Is your complexion a winter, summer, autumn or spring?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is your complexion a winter, summer, autumn, or spring? Find your season and learn what colors are right for you. Justine Kim writes.

Why is it that when you slip into that fabulous red dress or your favorite blue sweater, your spirit is instantly lifted? That special piece of clothing can make you feel beautiful and radiant. Aside from the fit and material, the color could be the major attraction.

Color is our best weapon when it comes to fashion. A flattering shade can give your skin and appearance a healthy glow. Conversely, the wrong hue can give you a sickly, washed-out appearance.

Colors and Seasons

Your complexion and coloring determines which colors work best on you. Take careful analysis of your skin tone, natural hair color and eye color. To help find the undertone color of your skin, look at the inside of your arm in natural daylight. Then, with the help of the list below, decide which season most accurately describes your complexion. Once you know your season, you will have a personalized guideline of colors and shades that work best for you.

Winter

Winter is a cool tone. People with winter complexions have blue or pink/rosy undertones. Skin can be pale and porcelain white, yellowish-olive, or dark. Winters are generally brunettes with deeply colored eyes. Many Asians and African Americans fall into this category. Natural white-blondes may also be winters.

Best Colors for Winter

Those with the winter color profile have a lot of depth to their coloring and a lot of contrast between their hair color, eye color and skin tone. Winters should wear hues that are sharp, stark and clear. You will look best in intense, rich colors, like black, navy blue, red, and hot pink. These powerful shades will compliment your coloring. For lighter colors, wear bright white or icy pastels, such as like cool blues, pinks and yellows.

Worst Colors for Winter

Avoid dressing in earthy tones and subdued colors like beige, orange and gold. They will make you look faded and ashen.

Summer

Summer is also a cool tone and like winter complexions, the summers among us have blue or pink undertones. Skin is very pale and pink. Summer coloring usually occurs in natural blondes, and even pale-skinned brunettes with pale eyes. If you’re a trying to discriminate between winter and summer, winters are usually brunettes and summers are mostly natural blondes.

Best Colors for Summer

Summers have a low level of contrast between their hair, eye color and skin tone. For you to look your best, choose soft neutrals and pastels, as well as muted colors with cool undertones. Powder blue, dusty pink, mauve, lavender, plum, and pale yellow are all great color choices.

Worst Colors for Summer

Avoid intense, vivid hues because they will look harsh and drown you out. Nor should you wear earth tones. Stay away from black and orange.

Autumn

Autumn is a warm tone and people with this complexion have golden undertones in their skin, like a pale peach, golden beige or golden brown. Many redheads and brunettes with golden brown eyes fall into this category. However, golden blonde and black hair coloring can also fall into this range.

Best Colors for Autumn

You have a lot of depth to your coloring and skin tone. Rich golden, spicy, and earthy colors will accent your complexion. Therefore, look for a warm undertone when selecting a color. You can wear both muted and rich warm colors that are seen in autumn leaves and spice colors, such as camel, beige, olive, orange, gold, and dark brown. You will also look great in a rich warm grey.

Worst Colors for Autumn

Stay away from clear, bright colors and black and white, which will make your look tired and faded. Also steer clear of pastels and blue tones, which will look cold against your complexion and give you a pale appearance.

Spring

Spring is also a warm tone. People of this complexion have subtle golden undertones and are usually creamy white or peach. Springs have extremely light, ivory skin color. People of this coloring are usually natural golden blondes, auburn, or strawberry blond redheads. Springs also have very clear, light blue and green colored eyes. Freckles and rosy cheeks are also characteristics of this group.

If you can’t decide weather you are an autumn or a spring, springs tend to have pale eyes while autumns have dark eyes.

Best Colors for Spring

Springs can wear very pale, soft colors, such as peach, camel, golden yellow, golden brown, and aqua. You will also look fabulous in ivory, bright greens, true reds, clear blues and coral.

Your colors may be particularly hard to find because they can never be too muted or too dark.

Worst Colors for Spring

Avoid black and white, which are too contrasting for you. Also stay away from dark, dull colors.

I *think* I am a Spring, though Summer would be a close second. I have pale skin, blue eyes, and blonde hair, but have never been able to figure out if I have warm or cool undertones -- in some makeup brands, the cool foundations match the best; in others, the warm matches best! (However my skin does flush pink very easily!) But since most of the colors recommended for Springs look good on me (except for ivory, which is too similar to my skintone and washes me out), while most of the Summer colors are too pale and wash me out (except for pale yellow which looks surprisingly good on me), I'm probably more of a Spring!

thank you, I cann never tell though
frown.gif

I've always thought of myself as an autumn, but I guess I'm a bit more of a spring. I don't know...I think the more intense, "autumnal" hues look best on me, but I feel like I can pull off most color combinations anyway.

I think i'm a winter according to this b/c I have yellowish-olive skin and look best in intense, rich colors, like black, navy, red, and hot pink. BUT I thought I was a warm NOT cool tone so now i'm confused. lol

I am winter but it tells me to stay away from gold. I love gold though and i thought it looks nice on my skin though. But i hate the way red looks on my skin and that is supposed to be a good color for me.

I've always had trouble figuring out my skin tone, but if I think about which colors look the best on me they indicate that I'm a winter. Maybe I'll try wearing more of those colors and see what people say.

Thanks for the post.

I think I'm winter. I have hazel eyes, pale skin (with rosy undertones) and light brown/dark blonde hair. I must be a winter because gold -especially jewelery- looks terrible on me.

Cool and thanks for the info, I think I'm between Autumn and Winter lol.

I can't go by this because the colors they are saying I look best in is way off base.

Latest posts

Back