The Sims alternative - Secondlife.com

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dad told me about this, so I checked it out. Unfortunately their computer wasn't up to par, but I'm going to try it on my new laptop. It's like the Sims, but the other characters are actually other people.....real people from all over the world. Maybe we could have our MUT Convention at Secondlife.com. Has anyone else seen/heard/tried it yet?

MSNBC.com

Living a double life on the Internet

Secondlife.com allows users to create virtual world

COMMENTARY

By Tony Maciulis

Senior producer

MSNBC

Updated: 4:39 p.m. ET Sept. 29, 2006

In the virtual world, my name is Tony Whizzenhunt. I wanted the last name “Tamale,†but it was taken.

I am six feet, three inches tall, and incredibly buff. My blonde hair is cropped clean, but with just enough product to say, “Yeah, I’m the boy next door… but you live in Hollywood, baby.â€

Today I joined more than 780,000 people living a double life on the Internet. More precisely, a second life at Secondlife.com.

Second Life presents an alternative universe where everyone can be what they want to be. In the form of avatars-the Internet icons, not Hindu gods-people can meet, dance, and explore in perfect physical form as any personality they choose.

At Second Life, everyday people can be virtual stars, corporate giants, or the leaders of the free world. And everybody looks amazing. No one is fat or bald. Everyone dresses like a Spice Girl.

These cyberatti perform plays, sell real estate, and party at Studio 54, which still exists in this parallel universe.

It starts to get a touch creepy when it occurs to you that this person you’re dancing with most likely looks nothing like this back here on earth.

Sure, I may really be buff and blonde and 22, but, I mean, others could be lying.

That’s the appeal, of course. If it were real life they would call it work. And, as Internet behavior expert Michael Shelby explained, these virtual worlds can sharpen the imagination and help people learn problem-solving skills. They also give a new life to people most in need of escape--the disabled, homebound, and even senior citizens.

“It expands horizons, and it's a chance to meet people from all over the planet with no racial or socio-economic boundaries,†Shelby said.

And it’s also a chance for an average Joe to be a superstar in a cyber secret garden that has yet to be Disney-fied or turned into a sitcom.

But that’s coming.

Last month, singer Suzanne Vega became the first major recording artist to perform at Secondlife.com, and former Virginia Governor Mark Warner has appeared there, as well. He promises to hold a virtual town hall there before the 2008 presidential election.

Advertisers are knocking on the cyber doors, as well. Right now, the currency of Second Life, called the Linden, has no value in the real world. It won’t be long before the Linden is tied to your PayPal account so your real life personality can wear the Timberland boots you bought at a virtual store.

But in the meantime, I was proud to stumble upon something just before it became too big and popular.

For just a brief moment, I lived in a world without The Gap.

And I was beautiful.

© 2006 MSNBC Interactive

SOURCE:

URL: Living a double life on the Internet - The Most - MSNBC.com

© 2006 MSNBC.com

I actually played this for the first time a few days ago.. It's interesting. I think the basic idea is GREAT but the graphics in it are a little weak. and the walking animation is just terrible lol

Call me a dork/nerd/loser, but I joined secondlife.com right now just for the heck of it. I think mostly just to play with my avatar.

If you're a dork than I must be a huge dork. I love stuff like that. I still haven't tried on my laptop, but I'm scrolling through the gazillion Yahoo Widgets....

Oh no.. I am almost afraid to go check the site out. I get addicted to games like that soooo fast!

Originally Posted by eightthirty /img/forum/go_quote.gif If you're a dork than I must be a huge dork. I love stuff like that. I still haven't tried on my laptop, but I'm scrolling through the gazillion Yahoo Widgets.... Haha, I'm still checking this thing out. For whatever reason it slows my computer down to an excrutiating crawl. Gotta figure out how to fix that. Anyway, looks like I could become addicted if the PC doesn't act up anymore. Thanks!

Originally Posted by mehrunissa /img/forum/go_quote.gif Haha, I'm still checking this thing out. For whatever reason it slows my computer down to an excrutiating crawl. Gotta figure out how to fix that. Anyway, looks like I could become addicted if the PC doesn't act up anymore. Thanks! I haven't had a chance to explore it further, but I'm not sure if I would prefer that over the Sims 2. I can't get my Sims 2 to install on my new computer b/c sound file 1 won't process. I don't want to download SecondLife if I'm not sure I want to use it. Keep me posted if you continue to use it and let me know how you're liking it. From the sound of it, I'd get very impatient having to wait on my computer. I think it's the graphics that kill it (in regards to speed).

Originally Posted by eightthirty /img/forum/go_quote.gif I haven't had a chance to explore it further, but I'm not sure if I would prefer that over the Sims 2. I can't get my Sims 2 to install on my new computer b/c sound file 1 won't process. I don't want to download SecondLife if I'm not sure I want to use it. Keep me posted if you continue to use it and let me know how you're liking it. From the sound of it, I'd get very impatient having to wait on my computer. I think it's the graphics that kill it (in regards to speed). Oh yeah, it's definitely the graphics - it works smoothly at first, but the more intricate the environment gets, the choppier your movement turns, and eventually it'll just freeze. Also, turns out the members are nice, but can be a bit snobby, especially if they're paid members. I dunno, I want to try Sims too, but SecondLife is a good alternative if you can't. I had fun changing my avatar around, with the makeup, hair, and clothes, hehe.

Thanks for the info Melissa! I've never even played The Sims before (Shhh! I know!), so this is worth checking into! Thanks!

lol cute idea... Interesting. I'll have to check it out. And yes I am a nerd!

I have a paid account on secondlife but unfortunately I don't have the time to play it. It's more like live chat and doing some stuff like you do on Sims game.

Sounds like a blast! I used to be so obsessed with The Sims...but I am too busy taking care of my "real" life haha!!

I'm definently going to check this out. I still have never played any of The Sims games and I've been dying to =[

I love the Sims, although I think I like building and decorating houses more than actually playing the game, I have hundreds of downloaded sofas, chairs, beds etc. I will have to check this out! Thanks for sharing.

I have always wanted the SIMS game, so I will have to check this site out. thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back