rub it around and wipe it off. It's horrible on your hair, your clothes will begin to look dingy and the bath tub/toilet is hard to keep clean. HATE hard water! Go see the Culligan man!
Angie

#Post 10 of 14 OFFLINE   PerfectMistake

PerfectMistake

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts
  • Joined 11-May 06

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

I believe it does too - I live in West Texas and our water is terrible...I went to Bothell and the have soft water and my face seriously cleared up after the week I was there - I was so pumped about that! Now I wanna move there HAHA! But now that I am using everday minerals - my face has improved SO much, so maybe I won't have to!
When you're standing at the crossroads, don't know which path to choose...
Let me come along, 'cause even if you're wrong...
I'll stand by you.

Search! A life saver.

#Post 11 of 14 OFFLINE   lipglossqueen10

lipglossqueen10

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 09-July 06

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:59 PM

Hmm...that's very interesting! I'm not sure about my water because it's filtered, but that is very interesting!

#Post 12 of 14 OFFLINE   Lorrine24

Lorrine24

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined 05-June 05

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:38 PM

The house that I originally was staying in and do still a couple times a week has hard water but it is the town water and chlorinated so it isn't that bad. I met a guy here and I have been staying with him a lot and it is his water that is super hard. I noticed how much my skin was breaking out after I started staying with him and taking showers there. It is extremely hard! He doesn't have a water softener but he has said that he will get one. I will be going back to NY in 5 weeks so I am not sure if he will get one before then. I wish he would but it isn't my place to push the issue in my opinion. I plan on coming back out to see him so hopefully by then he will have fixed the problem. Right now I am using spring water from the store to wash my face in instead of in the shower. It is a pain in the butt really but this water is killing my face. My chest is still breaking out but there is nothing else I can do right now. It is going to take awhile for my face to even heal up...bleh!
~The only difference between a kid and a dog is two legs~*My face is under construction!*~Happiness has a way of taking its own sweet time~

#Post 13 of 14 OFFLINE   mylaiva

mylaiva

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 14-April 06

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:56 PM

I believe this too. I live in LA and we have really HARD water, but when I went to New Orleans and Florida last year, my skin was sooo pretty. Hmmm, then again, maybe it was the humidity...

#Post 14 of 14 OFFLINE   x___downtown

x___downtown

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 06-July 06

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

I think I might have that problem too. :x