What does "HG" mean?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I'm still fairly new, I keep noticing that everyone uses abbreviations for everything. What does "HG" mean?

"Holy Grail"

It refers to a certain product which is the user's absolute favourite and she/he keeps coming back to that product and wont use any other product of the same category besides this one. Basically, its their perfect product.

for instance, i would say Vaseline is my HG lip balm my lips are as dry as a winters day and these mositurise my lips so well it just makes it smooth and nice instead of cracking and peeling. i wouldnt use any other lip balms cos this is my absolute favourite - cheap and effective!

hope this helps!!
sheep.gif

Originally Posted by sarahmarin "Holy Grail"
It refers to a certain product which is the user's absolute favourite and she/he keeps coming back to that product and wont use any other product of the same category besides this one. Basically, its their perfect product.

for instance, i would say Vaseline is my HG lip balm my lips are as dry as a winters day and these mositurise my lips so well it just makes it smooth and nice instead of cracking and peeling. i wouldnt use any other lip balms cos this is my absolute favourite - cheap and effective!

hope this helps!!
sheep.gif

ditto! she beat me to it!
laughing.gif

next time you don't understand an abbreviation, there's a link above on the toolbar that says "abbreviations" and has all of them on there
smile.gif

Don't feel bad, I just learned what it meant recently.

Originally Posted by Jennifer next time you don't understand an abbreviation, there's a link above on the toolbar that says "abbreviations" and has all of them on there
smile.gif
koo... thanks..... for the info
rockwoot.gif

Okay, I have one! I know the word lemming means things we want to buy, but where did the actual word "lemming" come from? What does the word mean? It sounds like a little creature or something!!

LMAO! No idea where that came from! Maybe someone else will know... That's kind of like getting the nickname Jack from John... Chuck from Charles and Bill from William
wink.gif

Originally Posted by AprilRayne Okay, I have one! I know the word lemming means things we want to buy, but where did the actual word "lemming" come from? What does the word mean? It sounds like a little creature or something!! Lemming: Any of various short-tailed furry-footed rodents of circumpolar distribution

Originally Posted by mabelwan Lemming: Any of various short-tailed furry-footed rodents of circumpolar distribution aren't lemmings those rodents that commit mass suicide by walking off cliffs? seriously! i think i remember watching a documentary about them in biology class....
here is a link that exposes the myth that they commit mass suicide...i guess my bio teacher was wrong. apparently they just try to migrate and are stupid and fall off cliffs!

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.htm

from the website :

"These deaths are not deliberate "suicide" attempts, however, but accidental deaths resulting from the lemmings' venturing into unfamiliar territories and being crowded and pushed over dangerous ledges."

Perhaps the things we want to buy are equivalent to "venturing into unfamiliar territory?" just trying to make sense of this analogy!
kopfkratz.gif

Originally Posted by Aquilah LMAO! No idea where that came from! Maybe someone else will know... That's kind of like getting the nickname Jack from John... Chuck from Charles and Bill from William
wink.gif
i swear if i knwe this one i'd die happy!

Originally Posted by Aquilah LMAO! No idea where that came from! Maybe someone else will know... That's kind of like getting the nickname Jack from John... Chuck from Charles and Bill from William
wink.gif
jack from john? never in my life heard that one LMAO

Does anyone have an explanation for why we use lemming for things we want to buy??? Anyone? Anyone?

Originally Posted by AprilRayne Does anyone have an explanation for why we use lemming for things we want to buy??? Anyone? Anyone? no idea. i just heard others using it, so i started to and now it's stuck.

Originally Posted by Jennifer no idea. i just heard others using it, so i started to and now it's stuck. me too
biggrin.gif

okie .... after many hard hours (1 second google search LOL) ... i came up w/this ....

definition ONE this is a lemming ....
laughing.gif
jk ... ahem .... plz refer to definition TWO

lemmingjf2.jpg

definition TWO:

A lemming refers to a purchase/wished-for-item which results from reading an enthusiastic post about a new fabulous product. Overcome by compulsion, readers follow like lemmings diving off a cliff.

Originally coined in the alt.fashion newsgroup in the late 90s, the term has permeated numerous beauty boards/forums/sites.

May be used as a noun or verb. May apply to the buyer but more commonly to the item of desire.

A flemming is a fledgeling lemming.

What makeup items are on your current lemming list?

I am totally lemming the entire upcoming MAC collection!

Wow, thanks Kim!! That helps alot!! So when we go out and buy something because we heard how awesome it is, we're being compared to little animals killing themselves!! That's great!! Just great!! LOL!! I guess it makes sense because if I can't find something I'm "lemming" or if I can't afford it, I feel like I could die!! It's a sickness!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by AprilRayne Wow, thanks Kim!! That helps alot!! So when we go out and buy something because we heard how awesome it is, we're being compared to little animals killing themselves!! That's great!! Just great!! LOL!! I guess it makes sense because if I can't find something I'm "lemming" or if I can't afford it, I feel like I could die!! It's a sickness!!
smile.gif
LoL ... glad i could help

Back