Bobbi Brown says, "Translucent powders are..." Do you agree?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The following is an except from Bobbi Brown Beauty. (Page 101 - 102)

I believe that the most magical, universal, and workable powder for all skin colors is pale yellow in tone. If I could convert all women to this one tenet of beauty, I would be thrilled! I am just as adamant that translucent powder is not the way to go. Translucent powders are not translucent at all: They create a chalky, pale effect that is quite visible and most unattractive to the eye.

I don't agree. Yellow tones make me look jaundiced and sickly. I like her products, but the colors are awful for me (too much yellow in them). She has some of the most orange-looking foundations I've tried. I worked with a girl who came in looking like an Oompa-Loompa (from Willy Wonka) after going to a Bobbi Brown counter over the weekend. Of course, though, translucent powder can look chalky, but it's made with talc (usually), and is meant to absorb oil. Most people I know who use loose powder have oily skin and the "chalky" effect goes away about a half hour after it's applied (because of the skin's production of oil mixing with the powder). Personally, I'd rather my skin look chalky and pale than flame orange. Her line is not particularly geared for pale skin tones, so I think she tends to forget that pale people have different color needs in make-up. I think her philosophy applies to only about 15% of the population (and not the vast majority as she claims).

I don't agree with her comments really. Most people don't want to look yellow! I think translucent powders are good until your skin develops wrinkles.

Originally Posted by SamanthaBNYC I don't agree. Yellow tones make me look jaundiced and sickly. I like her products, but the colors are awful for me (too much yellow in them). She has some of the most orange-looking foundations I've tried. I worked with a girl who came in looking like an Oompa-Loompa (from Willy Wonka) after going to a Bobbi Brown counter over the weekend. Of course, though, translucent powder can look chalky, but it's made with talc (usually), and is meant to absorb oil. Most people I know who use loose powder have oily skin and the "chalky" effect goes away about a half hour after it's applied (because of the skin's production of oil mixing with the powder). Personally, I'd rather my skin look chalky and pale than flame orange. Her line is not particularly geared for pale skin tones, so I think she tends to forget that pale people have different color needs in make-up. I think her philosophy applies to only about 15% of the population (and not the vast majority as she claims). i agree, i am very pale, and orange is just not a good look!

Not sure that I totally agree with her...I believe she thinks that everyone when they get out in daylight are warm toned to some degree...and especially in pics they can really look washed out..but as I said..not sure that I totally agree with that..

Well, heck, I'm not pale, but I don't do well with yellow tones, either! I tried her foundations and they just made me look like I had jaundice.

She's ok...but I think I'll stick with my MAC for colors.

hmmm...i've never tried any other bb products except lipstick. but i have read many times before about people complaining there's too much yellow in her line. as for the powder, well, all powders look chalky at one point or another!

Originally Posted by pinkbundles hmmm...i've never tried any other bb products except lipstick. but i have read many times before about people complaining there's too much yellow in her line. as for the powder, well, all powders look chalky at one point or another! Well said!! I so agree.I have bought two eye shadows from BB and that's about it. I just don't like the color selection that she has.

CarolAZ

i have to agree! being a woman of color i realized long ago that translucent power is not translucent on everyone! it made me look as though i had my blood drained. not a good look for me!

i agree somewhat about translucent powder. i hate the way it makes me look.

as far as the yellow thing goes, everyone has yellow in them, except that some people just have other colors in their skin, too. i think if there's a little yellow in their foundation, it makes the skin look more alive and youthful, if that makes sense.

i read in a book that if you start out cool and step out in the sun, you become warm. robert jones also believes that.

well, i dont agree with her on the yellow powder, cause it would look so masky and fake-if i might say- on cool toned ladies

BUT, i do kinda agree with her about the translucent powders, a lotta girls don't know how to pick the right shade, and most of them would try to get either a tan or try to lighten her skin with it, and it looks redicelous.

and i hear her about the chalky look, dry skins(mostly aging)+any kind of powders are a big no no.

I don't agree with the comments. I actually used her "pale yellow" pressed powder and I eventually ended up throwing it away. It made me look, well, yellow! Since then, I can't help but think that her line is strange. I haven't bought anything more.

I agree somewhat with the translucent powder thing, but not about the yellow tones. I'm very pale and I'm one of the few that has pink undertones in my skin, wearing yellow toned foundations makes me look very ill and sick. MAC is much better at least you have a choice between pinky and yellow toned shades
laughing.gif

I totaly disagree with her. I can only use transparent. I have tried yellow and it seemed to make things more noticable. I have tried every ivory and pale shades avail and so far only transparent is the only invisable on me..

sorry about my spellings I can't think well this afternoon.

I have to use translucent powder, they make powder too dark in every line. Very few lines even have translucent powder in FAIR that isnt too dark. Ihave never used BB foundations or powders, but I like the lipsticks and eyeshadows

I think it all depends on the person, coloring, preferences, etc.

I am pale. Translucent powder does look chalky on me. I have tried BB pale yellow loose and it warms up my skin. It is my favorite loose powder.

Now I use mineral makeup and I use a finishing powder that is pale yellow. It goes well with my coloring but perhaps not everyone's.

If you are not wearing foundation and feel totally bare without anything on, you should wear a translucent powder that compliments "your" skin tone i.e. - Fair for light to medium skin, Medium for light to tan skin, etc.

With that said, when I am working on a photo shoot, I use "transparent" powder to set the foundation. It is clear and does not take away from the color of your foundation. It can be used on any skin tone, and basically just sets the foundation and tones down the shine. People might be saying "huh?" right now, but honestly it's great. I just did the makeup for an African American male model whose skin was very dark. I applied his foundation and set it with the powder (which is actually white in the container) and all it did was take the shine away.

P.S.: I use Kryolan "Anti-Shine" transparent powder.

Hi,

I agree with her (about the translucent powders) to a certain extent. They're not for all skin tones. There is that chalky, pasty look....yuck!

As for all skin tones being pale yellow based, while it would make things a little easier, it would also wipe out a lot color options and take away some challenges as well.

Latest posts

Back