-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic

Sponsors

Become a Forum Sponsor!
Photo

Obsession vs fetish

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 16 OFFLINE   monniej

monniej

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts
  • Joined 13-May 05
Reviews

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:43 PM

a guy at work told me that he thought i had a shoe fetish. i always thought that a fetish us something kind of freaky and weird. i'll admit to an obsession, but a fetish? he's weird anyway, but that got me thinking about how others view these terms. i think i'm obsessed with... shoes makeup balance (crooked lines bother me) i don't think i have any fetishs! feel free to set me straight! lmao

#Post 2 of 16 OFFLINE   melpaganlibran

melpaganlibran

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Joined 30-March 06
Reviews

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:15 PM

a lot of people misuse the word fetish and forget about its sexual meanings and connotations. i think an obsession is simply a fixation with something. "Mel has an obsession with matching underwear and bras; She obsesses more about nail polishes than she does make-up." A fetish is a sexual hang-up, people forget that a fetish is defined as something that MUST be present for us to become aroused as- opposed to something that simply pleases us a little bit. "John Doe loved to see women in stockings and black boots but his true fetish was long, toned legs. John could never be attracted to a lady without long, elegant legs" I don't think you have a fetish at all, unless wearing those shoes actually turns you on and makes you ready for love. The guy at work should choose his words more carefully, lest he be misunderstood! people are silly, huh. hugs, mela
when you know better, you do better.-Maya Angelou

#Post 3 of 16 OFFLINE   girl_geek

girl_geek

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,578 posts
  • Joined 10-February 04
Reviews

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by melpaganlibran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a lot of people misuse the word fetish and forget about its sexual meanings and connotations.
i think an obsession is simply a fixation with something. "Mel has an obsession with matching underwear and bras; She obsesses more about nail polishes than she does make-up."
A fetish is a sexual hang-up, people forget that a fetish is defined as something that MUST be present for us to become aroused as- opposed to something that simply pleases us a little bit.
"John Doe loved to see women in stockings and black boots but his true fetish was long, toned legs. John could never be attracted to a lady without long, elegant legs"
I don't think you have a fetish at all, unless wearing those shoes actually turns you on and makes you ready for love. The guy at work should choose his words more carefully, lest he be misunderstood!
people are silly, huh.
hugs,
mela
Exactly! The word "fetish" by definition means that you are sexually turned on by the item/activity! (In the extreme case, the fetish is the only way you can get turned on!) In psychology, "obesession" has a negative connotation, meaning you're so obsessed with something that it interferes with your daily life, although I think a lot of people use the word more casually in modern English! (And yes, I took Abnormal Psychology one semester as an elective, lol)

Straight from dictionary.com (omitting unrelated definitions):

fetish
3. Psychology. any object or nongenital part of the body that causes a habitual erotic response or fixation.

obsession
–noun 1. the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.
2. the idea, image, desire, feeling, etc., itself.
3. the state of being obsessed.
4. the act of obsessing.
5. Compulsive preoccupation with a fixed idea or an unwanted feeling or emotion, often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety.
6. A compulsive, often unreasonable idea or emotion.
Acne info and NEW mu pictures in my notepad! Updated 11/19/06!Avatar created with Yahoo Avatars26 Yrs Old ~ Very Fair, Oily Skin ~ Warm Undertones ~ Blue Eyes ~ Dark Blonde Hair

#Post 4 of 16 OFFLINE   speerrituall1

speerrituall1

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Joined 08-April 05
Reviews

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by melpaganlibran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a lot of people misuse the word fetish and forget about its sexual meanings and connotations.
i think an obsession is simply a fixation with something. "Mel has an obsession with matching underwear and bras; She obsesses more about nail polishes than she does make-up."
A fetish is a sexual hang-up, people forget that a fetish is defined as something that MUST be present for us to become aroused as- opposed to something that simply pleases us a little bit.
"John Doe loved to see women in stockings and black boots but his true fetish was long, toned legs. John could never be attracted to a lady without long, elegant legs"
I don't think you have a fetish at all, unless wearing those shoes actually turns you on and makes you ready for love. The guy at work should choose his words more carefully, lest he be misunderstood!
people are silly, huh.
hugs,
mela
Posted Image He may have a shoe fetish--noticing your shoes. Think about it!
Live, Love, Laugh!

#Post 5 of 16 OFFLINE   Kelly

Kelly

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Joined 16-November 05
Reviews

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:05 PM

Way to kick butt...Mela and Jennifer. Awesome responses! And Speerrituall1 - too funny!
36/married/SAHM of 3/future host family

Send Out To Give: www.send2give.info

#Post 6 of 16 OFFLINE   monniej

monniej

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts
  • Joined 13-May 05
Reviews

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:18 PM

i agree absolutely! my mut sisters have it right, as ususal. i think he has the fetish!

#Post 7 of 16 OFFLINE   Maja

Maja

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Joined 12-December 05
Reviews

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree absolutely! my mut sisters have it right, as ususal. i think he has the fetish!
Yup, don't worry about it. You're just obsessed Posted Image

#Post 8 of 16 OFFLINE   4getmeNot

4getmeNot

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06
Reviews

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:04 AM

Hmm I think I have a shoe fetish. Hott shoes make me randy. haha. Posted Image
beauty is pain.

#Post 9 of 16 OFFLINE   Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Joined 23-May 05
Reviews

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:10 AM

Yeah, that's what I've always understood. Shoe Fetish-ist are mostly male (although not all of them)..while we girls, when we like to have a lot of shoes, are health-ily shoe obsessed. I only know one thing, if I bought as many shoes as I wanted, there would only be one word to describe me: BROKE.!!! Posted Image

#Post 10 of 16 OFFLINE   alexandra2310

alexandra2310

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 18-August 06
Reviews

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:50 AM

:D

#Post 11 of 16 OFFLINE   SimplyElegant

SimplyElegant

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • Joined 25-July 06
Reviews

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

I don't think it's a fetish.

#Post 12 of 16 OFFLINE   StereoXGirl

StereoXGirl

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,495 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06
Reviews

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

lol...very interesting!

I agree with everyone here. Posted Image

#Post 13 of 16 OFFLINE   bebexkhmergrl

bebexkhmergrl

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Joined 27-August 05
Reviews

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:02 PM

I don't really like the word "fetish", it sounds so... sexual! But many people use the word so casually, maybe for one because fetish is shorter to say and it's one of those "ishhh" words that sound good (like shish-kabob). I still prefer the word obsession over fetish.

#Post 14 of 16 OFFLINE   bluebird26

bluebird26

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,126 posts
  • Joined 27-August 05
Reviews

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by speerrituall1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Posted Image He may have a shoe fetish--noticing your shoes. Think about it!
yeah, or he could be gay

#Post 15 of 16 OFFLINE   monniej

monniej

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts
  • Joined 13-May 05
Reviews

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by bluebird26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, or he could be gay

that's interesting! are you saying you think he wants my shoes for himself?

#Post 16 of 16 OFFLINE   Penelope

Penelope

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06
Reviews

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:25 PM

Quote:
are you saying you think he wants my shoes for himself?
I don't think gay guys want to wear women's shoes. Are you thinking of transvestites maybe?Posted Image